9 Posts

A Few Acres of Snow» Forums » Rules

Subject: Victory Points 'Double-Whammy' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Norell
msg tools
mb
After raising this question as a reply to a post somewhere in the AFoS forum, I was tempted to revisit the question of victory points for cubes and discs.

Having established that the loser of a siege loses his full VPs (that's -8VP if he had a disc on Louisbourg), the victor also gains 4VP for the captured disc and a further 4VP if he settles the location with a cube.

My question is (and it is simply that, not a criticism), does there need to be such a large VP shift following a siege? If the victor gains points for captured cubes and discs, should the loser also forfeit control points.

I suppose my real point is that the result of a game can be put beyond doubt with one successful siege. I imagine this is what the designer intended, but would like to know if my assumptions about VPs are correct.

Thank you for any clarification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Your Assumptions ARE correct!

This is the reason, that you shouldn't give up a siege lightly - and pay attention, if you opponent buys military!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a third effect too, you capture the cube or disc as well.

You ask if the loser should lose control points. I don't see any other possibility, he's lost control.

Sieges are big things in the game. It's not surprising that I gain more points for taking something off you than just settling somewhere uncontested. The extra points I note above suggest to me this was deliberate design (as you would expect).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Louisburg is not easy to take as the British unless the French player is asleep, the great reward reflects the great effort and resources required to take it in the first place, I'd say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Norell
msg tools
mb
Thank you for your prompt replies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes me wonder if the French shouldn't leave developing Louisburg/Port Royal until later in the game, i.e. if the French player is playing for a settling/developing strategy, head along the lakes first and leave developing Nova Scotia until later in the game to minimise the points swing of a successful British siege
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the thing about AFAoS that I initially missed and that I appreciate more and more with each play is that it is a war game. While expansion and development are parts of the game, playing this as anything other than a war game misses the point and, if the other player is playing it as a war game, will likely result in you losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but if both players play it only as a war game, it turns into a slow-moving slog. Fortunately, that stalemate can be broken by one player moving toward a settling or raiding strategy. So you can't ignore those strategies either. The game really is a floor wax and a dessert topping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Yes, but if both players play it only as a war game, it turns into a slow-moving slog. Fortunately, that stalemate can be broken by one player moving toward a settling or raiding strategy.

My last game (as British) it went "siege against me, put in military card, siege now at least neutral, second action, need to spend cards, settlement/development does that nicely - and gets me VPs and heads for game end". Of course that wasn't every turn, but I could continue to hold the siege (all I needed at that point) while making progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.