Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a few games of Stone Age via an online client, and it seems like the only way you can win is by investing heavily in Civilization cards. The buildings and in-game scoring seem inconsequential compared to the value of the Civilization cards.

You get resources (which Civ cards ask for any type so it only makes sense to farm wood) then feed them into the Civ cards.

I may be missing something, or not getting something, so help me understand what that may be. I don't feel knowledgeable enough to criticize the game, but right now, it seems very one-dimensional.

Thanks for your input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You dont need to invest heavily in the civ cards, but they are important. Try to focus your efforts depending on which cards you take, and try to block cards of your opponent so they dont get too much of a benefit from a particular strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Civ cards definitely make up the bulk of the scoring, but the others are not completely inconsequential. There are a lot of cards that give bonuses for buildings, and you can really cash in on those if you play it right. The 1-7 buildings can be worth a lot of points, and you're going to end up with other resources anyway (between limitations on the wood and the bonuses from civ cards), and buildings help you make the best use of those. Spending 4 (or even 3) for a Civ card is often not the best deal, either.

Working a stack of buildings can also help you control the game end (and possibly end it before your opponent gets enough of the right civ cards to get their points).

Finally, I wouldn't consider "Civ Cards" to be a single victory path, either - you've got the green cards, and the bonuses for people, fields, tools, and buildings. If you're too spread out in those, you're not going to get a lot of points. You need to focus a bit, get the right cards and the right stuff.

It's no Caylus or Puerto Rico, but I don't consider the game one-dimensional (after 27 plays in person, and at least that many online)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Remember that you can control the length of the game. If someone is depending too heavily on a Civ card strategy, shut the game down by draining one stack of huts. Typically, the longer the game lasts, the more points can be scored through the Civ cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chipmafia wrote:
I may be missing something, or not getting something, so help me understand what that may be.

Group think, especially in two player games.

If you play 2 player (and often in 3 player, too), and nobody tries to hasten the game by building through a stack of huts, each player can collect a large amount of civi cards, and they will decide the game.

If one player (at least an experienced one) concentrates on building huts (especially from one stack), the game will be over much faster, and the players collecting civ cards will likely be behind.

If you play with 4 playes, the game has less rounds no matter how you play, the civ cards will be spread among more people, and the hut points will be much more important.

My rule of thumb is that on average, about half of your points will come from huts, and the other half from civ cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input!

I was under-valuing the fact that one can decide to end the game via hut cards. The games I have played usually end when the CIv cards run out, which is probably why the scores were around 350.

I havne't played anyone who doesn't play Civ cards heavily, so it may be that I can mix things up by trying the hut-building strategy.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chipmafia wrote:
Thanks for the input!

I was under-valuing the fact that one can decide to end the game via hut cards. The games I have played usually end when the CIv cards run out, which is probably why the scores were around 350.

I havne't played anyone who doesn't play Civ cards heavily, so it may be that I can mix things up by trying the hut-building strategy.

Thanks again.

In my experience, we've never run out of cards. The game has always ended when a pile of huts got empty.

By the way, civ. cards are quite powerful, but you can at least reduce the imbalance between cards and huts by adding the mini-expansion, Stone Age: The New Huts, which is quite easy and affordable to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.