Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I am a brand spanking new Pastor (just over a month now!) and I was just wondering how many Pastors are on here? I know boardgaming is big in Christian communities and I have seen various users with the "Christian" microbadge but I have always how many Pastors are among those. If your a Pastor I'd like to introduce myself!

My name is Carl Garber and I am an Associate Pastor in Vauxhall, AB. My denomination is Mennonite Brethren. I am 29 and just graduated from Bethany Bible College. I have been married for 4 years and love it! I'm looking forward to helping young marrieds and youth grow in their walk with Christ....and also maybe introduce them to a game or twoninja

Well, that is me. I'd love to get to know fellow boardgaming Pastors so feel free to respond to this thread or drop me a line!

God Bless!

Carl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
There are currently 18 owners of the "ordained" microbadge(s).

EDIT: now you can be one, too. Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tscook wrote:

It appears that I'm a Pope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CarlG wrote:
Hi all, I am a brand spanking new Pastor (just over a month now!) and I was just wondering how many Pastors are on here? I know boardgaming is big in Christian communities and I have seen various users with the "Christian" microbadge but I have always how many Pastors are among those. If your a Pastor I'd like to introduce myself!

My name is Carl Garber and I am an Associate Pastor in Vauxhall, AB. My denomination is Mennonite Brethren. I am 29 and just graduated from Bethany Bible College. I have been married for 4 years and love it! I'm looking forward to helping young marrieds and youth grow in their walk with Christ....and also maybe introduce them to a game or twoninja

Well, that is me. I'd love to get to know fellow boardgaming Pastors so feel free to respond to this thread or drop me a line!

God Bless!

Carl
Congrats.

How do you obtain employment out of this? Are you "posted" to a church? Do you have to establish your own branch?

Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several Pastors on the Geek overall. Tom Vassel being one of the most prominent.

Latria one of my favorite RSP former posters is a pastor but he doesn't post much anymore.

If there are any other pastors in here they must be mainly lurkers or I somehow missed their profession. We had a seminarian or two in the past but I think their study load eventually cut down their active participation in BGG.

So just a question... we have enough Mennonites here in Easter Washington that I see them around. But I don't know much about your denomination. Visually in dress and lifestyle you are someplace between Amish and mainstream Protestant. So what would you say are the similarities and variations between your culture and rituals when compared to other facets of Christianity? What are the doctrinal tenets (if any) you think might make you distinct?

Welcome to RSP and God Bless you in your work.

Love in Christ,

Meerkat --- So definitely not a pastor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
malacandra is a Lutheran pastor. Apparently he doesn't have an ordained badge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an atheist, but I have a pastor in my gaming group.

Welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yup, changed the Avatar for self-promotion.
badge
Go vote in the 24-Hour RPG Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
tscook wrote:

Trying to remember where I've seen this before. Is it in the Principia Discordia?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is at least one LDS bishop active in RSP, which would be the equivalent of a pastor. Brother Jeff, of the cow avatar (jeff brown).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An open-eyed man falling into the well
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
"I don’t believe in magic that works whether or not you believe in it!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
[POPE card]

Trying to remember where I've seen this before. Is it in the Principia Discordia?

Yep. (:

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/book/43.php

-Your friendly neighborhood Discordian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a member of the Ordo Templi Orientis and a pastor. My congregation has been meeting in homes and shared spaces since 2005 but some time early next year will be moving into our own space, a previously vacant storefront on Main St in our city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
or zombies or ...
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been ordained by the Universal Life Church, as a Reverend.

Does that count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yup, changed the Avatar for self-promotion.
badge
Go vote in the 24-Hour RPG Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anonymouse512 wrote:
Quote:
[POPE card]

Yep. (:

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/book/43.php

-Your friendly neighborhood Discordian

Thought so. I wish I knew where my copy went. Maybe it's time to order another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame is a pastor. He mentioned it in his GW thread. I've never seen him post in RSP though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
madmanw wrote:
I have been ordained by the Universal Life Church, as a Reverend.

Does that count?

I thought that the ULC did have some states that had challenged them due to a case against the founder for tax evasion... but that was in the past, it appears... unless this wiki article is not correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you be a Pastor without being ordained?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes, the ULC ordination. I've got one of those. I think everyone in radio has one of those, at least the on air types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
tstone wrote:
Oh yes, the ULC ordination. I've got one of those. I think everyone in radio has one of those, at least the on air types.

Interesting... why do radio types feel a need to have this? Just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although not currently active as a Pastor,
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
is ordained as a Minister in the Disciples of Christ denomination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! More responses to this thread then my actual game related posts......not sure how to take that...

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!

