Lock 'n Load: Heroes of the Gap» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ste.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, everyone...this is a hard challenge for the boldest and bravest LnL player!!!

Let's see which of You, LnL-enthusiast, will be able to reply all my questions!!!

If You can, i would like to know if (and where) there are already rules answering my questions (i did not find them ...for this reason, now i fire this "410mm calibre" questions!!! whistle )

Fixed-Wing Air Support 19.11

1) Rule states:
"...the air support enters on the NEXT impulse after either player rolls doubles for any game related function"
How many times can Air Support enters during a game-scenario? only one time or any time doubles is rolled?
(i suppose only one time but i'd like to be sure)

2) Rule states:
"...elegible enemy anti-aircraft units can fire on the plane"
a) Is it an Opportunity fire? (i do not think, but i'd like to be sure)
b) Can Air Support counter be stopped any time along its flight-path and be fired by any enemy AA unit/SW?...i.e. can, for example, A-10 be stopped in one hex and be fired on by Zsu23/4 and Sa7 both?
c) Are firing units marked with "FIRED" marker? (and in the case of SW - sa7 - is infantry owner unit marked too?)

3) all the "AA fire vs. Air Support" procedure is not clear for me :
a) When fired by AA units, does Airplane receive any target modifier in OFT table as Helicopters do (+1 Heli in Hovering, +2 Heli in flight)? (i think Airplane should receive, at least, a "+2" for being in flight mode )
b) Have to be considered hindering terrain modifiers bewtween AA firing unit and Airplane?

4) Rule states:
"If the air support is shaken..." ...unfortunally there is no written Damage check procedure for Air Support cry...
so, have i to assume that Air Support Damage check procedure is the same of armored-vehicle one or what else?
i.e.: When Air Supp. is destroyed or shaken or survives an AA attack?

Fixed-Wing Air Support Cannon and Boms Attack 19.11.1

5)Rule states:
"air support unit attacks the hex it currently occupies"
At what distance can Air Supp. engages target in its flight-path?..i.e. What is the Airplane cannon/bomb range? ...reading the just quoted rule, it should be "0"... correct?

6)
a) How many times can Air Support unit perform its cannon/bombs attacks along its flight-path? i.e. Can A-10 attack 4 adjacent hexes then continues to move along its flight-path and perform another cannon attack against new 4 adjacent target hexes (the same question is for Bombs attack)?
b) in the example of A-10, is there only one cannon attack die roll for all the 4 target hexes or 4 die rolls have to be done (i.e. one differente attack die roll for each of the 4 target hexes)?

7)Must Air cannon and bombs attack be performed at the same time and against the same occupied target hex (starting Hex in the case of Cannon attack)?
e.g. A-10 occupies O16 Hex and performs a Cannon attack against O16, O17,O18,O19 target hexes, then can A-10 move
a) into O18 and perform Bombs attack against targets in O18 hex itself?
b) or into O21 and perform Bombs attack against targets in O21 hex itself?

8)Can Air cannon fire against Helicopters?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Acquisition markers
9)Rule states:
"Remove the acquisition marker if the target moves or the attacker switches targets"
Is Acq. marker removed if firing unit moves?...i.e. if in the next turn (or the same turn if using MVAM - Modern Vehicle Assault Movement) the firing unit uses AM (moves and fires against the same target - does NOT switch target), does firing unit gain "-1" Aquisition Modifier yet?...or is Acq. Marker removed as soon as firing unit moves? (i am quite sure that Marker should be removed! cool )

10)
a)Zsu23/4 unit has "3x" rate for its barrels gun attacks...does it mean that Zsu23/4 can perform 3 successive attacks against Air Support/Helicopters?
b)and if Yes, is "-1" Acquisition maker placed on Air Support/Helicopters target after the Zsu23/4 first attack and the "-2" one after the second attack?

ATGM 13.94.3
11)Rule states:
"Vehicle and Helicopter-launched ATGMs Cannot target SMCs or MMCs..."
a)Can WT-launched ATGMs (M47 or AT3) target SMCs or MMCs using their HE equivalent?
b)considering just quoted rule and that HE equivalent value can be only used to attack no-vehicle units, what is HE printed equivalent value on vehicles such BRDM or M901 for? (i.e. vehicle armed with only ATGM)
c) does it mean ATGM HE equivalent can only be used against WT or Helicopter(assuming Helicopters are not considered Vehicles)?

12)Rule states:
"No unit, whether vehicle or MMC, can Assault Move and fire ATGM or be elegible to Opportunity Fire and ATGM after having AssaultMove"
a)Is it true for Helicopters too?
b)Are Helicopters considered Vehicles?

Rally Phase 3.0
Squads and Half Squad.
13) Rule states:
"Any two Good Order Half-squads (not Crews) of the same nationality and type may join to form a Full-squad..."
In many case same HSs are generated by different values Full-squads (e.g. USA infantry units in HoG), or can be there same nationality and type HSs but with different combat values generated, always, by different values Full-Squads....so, which Full-Squad is formed by two such HSs?
e.g. in a BoH scenario where both of the two Waffen SS Full-Squad units are present (the "2-6-4" and "1-6-4" ones), which of them two "1-5-4" Half-Squads can form?

