Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
81 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Wargamers discuss: What would really happen if a Godzilla like creature attacked a major US city? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's keep it central. Let's say a giant monster crawled out of Lake Michigan without warning and began rampaging through Chicago. Let's say the monster was pretty damn big--say a couple hundred feet tall--and we know for certain that standard hand weapons like pistols or rifles don't even penetrate the skin.

What would the actual 2011 US military do?

I think it's a fascinating topic. The old Godzilla movies make him out to be for all intents and purposes invincible to us puny humans and its just other monsters that he fights, which is silly. And newer movies like Cloverfield just ignored the issue altogether and just stuck with the lame hand-cam with a small group of survivors plotlines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Place 3-units stacks every other hex to minimize the chances of Godzilla overrun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
BoB3K wrote:
Let's keep it central. Let's say a giant monster crawled out of Lake Michigan without warning and began rampaging through Chicago. Let's say the monster was pretty damn big--say a couple hundred feet tall--and we know for certain that standard hand weapons like pistols or rifles don't even penetrate the skin.

I think it's a fascinating topic. The old Godzilla movies make him out to be for all intents and purposes invincible to us puny humans and its just other monsters that he fights, which is silly. And newer movies like Cloverfield just ignored the issue altogether and just stuck with the lame hand-cam with a small group of survivors plotlines.

As it would automatically be considered an endangered species, no action could be taken.

An immediate injunction would be served for PETA.

The 'threat' would be welcomed as a newly discovered and protected species.

The good people of Chicago would need to move.

The rest; lawyers, politicians and gangsters (the unHoly Trinity of Chicago) can be lizard licked up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Sager
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mothra would save us, or maybe Gamera.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From OCS Rules v4.0:

21.10a Godzilla. Deep in the enemy
rear areas lurks a giant, hungry lizard. Units
fear monsters, so they prefer not to go too
far out on a limb, for fear of becoming
lizard food. Defining what a "raider" is
for this is difficult, so players will need
to use common sense. Qualifying units
tend to be small, out of trace supply, out
of range of an HQ, and positioned so that
they block enemy supply trace (and that is
their primary purpose). If you find a unit or
stack that seems to qualify, Godzilla eats
them and they reappear in the dead pile.

F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have ran this simulation a number of times (The Creature That Ate Sheboygan) and I can say that there is 77.3% chance that the monster will reign supreme.

In a related note, later this year, that very scenario is going to happen: The Monsters of the Midway are going to rise up and destroy Green Bay, Wisconsin -- namely Lambeau Field and the pitiful green and yellow army that attempts to defend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:

I think there would be a great deal of indecision and bureaucratic inertia, as each level of government either tried to take responsibility, or tried to pass it off to the next level in line. Pretty much happens in all major disasters, doesn't it? I think you'd probably have something really ridiculous happen, like the existing legislation kicking in, such that the Chicago Dog Catchers, or the Illinois Fish and Game Department eventually realized (or asserted) they had responsibility, and then had to make a formal request of the national guard, or the federal disaster relief agency for assistance, who would then need to decide if they could call on federal troops...by which time Godzilla had rampaged out of the state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I should clarify. What do you think would be the actual military tactics and technology used against said beast?

You know. How would they try and blow him up? Or maybe they couldn't even fire at him within the city. Although at some point, the threat level would make it to a point where lethal force would be authorized, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
Maybe I should clarify. What do you think would be the actual military tactics and technology used against said beast?

A Maverick missile to its behind should take care of the problem nice and easy. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...began rampaging through Chicago...

Then Chicago would look the way Detroit looks now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:

You know. How would they try and blow him up? Or maybe they couldn't even fire at him within the city. Although at some point, the threat level would make it to a point where lethal force would be authorized, right?

First of all - what colour would the creature be?

I think that's about as speculative a question as the ones you are asking us, to be honest.

