Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick one, don't know if I have missed this somewhere in the rule book but i couldn't find my answer.

If a squad fires a weapon that is attached to it, say a heavy MG,is the squad then allowed to make its own fire attack even though it has already fired its heavy MG. The examples I have seen seem to suggest this but I dont see anything in the rules about it and it seems a little funny that a squad operating a heavy weapon can also make its own attack even though its busy with the weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
11.1: "Whenever a unit is activated [O14.1], any Weapon it is carrying is activated along with it."

O20.3: "Each piece that is activated to Fire may take one shot"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only can the squad fire its own 'weapons' as an independant fire attack but it can also group (with the HMG or other activated squads) and add 1 to the FP of the attack.

You can choose to have it fire on its own, group with the MG or group with other activated squads and MG's, providing of course you meet all of the requirements for Fire Groups.

The rationale behind it being able to fire whilst still using the HMG is that only a couple of the squad might be manning the MG, the rest could fire as normal.
Maybe this should result in a small reduction in the Squads intrinsic FP but I believe Chads' philosophy is to keep things simple where possible and the extra rules to cover this situation would not have been worth the added complexity.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bishuk wrote:

The rationale behind it being able to fire whilst still using the HMG is that only a couple of the squad might be manning the MG, the rest could fire as normal.
Maybe this should result in a small reduction in the Squads intrinsic FP but I believe Chads' philosophy is to keep things simple where possible and the extra rules to cover this situation would not have been worth the added complexity.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for helping me out on this guys (only just started learning the game)

I do understand that only a few guys from the squad would be manning the MG , i also thought that a reduction to the squad because of the fewer men firing in the squad or i also thought maybe the weapons in the game should compliment the squads firepower instead. (ie where the fire power value for the mg is instead of its own FP value, have a +2 or what ever FP value) As i also think this makes itself more appraent when only a weapons team or other unit of a smaller makeup is manning the weapon.

But hey still getting to grips with the game so maybe these things will work very well once i see how the game really works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other benefit to a machine gun is the range. It can fire sometimes even when the squad or team can't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than treating it like some of the squad is manning the HMG I treat it like an additional team has been attached with an HMG. You may notice that some scenarios have an equal amount of Weapon teams as they do heavy weapons and that weapon teams have a poor range so attaching the heavy weapon to the team can make better use of the weapon teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:
Rather than treating it like some of the squad is manning the HMG I treat it like an additional team has been attached with an HMG. You may notice that some scenarios have an equal amount of Weapon teams as they do heavy weapons and that weapon teams have a poor range so attaching the heavy weapon to the team can make better use of the weapon teams.

One of my favorite photographs from World War I is a French HMG team walking down a road. In the first world war, the HMGs required a squad of about 10 men (or more), sometimes along with horses. The barrel and base broke down into pieces which took four men to carry and the other six men paired off into two-man teams and carried a crate of ammunition each. Those boys look EXHAUSTED in the photograph.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Collarin
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
One of my favorite photographs from World War I is a French HMG team walking down a road. In the first world war, the HMGs required a squad of about 10 men (or more), sometimes along with horses. The barrel and base broke down into pieces which took four men to carry and the other six men paired off into two-man teams and carried a crate of ammunition each. Those boys look EXHAUSTED in the photograph.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:

Sounds as bad as the French 75

Of course, the French could have done like the Brits - skip the horses, release the hound!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.