Subject: Got most of the rules but unsure on the bridges rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm sure I'm reading the rules right that, despite what Mr. Schlosser's posts suggest, you can extend your puzzle pieces across the river at points other than the bridges.

What is clear from carefully reading and re-reading the rules (after a couple of plays) is that the bridges, besides being worth points, allow TANKS to cross the river, not puzzle pieces. Puzzle pieces are frequently primarily river tiles, and wouldn't make sense to have to cross at the bridge. Puzzle pieces just have to be connected to a piece on the base line, or to a piece with a paratrooper on it.

The one thing that was unclear to me is whether a player can play a bridge if they don't own both points the bridge plays onto. It is in no way clear in the rules, but if the rules suggest anything, they suggest that you CAN play onto completed bridge points regardless of who owns them. That said, thematically that makes little sense, and since each player has two bridges, it also means there's little advantage to beating your opponent to the bridge points; once you play your bridges, they can simply play onto the other bridge locations and earn the 100 points automatically. Which effectively means that bridges aren't worth any points, because every game every player will play both bridges.

SO I'm going with the theory that you CAN prevent your opponent from playing his bridges, thus making the points meaningful. If this is the case, then the only way one could do that is by taking possession of the spaces with the bridge points. Therefore, you can only play a bridge onto the map if you possess both points.

Anyone out there playing this game? I don't think I can ask Hasbro since this game's been out of print for 40+ years.... What do you think? How do you play it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Perez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I believe that the bridges can only be placed by the player who has placed the puzzle pieces for BOTH crossing points. Since there can be many instances where neither player has placed both, some (all) bridges may go unused.

See the rules here, which make it clear that a player must place both crossing points...

http://www.gamepile.com/gamerules/situation4.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.