Subject: this or conquest? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i want to buy a game from Frog , i already have evil and something wicked and i like them very much as solo games,
and now i cant choose , fortune or conquest of planet earth??
what game is better as solo??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dolan
United States
Rockford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Personally, I prefer Fortune and Glory. It's a more varied, interesting experience over repeated plays, mainly due to the sort of 'storytelling' feel that it creates from the random generation of elements across the map, cliffhangers, events, etc.

Conquest of Planet Earth is a really fun game, but it definitely has more of a 'mechanical' feel, and repeated play sessions (while entertaining) have a certain amount of "sameness" to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey O'Brien
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
...easy ...easy ...eeesay...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I reviewed Conquest here on BGG, which, in a nutshell, I very much enjoyed. I've just completed my first solo game of FANG and found it quite a different experience. In short, Conquest is much simpler (there's just less going on - it's not about complexity or depth as such), and the random mayhem works well with the theme. FANG is a beauty, and I can see myself enjoying it eventually, but it was fiddly enough to work through out of the box and with so many things happening, it was less easy to just laugh and move on when things went horribly wrong (as they did). I find Conquest quite a fun and relaxing solo play. As I said, FANG may get quicker and easier, but I found it a bit more demanding (without being any deeper at heart). So, to me, based on those limited conditions, I'd say it very much depends on whether you want to play something quick and silly (in a good way) or slightly longer and slightly less silly (but still fun).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the answers i think i ll go for Fortune...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
BOTH!!!
If you pick up Fortune and Glory first, that's terrific, it's a great game, but don't miss out on Conquest of Planet Earth! Quick to learn, fast paced game play, fast set up, awesome Alien invaders goo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hob69 wrote:
...and I can see myself enjoying it eventually, but it was fiddly enough to work through out of the box and with so many things happening, it was less easy to just laugh and move on when things went horribly wrong (as they did).
I feel the same way. I can see, or at least eventually hope, that this game will be enjoyable. Right now, it's more frustrating than fun.

My biggest gripe are the dangers which, unfortunately, is the main part of the game. In the beginning, unless you get lucky enough to draw The danger cards that correspond to your favored skill, you'll be failing....a lot. What does that mean? A majority of your game is going to "roll, fail, wait, repeat".

And that brings me to another issue, summarized by a conversation me and my friend had.

Friend: How the hell am I supposed to beat these dangers? I don't have enough dice.
Me: Well, why don't you get items to boost your skills.
Friend: And how do I get glory to buy the items?
Me: You have to beat the dang.....oh.

Not to mention, unless you only need to boost combat, it's a crapshoot. You can finally get enough glory to buy Gear....only to get an item you don't need.

With a competitive play, co-op play, and solo play under my belt...I can wholeheartedly recommend Conquest over Fortune. Not only does it cost less, it's just overall more fun. Both involve a lot of randomness, but Conquest seems to manage/mitigate the chaos a lot better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy 'Peachy' Devery
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When it comes to Fortune and Glory and the Dangers, remember that you only need to roll one success on your dice to be able to roll all of them again, adding up your successes. A character with a crappy skill rating can still come out on top in any scenario!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.