Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, sorry for my poor english but it is not my mother tongue.

A Few Acres of Snow was out last Friday night. Loic wanted to learn the game before a possible purchase.
He played the French. After a reminder about easy to forget rules, we started the game.

Act 1: English pressure
Wanting to try a different opening than in my previous sessions, I decided to expand myself quickly towards Kennebec and Fort Duquesne in order to launch raids on Quebec and control Great Lakes region. With my starting hand and the draft of the bateau, I had the means of my ambitions.
I took Kennebec on turn 3, Cumberland on turn 4. In order to be able to launch raids, I drafted Rangers card.
To expand myself quickly, i bought Home Support card. On turn 7, i took Fort Duquesne. French was already under pressure.

Meanwhile, Loic took Fort St John, Halifax and Ticonderonga. He earned money by selling fur.
I noted that he has drafted a neutral settler card then Intendant card : clearly, he wanted to develop his villages.

I ran a raid on Quebec (unfortified). Unfortunately, Loic blocked the raid. I took Albany on turn 9 and fortified it on turn 12 to protect me from the French raids.
I made trading and began to buy military cards because of the conflit to come.
Meanwhile, Loic developed Montreal and Trois Rivieres, fortified Quebec and took Fort Beauséjour and Fort Frontenac.

Act 2: Pemaquid besieged
Then, Pemaquid was besieged by the French! I was able to defend it only one turn as Loic used his reserve and his Governor to bring military cards in his hand.
To my great despair, he fortified Pemaquid later, isolating Kennebec and threating Boston.
Enable to counterattacknor in Pemaquid nor fortify Boston, i expand myself deeper into the Great Lakes region (Fort Venengo, Fort Presqu'ile).
Loic took Fort W Henry, Fort Niagara, and with the Intendant, fortified Pemaquid.

At this stage of the game, my deck was very slow and rather inefficient due to the large number of locations in my possession.

Act 3: settlement and development race
I finally fortified Boston and launched a raid on Fort Niagara to block the French move towards Detroit ... in vain. Considering the endgame will be triggered by the French after the developement of his nine city, i accelerated my expansion (Detroit, Baltimore, Fort Niagara, Michilimakinac) and took some French points with raids. I drafted Governor card to fight against the inertia of my deck.

Loic launched a victorious raid on Fort Presqu'ile and fortified Port Royal. His deck allowed him to make towns from his villages (Pemaquid, Port Royal, Louisbourg, Oswego).

To delay the end of the game, i ran a kamikaze siege at Pemaquid but it was a defeat.
At this point of the game, Loic had 57 points and i had 55 points.

The tension was palpable :
- if the French will manage to have a good combo, he will end the game (he was left only one city)
- i had more points in reserve (development of Detroit and some other cities on the coast)

Act 4: the outcome
Loic raided Kennebec...I stopped it with the draw of Fortification card thanks to Home Support!
In response, i developped Fort Presqu'ile but Loic ended the game by developping Halifax.

Playing time: 2:15

Final score:
Loic (French) = 65 (59 + 6 French points)
Me (English) = 56 (54 + 2 English points)

Thoughts
A very nice game, pretty peaceful.

My starting hand allowed me to try 'expansion into the Great Lakes and raids on Quebec from Kennebec" opening. It is a good diversionary tactic as it focus the French to defend Quebec. However, excessive settlement make English deck quickly cumbersome and complicated to manage because of the locations cards.

Looking back, i drafted the Governor card too late: by purchasing it earlier, i would have been able to get rid of some locations (Fort Halifax, Kennebec, Norfolk, Cumberland, New York, New Haven and Boston).

Also, i should have developed St Mary, Baltimore and Philadelphia before taking Fort Duquesne. But the siege of Pemaquid make me disrupted and delayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stein
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice session report. Good narrative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sohn
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even without Governor card, why didn't you put your location cards in Reserve?

That will take "useless" cards out of your draw/discard deck.

I'm presuming you didn't do this from your pictures.

You don't need to just put military in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonnie H
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabrice,

Thanks for the session report. It is nice to see a different strategy from the British. I've never considered toward Kennebec for raiding of Quebec. It would need some early Governor'ing to clear out the chaff.

One thing I saw that you played wrong is developing locations that don't have a settler symbol. In your last picture, I noticed 3 locations near the Great Lakes that are upgraded when they couldn't be. Only Detroit is able to upgrade out in that area.
my misunderstanding that was caught by Frederic

Thanks again for the report.

Lonster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Bush
United States
Narberth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Lonster wrote:
Fabrice,

Thanks for the session report. It is nice to see a different strategy from the British. I've never considered toward Kennebec for raiding of Quebec. It would need some early Governor'ing to clear out the chaff.

One thing I saw that you played wrong is developing locations that don't have a settler symbol. In your last picture, I noticed 3 locations near the Great Lakes that are upgraded when they couldn't be. Only Detroit is able to upgrade out in that area.

Lonster

You can develop locations with no settler symbol, as long as they're worth VPs. You cannot develop locations that are worth 0 VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonnie H
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fbush555 wrote:
Lonster wrote:
Fabrice,

Lonster

You can develop locations with no settler symbol, as long as they're worth VPs. You cannot develop locations that are worth 0 VP.

Frederic,

Good catch. You're right. Somehow that slipped in my mind/understanding.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robsohn wrote:
Even without Governor card, why didn't you put your location cards in Reserve?

That will take "useless" cards out of your draw/discard deck.

I'm presuming you didn't do this from your pictures.

You don't need to just put military in there.

The problem with the reserve is that you can't definitely get rid of useless cards. The only action that allow you to do so is Governor.

I used to put into reserve military cards. It was the case during this session : i used the reserve to recover Pemaquid as it was fortified and the french deck was military oriented.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Session report Fabrice. Love the way you took us through the game play with pictures.

I wouldn't worry about your English either. It's pretty good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.