Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
Three friends, my wife and I played our first game of AH on Friday night.

Four of us are long time Call of Cthulhu and Delta Green players, so we were looking forward to the game.

The game delivered. Clearly, the design emphasis wisely focussed on approximating the RPG experience, rather than the source text of Lovecraft's fiction.

Our investigators were Michael McGlen, Vincent Lee, Monterey Jack, Daniel Drake and Ashcan Pete. Our adversary was Nyarlathotep.

The first two or three turns were fairly challenging, as locations were causing gates to open, in addition to the Mythos phase. In turn 4 we desperately needed to close a gate to avoid Nyarlathotep awakening as a 6th gate would soon open, but out investigators had only just made it through some gates and were several turns from closing or sealing a gate. It seemed out fiorat game was to end in early and deflating failure. However, Vincent Lee, who was collecting clues in Misk Univ, stumbled across a student messing around with a gate closing device. Several excellent rolls of the dice later by Vincent's player and all but one of the gates were closed.

The game then settled down, as the we sealed gates, battled monsters and made repeated trips to the asylum and hospital. The importance of allies and blessings soon became clear, as did the importance of trophies.

The cooperative nature of the game worked very well, and resulted in additional engagement, as every player has a stake in the success or failure of the other players. I felt that downtime, depsite having 5 players, simply wasn't an issue. Successes were collectively celebrated, failres collectively mourned. We did over-cooperate illegally a little, though, as we traded clues and monster trophies, whioch probably made the difference between us winning and losing. A slightly tainted victory then, but, hey, we had fun.

Solid performances by Ashcan Pete and Monterey Jack in particular, who sealed almost all of the six gates we sealed to win the game. Michael McGlen was an assk-kicking machine and took out one of Nyarlathotep's avatars - the Bloody Tongue. Fortunately that was the only avatar to appear, I played Daniel Drake, who failed to do anything of consequence.

We all enjoyed the game - I'm doubly pleased as I had somewhat prematurely purchased most of the expansions. It's nice to know that the investment will likely pay off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl_S Gamer
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
That investment will indeed pay off. My friends and I have been playing it for a long time and it just never seems to get tired! Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
randall fischer

Warren
Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sharing clue tokens and trophies makes the game incredibly easy. I can see why a first time group would do this to get their feet under them, and as long as you had fun, thats all that counts, but if you keep on allowing those items to be traded, the game will come off as too easy once you get some experience. I'd try playing it without doing this once your group feels they have a solid grasp of the investigators and gameplay.

One of the great things about Arkham, at least to our group (over 300 plays) is that no matter how good you are at the game, that box of cardboard is going to come out swinging sometimes and just wreck your investigators. Saturday we played against Abhoth and had the Black Goat as a herald. We had 5-6 monsters on gates at one time and it was a tough, tough fight, that at the end had us getting devoured in the final fight with 2 doom tokens left on the bad guy. We lost, but it was a hell of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaplainCassius wrote:
Sharing clue tokens and trophies makes the game incredibly easy. I can see why a first time group would do this to get their feet under them, and as long as you had fun, thats all that counts, but if you keep on allowing those items to be traded, the game will come off as too easy once you get some experience. I'd try playing it without doing this once your group feels they have a solid grasp of the investigators and gameplay.

Absolutely - to be clear, the sharing of clues and trophies was due to beginner-rules-error-syndrome, as opposed to a desire to illegally assist.We certainly won't be repeating the error
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Eoin Corrigan wrote:
ChaplainCassius wrote:

Absolutely - to be clear, the sharing of clues and trophies was due to beginner-rules-error-syndrome, as opposed to a desire to illegally assist.We certainly won't be repeating the error :)

Dexter Drake is one of the absolutely worse investigators in the entire stable of investigators, so I can only imagine how horrible his completely inexperienced brother Daniel would be. :-)

Very nice report.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.