United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
When it comes to my reading I tell people I enjoy three types of books. History, techno thrillers and books about boy wizards (Yes I loved the Harry Potter books). In terms of techno thrillers my favorite authors are Clive Cussler (I own a complete first edition collection of his books), Larry Bond and Stephen Coonts. Recently however I discovered a new genre that to my surprised I've greatly enjoyed...I think. The problem is I've only read two books in it but I've really enjoyed them.

It started by accident. Late last year I accidentally caught on TV the movie Day of the Jackal. I loved it so I went out, got a copy of the book by Frederick Forsyth and enjoyed it immensely. Recently I picked up The Fourth Protocol also by Frederick Forsyth and enjoyed that as well.

So here I sit with my new Kindle on the way and I was thinking of delving more into the classic spy thriller genre. By classic I mean cold war era, Check Point Charlie and all that kind of stuff. Basically the 60s, 70s and 80s. They aren't expensive and I figure they would give me a nice break in between books on the civil war. But who to read? Thus I come to you my fellow geeks who enjoy this fiction genre. Which of these spy thriller authors is your favorite? Forgive me if I've missed any obvious authors. Again I'm very new to this genre.

Poll
Which classic spy thriller author is your favorite?
Frederick Forsyth
Len Deighton
Ian Fleming
John le Carré
Robert Ludlum
Alistair MacLean
Other
      20 answers
Poll created by mrbeankc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure to read The Odessa File soon...another Forstyth classic. Some modern spy thriller authors that I enjoy include Vince Flynn and Brad Thor. For really over the top (think Ian Fleming) stuff, read Ted Bell's Hawke series.

EDIT: I see that you read Larry Bond and Stephen Coonts but did not include Tom Clancy, Dale Brown, or Harold Coyle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished The Odessa File last week. An excellent book. Also look at books by Allan Furst and Daniel Silva. WWII era - top notch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind me mentioning a few more - some of whom may be difficult, or even impossible, to buy new. Not all of the books are cold war thrillers, but most are in the 40s-70s period.

Helen MacInnes has some good spy novels as does Eric Ambler.

If you want a bit of humour mixed in with you spy thriller stuff then John Gardner's Boysie Oakes series is good. Gardner has also written a number of official James Bond novels.

Gavin Lyall has a number of spy books (his later books) starting with The Secret Servant.

If you want to go a bit earlier than John Buchan is your man - The Thirty Nine Steps and all that.

But le Carre is my favourite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Which version of Day of the Jackal was it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
EDIT: I see that you read Larry Bond and Stephen Coonts but did not include Tom Clancy, Dale Brown, or Harold Coyle.

Tom Clancy is ok but the truth is his best books were ones he collaborated with Larry Bond on i.e. Hunt for Red October and Red Storm Rising. Never cared much for Harold Coyle or Dale Brown even though Dale was an acquaintance of mine back in California before I moved here.

In answer to what version I assume you're talking about the film in which case it was the one starring Edward Fox.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Ambler?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Ambler
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Don Pendleton, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep thinking that Red Storm Rising would make an EXCELLENT miniseries every time I see the book. It is one of my favorite books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Don Pendleton, of course.

At one point back in the mid 90s when I was stationed in Europe I had almost every Executioner/Mack Bolan/Ston Man Farm/Able Team/Phoenix Force book ever made. I was only missing about 5 out of the hundreds of books. When I was getting my household goods packed up to move inEngland, one of the movers made a comment about how much he liked them and what an awesome collection I had. I got the "I've got a bad feeling about this" feeling but there wasnt much I could do about it. I couldn't take all the books on the plane with me. Sure enough, I get to my next base, get my household goods and start unpacking them and yep! They were gone! angry Everything else was there though and packed VERY well. I was SOOOO upset for a long time over that and I didn't even attempt to replace them. TRhey gave me SOME money for them in the settlement but it was nowhere near what it would be worth to replace them. I am still mad about that whole mess....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.