Popular Tags: [View All]
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a rules question, but a general comment.

I read through the rules the other day in preparation for a game in the next day or so, and I was extremely pleased with just how well written and presented they were.

These days I think we've (well maybe it's just me) have got used to poorly written, ambigous and vague rules, which have you flitting backwards and forwards and missing tiny footer text which is actually important.

Whilst I've not yet played the game, I really feel like I thoroughly understand it thanks to the rules.

Well done designers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comment. I have been somewhat intimidated by the length of the rules. I'll give it a shot today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree, they are the best rules of any game I have ever read in my opinion. I wish companies like FFG would learn from them. They would make the rules 50 pages long with several pages of errata.

The player aids are great too, it is almost impossible to play incorrectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
(echoing monster truck arena voice)

Welcome to the Jensen revolution!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. This is how all rulebooks should be written. No doubt about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For someone who has played and read rules for hundreds of games, I don't think there is anyone better in the industry than Chad Jensen when it comes to writing a rule book. It is icing on the cake that his games play equally as well as his rule books read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In general I love GMT because their rulebooks are the best written, Dominant Species (being a bit easier than other GMT games) has one of the best rulebooks around. I read it once and understood how the game works perfectly.

I believe that FFG intentionally writes horrible rulebooks, for what sinister purpose I do not know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kelsey
United States
Unspecified
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also appreciate how each of the animals advantages are integrated into each specific players aid card. Very helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
MintMMs wrote:
I also appreciate how each of the animals advantages are integrated into each specific players aid card. Very helpful!

And on the board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Nyberg
Sweden
Luleå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I felt the same way with Chads other game Combat Commander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I had heard some daunting things about the complexity of this game, so I put off reading the rules for many months.

However after reading the rules, I understood everything perfectly, which almost never happens with me, I usually have to skim through rules a second time and reference them multiple times during play. Not the case with these. Well done Chad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the kind words, folks.

Game on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fricke
United States
Covington
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I'm definitely going to be picking this one up soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Adams
United States
Crabtree
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the reasons I bought the game before I had tried it was being able to understand the game just by reading the rules online without having the game in front of me as opposed to trying to read the rules to Merkator online and being thoroughly confused. I feel when I receive the game I will be able to explain it with no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish me luck people. I am going to try and teach my wife how to play this game without scaring her. Generally, she gets turned off by long, drawn out game rule explanations. I happen to be an excellent game teacher and I believe I can explain this game to her in a quick, logical fashion... thanks in whole to the very topic of this discussion. The rule book is perfect. I had to read it 3 or 4 times to make sure I remembered every little detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen this game alot, and the cover turned me off bigtime. to the point i new nothing about the game.

I saw urban sprawl, read the rules, watched lances video, and thought it was fantasic. Urban Sprawl also has a fantasic rulebook.

anyways, being that the above game looks so awesome and the rulebook was fantastic, i finally got around to reading the Dominant Species and i'm now super excited about the game and it's rulebook is also amazing.

good work on these games and their associated rulebooks which are top class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.