Thanks Kelsey for the microbade insight!

Blue Mountain -some denominations place you. Many don't. Pretty much you apply for a Pastoral job, and if you get hired your a Pastor! Most churches want you have at least a BA (like I do in Biblical and Theological Studies) and preferably an MA. If your doing youth work the standards usually drop. Now that I have the job here I am going through a credentialling process with the MB conference which will make me the equivalent of ordained (not sure if my denomination uses that term). The interview process differs church to church. You normally send in your application, do some interviews with the church board and then "candidate" -you go to the church and preach, meet people, and then the church meets and votes on you. A guy I know did the candidating process in one day and left after a pot luck lunch. Mine was 10 days. I met people for lunc and supper everyday for a week. Led a youth talk Saturday night, and then shared my testimony and preached Sunday morning. It was very exhausting! Me and my wife were with people pretty much from noon til midnight everyday visiting! ANd not one single boardgame to boot:shake The church then voted on me the following tuesday and need ay least a 90% acceptance for me to Pastor.

Meerkat -haha, I have to explain this all the time so I won't mind doing it once more! Mennonites, Mennonite Brethren, the Aumish, Hutterites, and other denominations as well all come from a loose movement called Anabaptism. Pretty much anybody that wasen't Catholic or Protestant during the reformation was called an anabaptist which was a derogatory term. It means "re-baptiser" which was the common theme all these groups had in common.

A lot of what makes anabaptists unique are gone today. At the time of the reformation we beleived that church and state should be separate. Now that seems to be a given; then we got killed for it. connected to this is what we call beleivers baptism. This is the idea that only those that actually beleive in Jesus are Christians. Baptism is a decision to follow Jesus. This went against the thinknig of the time that you were saved when you were baptised as a child. Another thing we beleived in was that you shouldn't convert anyone by force. Connected to this was the beleif in pacifism. We don't beleive in fighting in war or doing violence to others. Today this is the main thing that distinguishes us from other denominations and causes tension in mainstream society. Almost forgot, Anabaptists are also big on "the priesthood of all beleivers" ie. everyone can read their Bible and discern together what it means; its not just a task for the priests.

Quick recap:

1) separation of church and state.
2) beleivers baptism
3) Converting by choice
4) Pacifism
5) priesthood of all beleivers.

As for the way we dress. It's all over the place! I have been told that there are 100s of sects of Mennos. The denomination I am a part of would be indistinguishable from any other evangelical church. We wear "normal" clothes and don't have any wierd restrictions. I hope this helps a bit. If you have more questions feel free to fire away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ordinary Evidence
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was raised in the Mennonite church, in the Kitchener-Waterloo area, a small town called Elmira.

I left the church and christianity when I had my first child, a daughter. I could not in good conscience expose her to the misogyny of Christianity in general, and the Mennonite faith in particular.

Has this improved in the last 14 years?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
OrdinaryEvidence wrote:
I was raised in the Mennonite church, in the Kitchener-Waterloo area, a small town called Elmira.

I left the church and christianity when I had my first child, a daughter. I could not in good conscience expose her to the misogyny of Christianity in general, and the Mennonite faith in particular.

Holy Loaded Question, Batman!!!

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ordinary Evidence
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
OrdinaryEvidence wrote:

Holy Loaded Question, Batman!!!

Darilian

We Mennos like our questions loaded.

And our head cheese. And summer sausage. And apple pie with a slice of old cheese.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha!! wow! Just throws out the loaded questions like it ain't no thang! Well, we would have to get into what exactly you felt was mysogynistic for me to answer your question. Christianity has always been about loving everybody, so I am not sure where there is room for a hatred of women in it! Are you an old colony Mennonite? Elmira you say? Is that near Listowel? because if it is you probably know some people I know! My cousin married a girl from Elmira (I think?). I'm also not that familar with Mennonite going ons, I am actually Mennonite Brethren.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, fairs enough Kenneth! I love talking Religion.....Not so much politics....however, I only like it if it is done in a respectful way with genuine interest in understanding. It seems like that might actually happen here

I think there is also a strong tie between boardgaming and religion. I mean, I think boardgaming is quite rare among the non-faith population. However, people of different faiths are not into the party scene and half the stuff on tv or in theatre's is gross. So for hanging out that leaves: Visiting (aka coffee), Sports (about 10% of the population only), Eating, and boardgaming! I assume it's similar in other faiths but I could be wrong. But in most of the Christian circles I roll in people game. Especially age 30 and down. Of course, this is mostly of the TTR, Carcasonne, Settlers variety. But I'll take what I can get and convert who I can to some slightly heavier stuffninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.