Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
2 quick questions:

- to receive the leadership bonus for a castle, must the castle have natural alignment with you [being printed in your color on the map] AND be under your control, or is it enough to have control of the castle [if, for example, you have units in a castle that is printed in the opponent's color]?

- only one stack can use a road segment during each movement phase: ok. But does this rule refer to Road [as opposed to Highway] or road in general, as a long stretch of smoothed terrain made for traveling, and inclusive of both Road and Highway? I am dubious because in some parts of the rulebook, like in the passage about retreats, the word "road" seems to be used loosely to mean both Roads and Highways, while in others it seems to refer to Roads strictly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
marnaudo wrote:
2 quick questions:

- to receive the leadership bonus for a castle, must the castle have natural alignment with you [being printed in your color on the map] AND be under your control, or is it enough to have control of the castle [if, for example, you have units in a castle that is printed in the opponent's color]?

The leadership movement bonus with regards to castles simply requires that the movement BEGINS from a location containing a castle. That's it (but note that a retreat movement is not a MOVEMENT action, and so this would not apply for a retreat from a location containing a castle after losing the battle).

My bad. I actually checked the rules to be sure and they quite clearly indicate the opposite of what I said (the "nearly final" rules):

If a castle is used, it must be aligned (matching color) and controlled by the active player.

marnaudo wrote:

- only one stack can use a road segment during each movement phase: ok. But does this rule refer to Road [as opposed to Highway] or road in general, as a long stretch of smoothed terrain made for traveling, and inclusive of both Road and Highway? I am dubious because in some parts of the rulebook, like in the passage about retreats, the word "road" seems to be used loosely to mean both Roads and Highways, while in others it seems to refer to Roads strictly...

I believe (though stand to be corrected) that this applies to ALL segments of road, whether local roads or highways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Calkins
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Road" means all roads, yes. Highways are included.

The castle must be of matching color to grant a leadership bonus. This bonus represents the local organization, not the castle per se. So instead of Gifu castle itself, you are really relying upon the local Oda clan (an Ishida ally) for leadership.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcalkins wrote:

The castle [and capital] must be of matching color to grant a leadership bonus. This bonus represents the local organization, not the castle per se. So instead of Gifu castle itself, you are really relying upon the local Oda clan (an Ishida ally) for leadership.

I think this is an important point that may slip by initial playings. At least it did for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
mcalkins wrote:

The castle must be of matching color to grant a leadership bonus. This bonus represents the local organization, not the castle per se. So instead of Gifu castle itself, you are really relying upon the local Oda clan (an Ishida ally) for leadership.

Matt,

Thanks for clearing this up. I must admit that I played it wrong during my first game but that'll teach me to READ the rules carefully instead of making assumptions. Your explanation of the why makes it even clearer. This is one of the beauties of your designer notes; when I see the reason for a rule, it sticks in my mind. A beautiful game it's

Pyuredeadbrilliant

Regards,

Jim.....mb

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.