Popular Tags: [View All]
David Thornton
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the Space Marines in Mission 2, I ended my turn with a single marine on each side of the board in position to "seal" the GS entryways. By a strict reading of the mission's victory conditions I appear to have won, even though my opponent had plenty of Genestealers on the board to shred me to pieces on his turn. Do I have to hold the entry points until the end of his turn, or do I win because he was unable to complete the reinforcement phase of his turn? We ruled I won, but wanted to double check with the experts!

On a sadder note, I am actually considering selling this game! It just doesn't hit the table that much and the set up/tear down takes almost as long as the play time! I am extremely poor and the greedy gamer in me is thinking about all the games I want but can't afford. I mean, incursion is only $27 shipped right now, so I could get that and probably two or three more games on my want list that my wife might actually play with me if I sold it...

Help! (and Thanks!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just went and checked mission II in the book.
To paraphrase: 'The SM player wins if they block all genestealer entry points or, failing that, destroy all genestealers'

If you take it literally I would say you could take your situation as an SM win but you would first have to hold the points until after the genestealer player has had their turn (after they have made their moves you check whether victory conditions are met). In several plays I have only played mission II once where the space marines didn't win easily in just a handful of turns and after these experiences it is my least favourite of the 12 missions that come in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Plays MUCH better with 1st edition rules, at least the genestealers have a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just about to ask the same question. So... which is it? Do the Space Marines win immediately, or do they have to survive to the end of the Genestealer's turn while holding those locations?

I was able to get my Space Marines in position to block all entrances (and put them on overwatch at those locations) and the Genestealer player said I'd won. I was actually the one suggesting that the mission win conditions aren't checked until a phase following the Genestealer's turn... and of course rolled all 1's and 2's with my Assault Cannon and got slaughtered by 'Stealers at BOTH ends of the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The turn sequence, from page 8 of the rules:
Quote:
SPACE MARINE TURN
GENESTEALER TURN
MISSION STATUS PHASE

And on page 18 (emphasis mine):
Quote:
MISSION STATUS PHASE
The Mission Status phase is used to check if either player has won.

So, I would rule that your marines needed to survive a Genestealer turn before declaring victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clearing that up (although she's still trying to argue that other sentences in the rules regarding victory condition could be interpreted to mean the opposite).
So... I was right ... which means I lost. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.