Ove Ahlman
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there are now review avalible for this game yet, I took the oportunity to fill out an important hole.
This is a 2-8 player games (or rather 4-8) which takes about 15-45 minutes to play.

How to get this game?
This question shouldn't really have to be asked, but after having searched for it for quite some time here in sweden, both at local gamestores and in websites, I realized that you really have to buy it from the internet. Go to http://www.escapefromthealiensinouterspace.com/store.html to see where there is someone close with shipping. There are retailers all over the world, Japan, Canada, UK etc.

How are the components?
The components of this game isn't really that mutch. You get 8 small pens a couple of sheets of paper with a hexagonal coordinate grid and a few cards. So what you're really paying for are these 60-70 cards which you need to play the game, since the paper sheets can be printed out from the internet.

How do you play this game?
The setup is pretty simple. Each player is secretly assigned a role of either alien or human. The humans objective is to run to the escape hatches and escape, while the aliens should catch them and kill them before they can get that far. Each player gets his own sheet of paper containing the hexagonal grid which describe where players are.

The aliens and the humans start the game at different positions. A turn is taken by moving 1 space as human or 1-2 spaces as alien. You move by writing to which coordinate hex you are moving to at the top of the paper, and hiding this by folding the top paper over the text. If you moved to a white hex your turn is over. If you moved to a grey hex you draw a card. The card you draw can either be empty, red or green. If you draw a red card you have to tell the others your position while green cards you can tell them any position. In any case you put down the card in a discardpile face down. So the other players really don't know where you are. Are you lying or are you really there. When you draw empty cards you say nothing.
The aliens can at the end of their turn attack the square they moved to. They then declare where they attack and all other players in that square (human or alien) are killed.

This is the Basic game, you can do the advanced game by playing with item cards, feeding aliens and escape hatches which doesn't open. But I've not tried that yet.

How does the game feel?
The game starts off very intense. The aliens swarm forward to where the humans spawn, while the humans try to be sneaky and go to all places at once. Its not just thinking about where you are going thats important, but also, where your "fake person" is going. There is very mutch deduction going on, not just on what you say to the other players when you draw the red or green cards but also when you say nothing. Since then you are on a white hex so they can deduce somewhat where you are by just looking on them.
Its really scary when someone is sneaking up on you and you know they are close, but not how close they are.

What do I think?
I think this is a good game, its an easy game to get started since there aren't that many rules and plays pretty fast. But its quite different playing as a human than as an alien. As human you run for your life and can get a real kick when you're standing 5 spaces away from the exit, step on a red plank, and hear how all the alien players scream "there he is". While as an alien its only about focusing on a human and try to focus down on his thinking and deduce where he can be which atleast I dont think is very thrilling, but still fun.
The game also plays very different with different players. If you play with inexperienced humans who die really fast and you're the last human against 3 aliens, its not that mutch fun. But if the aliens has to think and all humans are playing sneaky then it can be a blast for everyone.
A bad thing about this game is that if a player gets eliminated early he can just sit and watch while the others continue play, which isn't optimal. Also playing 2-3 players can be fun on some maps, but in general is just weird.

I gave this game a 7. Its a good game, and its really fun when playing with evenly matched players on the human and alien side. But sometimes it feels very random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Watts
United Kingdom
Southwell
Notts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The player elimination can be averted by using the infection variant rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aureliano Buonfino
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your review Ove!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.