Thank a lot for having accepted this answering "chellenge"!

Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pultorak
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: A lot of questions!!!!
Although Mark and SJ have final say, I'll take a crack at these.

1) Once unless the number before the "x" on the scenario card says something otherwise (such as the "2" x Smoke Artillery in "Second Echelon" scenario)

2) Yes it is Op Fire as the air support is moving. It can be fired on ONCE per movement point expended in a hex. Since air support cannot hover (which expends a second movement point), it can only be fired upon once per hex so the SA7 would have to fire during another hex entered. Yes, mark as fired.

3) I can't find anything confirming the moving aircraft but I would think the +2 at least would apply (similar to helicopters) unless it is built into the AA factors on back of all such ordnance firing units?

Similar to ground units firing at helicopters the air support would receive all OFT modifiers EXCEPT the modifier for the hex it occupies (as the plane is actually above it).

4) I assume 'destroyed' means when the firing unit's penetration is greater than the aircraft's armor. Damaged/shaken is when they are 'equal' and similar to helicopters, the mission is aborted. I don't think air support endures the damage check as the only weapon that can attack it is "blue" backed ordnance units (OFT).

5) The aircraft's range appears to be the hex directly below it (range 0) according to 19.11.1. So an A10 can attack four consecutive hexes it its straight line travel. It can bomb one hex anywhere on its path.

6) No, it can attack just one time but 4 separate hex attack rolls (in A10s example).

7) It can drop its bomb in any of the 4 (cannon) hexes or any other hex on its straight route across the board.

8) I sure think it can attack helicopters but the modifier might be more than the +1 or +2 for hovering or flying helicopters.
. ??

9) I am not sure that the moving of the firing unit would cause removal of the Acquisition Marker. ??

10) I would think the ZSU could fire at an air support 3 times through three consecutive hexes moved. At a helicopter it could fire twice in one hex if the chopper was changing modes (hovering to flying or vice-versa). Note that the chopper is marked with an Ops Complete marker when changing so always fire before changing or unloading.

11) This was a big discussion. I have allowed firing the ATGMs at anything but am learning this is a huge risk as I almost always run out of ATGM ammo. The rule probably should have been just a strong suggestion?

12) I would say 'no' as helicopters have unlimited movement and can fire anywhere along their movement or hovering.

13) I would guess that two different-type half squads (or values) could NOT be combined as 3.0 says "of the same nationality and type"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank You Steve , waiting for Mark reply i'll deal with the following questions

Steve Pultorak wrote:

4) I assume 'destroyed' means when the firing unit's penetration is greater than the aircraft's armor. Damaged/shaken is when they are 'equal' and similar to helicopters, the mission is aborted. I don't think air support endures the damage check as the only weapon that can attack it is "blue" backed ordnance units (OFT).

Ok...so there is no "Air Support" Moral Check with the difference between Die Roll Attack and Die Roll Defense, when the former is less then the latter?

Steve Pultorak wrote:

9) I am not sure that the moving of the firing unit would cause removal of the Acquisition Marker. ??

Acquisition Marker is an abstraction of aiming adjustment process: keeping inalterate distances gunner can estimate how to correct his next shot.
For this reason, if target moves away (and distance is so changed) Acq. Marker is removed. (...and this rule is quite punitive for firing unit as, BTW, gunner is able to "follow" his target )
So, and even more, marker should be removed from target when the firing unit itself moves and changes distance

Steve Pultorak wrote:

10) I would think the ZSU could fire at an air support 3 times through three consecutive hexes moved. At a helicopter it could fire twice in one hex if the chopper was changing modes (hovering to flying or vice-versa). Note that the chopper is marked with an Ops Complete marker when changing so always fire before changing or unloading.

It sounds good for me

Steve Pultorak wrote:

13) I would guess that two different-type half squads (or values) could NOT be combined as 3.0 says "of the same nationality and type"

Yes..but "same nationality and type" refers to Unit type: e.g. German Waffen SS and Whermacht are same Nationality but different types ...

in the examples i wrote i dealt with same "Nationality and type" HSs units.

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pultorak
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Stefano:

Apparently NOT according to the last sentence in 19.5.1 Ordnance vs Helicopters.

I am ignoring 19.5.2 Small Arms vs Helicopters where you DO but I don't think small arms effects air support but that leads to WHY then is there a Morale value for air support?

Keep in mind I'm just guessing too so I could certainly be wrong about this or anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure I see anything that isn't covered by a reading of the rules. SJ, did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Mark Holt Walker wrote:
Not sure I see anything that isn't covered by a reading of the rules. SJ, did I miss something?

I think the OP has questions thats all.
He is looking for a more complete answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
note - i posted what i think th answer is so someone should check...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.