If the creature was about to destabilize a nuclear power plant, they'd probably kill it. Otherwise - there's no reason to assume that "blowing it up" would necessarily be the first response. I think the military would be more concerned with the evacuation of civilians, to be honest, or possibly trapping the creature - though once you're trapped it, how do you feed it. It's not like you can ask it when its hungry, or what it likes to eat.

I think the reason no plans exist to deal with such an eventuality is because - such an eventuality will never happen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
See Square/Cube Law.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup for the forum title alone.

If small arms fire versus the creature is the equivalent of a BB gun shot to a human (i.e. insufficient penetrating power) I imagine the military's next step would be anti tank weapons. A couple of Hellfire laser guided missiles would probably be the equivalent of bullets to the beast. Scramble a couple of Apache's and it's all over.

Now if the creatures skin was somehow tougher than modern composite tank armors (highly unlikely, but hey, we're talking about a 100+ foot monster here) then I imagine the next step up would be bunker buster bombs. A 5,000 pound, rocket assisted, laser guided headache, designed to penetrate 20 ft+ of reinforced concrete.

And if that doesn't work - then it's time to get creative. Chemicals, electricity, dig a big hole in the ground and fill it with acid, and eventually (if it can be drawn away from population centers) tactical nukes.

Failing all that - send in a hot chick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NOT a Wargame !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:
...dig a big hole in the ground and fill it with acid

That only works on confused Venus Probes.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
BoB3K wrote:

Convince him to join up by offering the Canuck US citizenship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:

Label it a terrorist...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your time is better spent planning against the significantly more likely possibility of invasion by flying saucers, whose occupants have the technology to raise the dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:
If small arms fire versus the creature is the equivalent of a BB gun shot to a human (i.e. insufficient penetrating power) I imagine the military's next step would be anti tank weapons. A couple of Hellfire laser guided missiles would probably be the equivalent of bullets to the beast. Scramble a couple of Apache's and it's all over. Now if the creatures skin was somehow tougher than modern composite tank armors (highly unlikely, but hey, we're talking about a 100+ foot monster here) then I imagine the next step up would be bunker buster bombs. A 5,000 pound, rocket assisted, laser guided headache, designed to penetrate 20 ft+ of reinforced concrete.

Yeah, this is what my gut is telling me too. Even the most ferocious and armored beast that was still a living creature within our real physical biological world would be barely a threat at all to us beyond a few buildings it would smash and maybe the abandoned city block we would level taking it out.

Now, if there was an invasion of hundreds of them....

DarrellKH wrote:

Yes, but we had dinosaurs. We can take it up another notch. Perhaps its bone structure is more fortified and maybe made up of a stronger material. I certainly don't think it's impossible, biologically to have a 200 foot beast. I think he would probably be pretty lumbaring and sluggish though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
I think your time is better spent planning against the significantly more likely possibility of invasion by flying saucers, whose occupants have the technology to raise the dead.

That threat has been eliminated. Tor, Vampira and Ed are all long gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
PS, the fact that you think a "monster" can rise up and "attack" Chicago without itself getting killed within minutes by the city's denizens speaks of an ignorance, that frankly, I'd expect only from a European.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
citizen k wrote:
PS, the fact that you think a "monster" can rise up and "attack" Chicago without itself getting killed within minutes by the city's denizens speaks of an ignorance, that frankly, I'd expect only from a European.

Replace 'rise up' with 'get elected' and this becomes more plausible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:

Yes, but we had dinosaurs. We can take it up another notch. Perhaps its bone structure is more fortified and maybe made up of a stronger material.

Yes, perhaps the giant monster's bones are fortified with adamantium, and it has a mutant healing factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
BoB3K wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:

Yes, but we had dinosaurs. We can take it up another notch. Perhaps its bone structure is more fortified and maybe made up of a stronger material.

Yes, perhaps the giant monster's bones are fortified with adamantium, and it has a mutant healing factor.

See, that wasn't so hard, was it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
Blame Canada for the disaster, and remove its dictator with extreme prejudice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.