Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if anyone thought speed/reaction would be a good mechanic, used for games that depend on a fast reaction time by players. I know it's a game element that can be rather polarizing, as people tend to either like them or not like games with this element. However, I didn't really see any good way to find these games.

I didn't know if there were enough games that fit the description for it to be valid... here are the ones I thought of off the top of my head:

Jungle Speed
Spoons
Slap Jack
Zingo!
Splash Attack
Lightning Reaction
Wicked Witches Way
SWAT!
Factory Fun
Pack & Stack
JAB: Realtime Boxing
SET
Bongo!
Code Omega
Ubongo
Cash-a-Catch
Dancing Eggs
Snorta!
Adios Amigos
Light Speed
It's Mine!
Split Second
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Also:
Ricochet Robots
Icehouse
IceTowers
Light Speed
Ubongo Series
Boggle
TAMSK
Trick 'r Treat

oh, and certainly there have been geeklists about such realtime games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the mechanic term could be "manual dexterity."

There are lots of games/sports such as billiards, basketball, baseball, and so on that are not in BGG database.

Hungry Hungry Hippos comes to mind as a kids game where each person is trying to grab marbles out of a common pool. Lots of noise, lots of marbles rolling around. Kids love it.

Some other games have a count-down timer and you don't want to be making a move when the timer goes off.

So yes there are games in BGG database where "manual dexterity" is required or an advantage. Seems like a reasonable mechanic to add.

The problem of course is the effort to characterize the games. Also as you add mechanics, then the list that you have to consider gets longer and longer. Eventually you get to the same state that families are in. With 1000+ characteristics how can you remember them all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
herace wrote:

Except that some of the examples don't involve dexterity; even a paralyzed person could play Set well. It's simply about reaction speed - the reaction can simply be saying a word.

Conversely, there are many manual dexterity games that don't involve reaction speed (e.g. Crokinole, Pitch Car, Tumbling Dice etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
herace wrote:

Except that some of the examples don't involve dexterity; even a paralyzed person could play Set well. It's simply about reaction speed - the reaction can simply be saying a word.

Conversely, there are many manual dexterity games that don't involve reaction speed (e.g. Crokinole, Pitch Car, Tumbling Dice etc.)

Yeah, Russ clarifies what I'm really talking about here. I'm talking more about reaction time here than dexterity, although some games certainly have both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few more in that category:
Ligretto
Blink
Beep! Beep!
Ghost Blitz
Confusion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the idea - especially for kids` games there are many of these ...
classic:
Carla Cat
Card games:
Quirrly
Manimals
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are you looking for? More examples of games with this mechanic, or input on whether or not it should be classified as an official mechanic on BGG?

I'm in favor of establishing it, since it's one of my favorite elements in games. If you want a list of other games that involve speed/reaction/pattern recognition, I can provide one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a very large number of party games that involve reaction time: Wits & Wagers, Taboo, Time's Up!.

Even a game like Apples to Apples has a speed element, if played by the rules (though few people do). In the printed rules, only x-1 players get to play cards, where x is the number of players besides the judge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bongo!
SET
Santy Anno
Galaxy Trucker
Carla Cat
Bears!
Lift Off
Fast Figure
Toru

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
"Chess", with a 'clock'!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
jtakagi wrote:
What are you looking for? More examples of games with this mechanic, or input on whether or not it should be classified as an official mechanic on BGG?

I was told that a mechanic needed 25 games that used it in order to be considered, so I just wanted to throw it out there. Looks like it definitely would qualify, but I just wanted to make sure people thought it was a good addition and that there would be enough games that use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster Mash
Slamwich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of these may be repeats, but here are some of the games I own that use this mechanic:

Adios Amigos
Affentanz
Affenraffen
Anomia
Asteroyds
At Full Throttle
Attribute
Treasure, Ready, Go!
Barnyard Buddies
Bello
Bugs & Co
Carrousel
Chopstick Dexterity MegaChallenge 3000
Trigger!
Dschamál
Fast Food
Fauna junior
Hands Up
Flinke Fliegen
Frantic Frankfurt
Halli Galli + its offshoots
Hurry'Cup!
HysteriCoach
In Extremis

Once the category is established I can submit more through the game correction process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
jtakagi wrote:

I was told that a mechanic needed 25 games that used it in order to be considered, so I just wanted to throw it out there. Looks like it definitely would qualify, but I just wanted to make sure people thought it was a good addition and that there would be enough games that use it.

Well, there is already the category "Real-time":
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamecategory/1037/real-time

Does that not accomplish what you're looking for? Is there some reason it needs to be a "mechanic" instead of a "category"? (The distinction is murky to me, but maybe it's just because I'm sleepy now...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
Those who know do not speak.
badge
Those who speak do not know.
mbmbmbmbmb
My two favourites in this category are Crazy Circus (AKA Animal Circus) and Ricochet Robots, and I see that they are both with the category of 'real time'. I feel that this is adequate as a category and agree with the above mentioned doubt as to whether or not it should be a 'mechanic'. For the two games I've played most in this category I feel that Real-Time describes them with accuracy and completeness. (I might like to see Spatial Analysis added as a category. It's in the wiki as a category, but only for Abstract Strategy games.)

A Category is after all a grouping of 'games based on like subjects or similar characteristics', while a Mechanic must be specifically present within a player's turn (ie roll a die, draw a card, build a deck of cards). This would mean that while Spatial Analysis is indeed a bona fide category, the mechanic associated with it is not specifically defined. It could be that according to our current BGG definitions the things you do in your head (i.e. mentally manipulate shapes and work out which steps are required to take them from state A to state B, in accordance with the rules of play) are not technically mechanics, but rather categories. This would mean that the only mechanics associated with my two examples would be simultaneous action selection for Crazy Circus and modular board for Ricochet Robots. This seems to track well for my examples, as not much really happens from a mechanical perspective - the action is really going on in the minds of the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the threshold set by Skelebone for new categories/mechanics was 50 games, so you've already got more than enough in this thread to justify it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Brawl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchants of Amsterdam, with the Dutch auction clock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.