Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drake Storm
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing a number of times, our whole play group didn't understand why the turn order for using your prestige went clockwise from the player with the most. Sure it makes it simpler, but also makes it very unfair to the player with the 2nd most prestige especially if they are sitting to the right of the the player with the most.

So I think from now on, we will play that it goes in prestige order, with ties broken by closest to start player.

Was also thinking of allowing a player to keep using their prestige until they tie or go below another player, at which point that player would be the active player to use their prestige. Visually it would then be easy to see whose turn it is to use their prestige. This might be way too powerful though, so would have to think about it.

Our group also seemed to think that 1 prestige for start player was too powerful. If you are start player you are guarenteed equal to or more actions than the other players. Also if 1 player always picks start player if you are sitting to the left of them you have an advanatge, same thing happens in Agricola.

I was thinking about having a turn order like in Caylus, or something similar. Then when using prestige, maybe have a spot: 1 Prestige = Moves you up one slot on the turn order track, and add a spot that is: 3 Prestige = Moves you up two slots (or maybe moves you to the top).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrakeStorm wrote:
After playing a number of times, our whole play group didn't understand why the turn order for using your prestige went clockwise from the player with the most. Sure it makes it simpler, but also makes it very unfair to the player with the 2nd most prestige especially if they are sitting to the right of the the player with the most.

Well, I disagree that it's "unfair" to the player with the 2nd most prestige...they know the rules and the result is hardly a surprise. To me the question is whether your variant results in a better game. I've actually tried it this way a few times and I prefer the original rules. You don't have to spend all of your prestige...if someone beats you this year, save some prestige so that you lock up 1st place for next year.

Quote:
Was also thinking of allowing a player to keep using their prestige until they tie or go below another player, at which point that player would be the active player to use their prestige. Visually it would then be easy to see whose turn it is to use their prestige. This might be way too powerful though, so would have to think about it.

Been there, done that. This makes the festivals take much longer, adding a lot of time to the game and doesn't yield enough benefit imo to be worth it. While I think your first variant is ok but just not to my preference, I wouldn't try this one again.

Quote:
Our group also seemed to think that 1 prestige for start player was too powerful.

Now this is one I personally wouldn't touch. I assume that the costs have been balanced through far more playtesting than I've been able to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.