Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc G

Phoenix
Arizona
msg tools
mb
Hi all,
Maybe this is already posted but I couldn't find it -- I'd like to find a way to use CR with a live DM to play against/with...to create a kind of a Hero Quest feel. Have any of you done this? Do you still play with a randomized map or create a fixed map? Do you use bits from a game like HQ along with all the CR bits? (I don't own HQ). Or have I just finally drifted in the the "real" D&D world ?

I like that me and my family can play against the game, but sometimes I think it would be fun for me to run a dungeon. My wife was a D&D gamer long ago

thanks for your thoughts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Marc,

I haven't played Hero Quest since I got Ravenloft and Ashardalon. It's still a great game, though. Especially loved Karak Van with all the dwarven flavour, the Ogre Hordes and particularly the expansion with Morcar's Mages... Good times.

As for running CR or WoA with a DM, I haven't tried it. What I can tell you is that the next game in the series (The Legend of Drizzt) will have competitive scenarios that put players against each other (or teams). Not exactly the same, but the closest out-of-the-box.

Otherwise, I bought another D&D Board Game some years ago. It had a traditional DM, and there were two expansions packs, also. I never came to enjoy it as much as I hoped, though, but here's the link:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6366/dungeons-dragons-the...

Cheers,
Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the top of my head, you could try these:

- Ignore the monster tactics, once a monster spawns, roll initiative and move - attack heroes as a DM, using the attack and damage values on each monster card. The only real difference here is the DM gets to choose which hero atttack and where to move.

- Maybe, instead of using the white/black triangles to decide if you draw an encounter, you could roll a % dice, or the d20, assigning outcomes to each value.

- DM designs the layout of the dungeon, and you place the dungeon tiles according to your previous design.

- DM does dialogues for the villains, and NPC's, and environment descriptions for each tile; hehe.

Dunno, maybe some other tweaks like these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think the best DM variant for this game is to play Claustrophobia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep the tiles shuffled and random so it will be like a game for you as well. As long as you follow the 'at x tile heros encounter villian or quest objective then must escape' adventure guideline.

I had thought about letting the DM draw either an encounter or a monster each time the heroes explored a new tile, except black arrow tiles, they get to draw one of each. The DM can keep the cards and play the encounters anytime, but can only play the creatures on his turn. The creatures activate (attack move whatever) on the DMs turn except villians which attack every turn.

If the DM went as far as designing an adventure, then I guess they could shuffle the tiles used in a stack of ordinary tiles (nameless ones) and read their plot out when certain tiles are played. Might be tricky to design an adventure and follow random tile draws but it could work. I'd stick with the 'heroes encounter villian at x tile' method until you work out the kinks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc G

Phoenix
Arizona
msg tools
mb
I like the ideas here and thanks for the discussion. I'm still mulling all this over, but I guess part of me is now leaning towards just having another game...one that has a DM and one (CR) that doesn't. I like the idea of Descent too, but it's just too long for me and the fam. Claustrophobia theme is not quite up our alley. I've been reading Hero Quest and Dragon Quest rules. Maybe something like that and I could easily borrow parts back and forth between the two - I dunno

me, the wife and the kids (14 & 10) like the CR thing, so I know I'm in the right "area" of this theme

I will have to give my wife something nice if I get yet another old game off of ebay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc G

Phoenix
Arizona
msg tools
mb
Interesting...I just read the rules for Drizzt. I like the idea of a pre-constructed cavern and other "stuff." I may have to get it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
mb
Take a look at this variant that may provide what you're looking for...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/677664/descent-in-to-rav...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.