Magic: The Gathering» Forums » General

Subject: Is Innistrad the new Homelands? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit tongue in cheek here.

To me Innistrad seems very thematic and fun but I can't really see many power cards in it?

Is it all flavour and no power or how do you see it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We know less that half the cards in the set...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
We know less that half the cards in the set...

Sure, but we must have seen most of the rares and mythic rares by now. Or are they keeping the best until last?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hackman
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few over the top cards like Makeus (spelling is way off, I know) who costs XW and comes into play with X +1/+1 counters. Then, each turn you either tap to give him another counter or remove a counter from him to put a +1/+1 on every other creature you control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thing is, EVERY set people mope about the set if they don't see anything that obviously fits into today's meta or doesn't have obvious answers to what problems lie in wait now.

When Lorwyn was spoiled "What a crappy set, and these Planeswalker things are horrible and will never see play"
When Shards was spoiled "OMG... nothing in this set will beat Faeries... too many overcosted junk cards"
When ZEN was spoiled "Nothing in this set will be played in Standard... nothing here will beat Jund"
When Scars was spoiled "What? no Affinity? Geez... ZEN/Scars T2 will be the most underpowered ever."
When Innistrad is spoiled "Oh that card will be in the new Caw-Blade decks... otherwise the set stinks."

So, in brief... it's always hard to properly judge cards at this point in the game. Look at Scars black decks and think about what M12 and ISD gives us. I think we'll have some really interesting new deck concepts and people just aren't seeing the entire interaction of this set without commons and uncommons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is also very important to consider what lens people view the set through. I only play Vintage and Legacy, so most sets only have, AT BEST, 2-3 cards for me anyway. From that perspective, It could be a very good set if it has a few (I personally haven't looked through the spoilers, so can't speak to the Eternal-ness of it).

As for Standard, as stated it completely revolves around the metagame. Even if it isn't great for current decks, at some point it will be one of two base sets of a block, so at worst it will be a huge contributor to the card pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Coney
Croatia
Zaprešić
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I understand that they've had a problem with overpowered sets in the last few years. Fairies were unbeatable, so they had to come up with Cascade as a challange. The only way to solve "power creep" is to ramp down with a slightly less powerful set.

Power levels are relative and as sets cycle out this block will come to the center.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I see cards in Innistrad for pretty much every format. I also think Humans are going to be a scary deck type in Modern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree Trent. I also think that part of the issue is that werewolves was such a hype piece, yet it's painfully obvious that it was a "limited" archtype. Sort of like Myrs were in Scars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People took this thread way to seriously. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Er... not really. You asked a question. We answered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuri Walkiw
Canada
Sturgeon County
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We won't fully know the answers until two years from now. There will probably be cards printed in the next few expansions and core sets that will make Innistrad more appealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:

Yes, but you totally missed the tongue in cheek part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomfarer wrote:
stagger lee wrote:

Yes, but you totally missed the tongue in cheek part.

Ah, gotcha. Well on BGG we don't exactly have the warmest reception to MTG on these forums...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Raffuse
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my earnest answer to your tongue-in-cheek post.

While I know they are dialing back the power level a bit, starting with scars block, it also seems like they are being pretty careful not to preview all of the most powerful cards at the beginning. In fact, as the spoiler has grown, the cards seem to be getting more powerful with each day's batch. That's my impression at least.

Also, as a semi-proud owner of a fair number of Homelands cards, I can say the Innistrad stuff looks way more fun and thematic to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have to say, a week later... my interest in this set doubled. I LOVE that freaking enchantment spoiled today, and the spoilers coming out on MTGsalvation are good utility cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.