Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lukas Wernig
Austria
Villach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello my dear friends!

I am eager to buy either Hannibal or 1960: The Making of the President and I wanted to hear your thoughts about those two games.
I'd rather buy Twilight Struggle but I guess there are no copies left.
But is it true that it is being reprinted? Because if it is I'll get this one, or maybe two of these game
Anyway, are the games mentioned complex games or are they easy to teach to non-gamers?
Is it necessary for the players to know about the American election system?

Furthermore I would like to buy a backstabbing game with hidden roles, but not Werewolfs.
From what I read Battlestar Galactica would not be a game for our group because it is supposed to be really hard for the humans to win and thats a no - go for the people I play with.
So I am looking for a game thats similar to the upcoming Panic Station.

I appreciate all you input!

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
We carry a new world here, in our hearts.
mbmbmbmbmb
flea4 wrote:

Anyway, are the games mentioned complex games or are they easy to teach to non-gamers?

Most of my games of Twilight Struggle have been against non-gamers or people that I taught the game to. As 1960 is a simpler version of it I don't think you should have too much trouble. The core mechanics are simple, but the strategy and knowing what cards and events to expect is what takes practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't really compare Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage and 1960: The Making of the President. In the latter you don't need to know anything outside the game... but it's more fun if you do.

Twilight Struggle will almost certainly be reprinted, as it is proving to be a cash cow. It's harder to teach than the above.

The Resistance is a simple hidden roles game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Vaccari
Italy
Nonantola (Mo)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I think that 1960 is more easy to play, and you don't have to know anything about Presidential Elections in the USA.

I played it a lot of times with my wife, and it's always funny. And the artwork is great!

Buy the way, I prefer Twilight Struggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
you could basicly say (and this is removeing a lot from it) that 1960 is an eased up version of Twilight Struggle. This really not true but you can say it like that.

Basicly as many before I like 1960 but I much rather play Twilight Struggle. It is certanly no loss to own both games (; (I.e get 1960 now and then buy Twiligt Struggle when it is reprinted)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
flea4 wrote:
I'd rather buy Twilight Struggle but I guess there are no copies left.
But is it true that it is being reprinted?

According to http://www.gmtgames.com/news.aspx?showarticle=205 on GMT's site, the TS reprint will be available mid-October.

Quote:
Furthermore I would like to buy a backstabbing game with hidden roles, but not Werewolfs.
From what I read Battlestar Galactica would not be a game for our group because it is supposed to be really hard for the humans to win and thats a no - go for the people I play with.
So I am looking for a game thats similar to the upcoming Panic Station.

You didn't say what you didn't like about Werewolf. As mentioned above, The Resistance offers backstabbing / hidden roles, but it does have some similarities to Werewolf. Another choice might be The Castle of the Devil. From my brief reading about Panic Station, neither of these are similar to it, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Wernig
Austria
Villach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you fo the info!

I also think about getting last night on earth. Is it playable with non-gamers? Or is there another good zombie game somewhere out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
It is very easy for the Humans to win in Battlestar Galactica until you add expansions. I never saw the Cylons win until we added the 2nd expansion. If that's what's keeping you away, you should probably check it out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game is quite playable with non-gamers and remains my favourite zombie game. It is more complicate but a great deal more rewarding than Zombies!!!.

Obviously though non-gamers have to be willing to play.

Have a look at the rules:
http://www.flyingfrog.net/lastnightonearth/rules.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My preference is 1960 over Hannibal. That being said they are very different games. I also prefer 1960 over Twilight Struggle. (Although I own both and enjoy both!) And I think it was already posted that GMT is reprinting Twilight in October. (You might want to try Labrynth as well...quite a good two player game)

As for hidden role/cooperative game. Battlestar is excellent. And you can win as the humans. It is more difficult, but more satisfying when it happens. I would also suggest Shadows over Camelot. I prefer it to Battlestar. I like the theme better.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15062/shadows-over-ca...

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Wernig
Austria
Villach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much! I think I will get 1960 now and Twilight when its reprinted.
The thing I don't like about werewolves is, well werewolves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.