Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Kemp
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my copy in the mail today, and when I opened the box I was surprised to see that the Ishida blocks were actually a Metallic Gold, and not the gold colour on the Ishida labels (Pantone 123C or Similar).

Was this an error in communications between GMT and the block supplier?

Having been in the paint/ink industry for many years, metallic paints are considerably more expensive than a yellow with a touch of orange. So I am assuming that there was misunderstanding on the meaning of 'Gold'

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Any thoughts?

My thoughts: they're awesome. They look great, especially in contrast to the black ones.

Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m not an expert, but in my experience metallic colors seem to rub off when on stickers as compared to blocks. I think they look wonderful and gold was the Ishida color if I recall correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stein
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If that's your only complaint, I think you're doing pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
Kirk "The Man" Douglas (Vikings)
mbmbmbmbmb
Bordgamer wrote:

Gentleman I do not believe he is trying to complain, I think it simply a question coming from a tradesman of how it came about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kemp
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bordgamer wrote:

No complaint...I think this game is amazing!! Just an observation.

Being involved in colour, packaging & coatings design for a better part of my career, it's just something I noticed. Many times people asked for gold and got the 'gold' the yellowy orange colour, when they wanted Metallic Gold. This might have been a case of the other way round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Calkins
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The metallic gold was definitely intentional. I thought the look of this game was essential to conveying the spirit of the conflict. I wanted a clean Japanese feel and easy visibility, plus all the historical nuance possible. Gold was the most appropriate color for Ishida (because of Toyotomi's preference for that color). I wanted gold on the blocks and the stickers. I got my way on the blocks. Ironically this was like my original home-made set, in which I painted the blocks gold, but could print stickers only in orange/yellow.

Games are a visual and tactile pleasure. I want to emphasize that, especially in a way that brings the player closer to the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a beautiful game, that's for sure. I did not expect the blocks to be so large. The mounted map is also very nice-- satin finish and muted colors that make the blocks stand out.

I think the only rock I can toss is that the leader banners have a faint outline on the yellow and the banners are invisible on the black. With the circles, you can still tell what they are.

When that's the only thing a person can find, that's pretty good!

(By the way, it's so pretty, I'm already thinking about pimping it up a bit!. The turn record block is supposed to get a black sticker on one side and yellow on the other. But it's a gold block. But it seems about the same size as CCA infantry... what if I took a spare, spray painted it black, glued it to the gold one, and then applied the stickers...?

The only problem is, that means adding another wooden block to a box already jammed full!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kemp
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcalkins wrote:
The metallic gold was definitely intentional.

Thanks for clearing that up Matt...and well done on the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
I think the only rock I can toss is that the leader banners have a faint outline on the yellow and the banners are invisible on the black. With the circles, you can still tell what they are.

Agree with that. Thought it was just my sheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.