Popular Tags: [View All]
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello peeps,

I am Prashant , and I have been following the boardgamegeeok for 2-3 months , I was attracted to it after I saw some iOS games.

I was introduced to Ascension (and got my arse whopped in tournament) , Neruoshima Hex , Ghost Stories .. Amazing Board games

I finally thought I would buy the actual board and to my Horrors (which I pretty much knew) , there is NOTHING , absolutely NOTHING available in India . The only board games that's available is Monopoly and it's Indian variant , Scrabble , checkers , Ludo and that's about it. Yes nothing else . Nothing ! There are no shops which sell this , people have no idea what's a euro game and board games are considered for kids under 15 year !! heck even boardgame geek forum don't list India under their Asia subsection

Today , I somehow managed to get the guts and ordered Ascension(and it's expansion) and 7 wonders(and it's expansion) from Amazon. A freaking $55 shipping charges and $44 custom charges would be paid by me on shipment worth the games itself.Ebay India has nothing, no use buying second hand imports as customs would charge me import duty for games being 1st hand only.

Now , I have to teach them to my friends and gf ! And I have to find people to play them with. Wish me Luck . Any of you drop my in Mumbai , I wholeheartedly invite you for cutting chai(1/2 cup of tea popular in mumbai) and a game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck - and if you're ever in Melbourne...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are quite a few print and play games available through this site. Those should help scratch the boardgaming itch.

Good luck spreading the love of good games in India!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck getting board games in India! You need to get in touch with some of the many NRIs (non-resident Indians) that live in the UK and US.

Unfortunately, it's probably going to be several years before I make it to India again, so I can't help you now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
(For what it's worth, foreign shipping and customs costs in a lot of countries are painful.)

EitherOrlok wrote:
There are quite a few print and play games available through this site. Those should help scratch the boardgaming itch.

Good luck spreading the love of good games in India!

Also lots of great abstract strategy games are playable with simple components like chess boards etc, if you're into abstract strategy at all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I'm catching the distinct aroma of opportunity.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

I'm catching the distinct aroma of opportunity.

S.

I believe that
Julian Clarke
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
www.unhalfbricking.com
badge
EuroGamer since 1980, & online games retailer since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
started a small retail game website largely so he could order games in bulk from the US and save himself on the shipping to Australia. Not saying that's a good idea for everyone, though....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Given India's economy and population, I'd be thinking licensing, not shipping.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck with your future endeavor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank You all for sympathy , I deserved it

But on a serious note @sagrilarus , you are correct , licensing is a big pain here , and since it's a niche market , it's a risky maneuver for importing companies as big taxes are levied here.

@Matt , Respect to Julian for pursuing his interest like this , setting up a company here to import is a PAIN , loads of licensing issues , plus duties , I have to first hope that the games ordered from Amazon arrive to me in 1 pc without any extra duty as amazon itself forces loads of rules to buy . I couldn't order Puerto Rico , Neruoshima Hex as they cannot be delivered in my country , I guess partly to licensing costs

@Nik , I would check out these board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone sends you a package claiming it's a gift worth 0$, or your personal belonging, do you have to have to pay tax for that?

If not…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZÈRTZ can be played with washers and assorted nuts.

2p Haggis and many other games can be played with a standard card deck. Even more can be played if you get a Rage deck.

If I ever come to Mumbai I'll geekmail you and you can tell me what games to buy you. :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Prashant,
maybe other experienced users from India could give you helpful advice. Try to contact them.
These are the few I found:
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Anand Nadar
United States
Clinton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Pradeep Nair
India
MUMBAI
MAHARASHTRA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Mohit Goel
India
Mumbai
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sanjay Subrahmanyan
India
Chennai
Tamil Nadu
flag msg tools
badge
Play a boardgame and get social
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

When I said licensing I was talking about licensing existing games. Print in India for domestic distribution. I realize that's a huge leap from where you are right now, i.e., looking to pick up a couple of games to play, but with a billion people there's likely to be 10,000 willing to purchase Dominion or Carc.

Find a friend with more money than sense and give him Jay Tummelson's phone number. Jay walked down this same path about 15 years ago in the U.S., introducing more than a few of us to games we didn't even know existed.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Kwiatkowski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bookdepository.com has free shipping worldwide and they stock some FFG games. It's hard to find the games on their website because they don't have a separate category for boardgames, but this Geeklist should help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, welcome to Boardgamegeek! You've just taken your first steps into a larger world full of fun.

Good luck with your endeavour in finding gaming buddies and maybe also stores. As Berthold already mentioned you should contact other users from your country to get some more information. India is huge, so there might be ways you don't know about. Heck, even I don't know each and every gaming store (online or retail) in MY country.

And last but not least - have fun!cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I feel your pain, just deal with it. $44 dollars of shipping for 4 items is not that much (I usually pay $80 for 4 items).

Also, don't buy from amazon. Online stores are usually cheaper and don't force you to pay taxes upfront.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mohit Goel
India
Mumbai
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just started an online store www.blahgames.com for testing the market. Currently have a small collection of about 30 games which we are selling in India.

Lets see how this pans out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Berthold Nüchter , i Cannot thank you enough , once you showed me there are so many more boardgamers , i got in contact with Madhu , Mohit(who also posted here) and hopefully I would be meeting Mohit for a boardgame next weeekend !

Sweet .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
You are lucky that two of them even live in your town. I hope you'll have fun. Welcome to the world of board gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
prashantmaheshwari wrote:
. I couldn't order Puerto Rico , Neruoshima Hex as they cannot be delivered in my country , I guess partly to licensing costs

Huh? Certain games can't be delivered to India? Is this a common phenomenon? I've never heard of such a thing.

Could someone enlighten my international-copyright-law ignorance and explain to me how this works?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mohit Goel
India
Mumbai
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elendil wrote:
prashantmaheshwari wrote:
. I couldn't order Puerto Rico , Neruoshima Hex as they cannot be delivered in my country , I guess partly to licensing costs

Huh? Certain games can't be delivered to India? Is this a common phenomenon? I've never heard of such a thing.

Could someone enlighten my international-copyright-law ignorance and explain to me how this works?

I don't think that is the case. My guess is that the games were being ordered from amazon.com. Sometimes the game is sold through amazon.com by another vendor and that vendor might not support international shipping.
So on checkout (once you put the delivery address), it says that the game cannot be shipped to your location.

Most of the regular US online shops like funagain, csi, boardsandbits, cardhaus, etc. ship all games to India
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I'm guessing his use of the word "licensing" isn't precise.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.