Subject: Alternative ways to say you're going to a board game convention? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When people take days off work to go to a boardgaming convention and your workplace would like a general of where you'll be, do you just straight up tell your coworkers that you're going to a board gaming convention? If not, any generic, but still specific enough alternatives? I could just say "personal day" but I suppose it wouldn't kill me to be a bit creative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Y
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personal enrichment seminar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just tell them I am going to a board game convention. I used to take "personal" days. Then I discovered just telling my boss where I was going worked as well. Funny thing is, now a few of my co-workers join me at some local conventions. So we all take the time off....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I'm going out of town for a convention in [wherever you're going]."

Most people won't ask a lot of details. If they ask questions, then tell them where you're going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell them you're off to spend a weekend playing "adult games" devilninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry can't help much.

I just tell them I'm going to a board gaming convention.

Just tell them you are meeting up with some friends to hang out for a weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't hide it, but neither would I feel the need to mention it.

People are naturally curious though, so if I am going out of town I might mention the area I am travelling to, if anybody expresses interest. If the interest is strong enough for the conversation to continue beyond that point, I would mention the game convention as one of several things I plan to check out in the area. For me, that would be true, as I'm too curious to ever attend a convention to the exclusion of all else when I travel.

People I socialize with know I like games, so if I go to a game convention I may as well mention where I am going to them, since I won't be able to keep from talking about it when I get back anyway! People I don't socialize with generally don't discuss my activities with me anyway.

So, where are you off to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim: "Ted, I won't be in on Monday or Tuesday. Need to go see a dragon about a chest and then a little wooden person about a victory point".

Ted: "emm... OK Jim, why not take the week off and go see your doctor".

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I am always visiting old friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ackmondual wrote:
When people take days off work to go to a boardgaming convention and your workplace would like a general of where you'll be, do you just straight up tell your coworkers that you're going to a board gaming convention?

Yes. This came up over labour day weekend. What are you doing this weekend? I'm off to a convention to play board games.

My standard answer to the introduce-yourself-to-a-new-team/say-something-about-yourself question is that I design board & card games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Scoring some fresh wood."

"Checking out what I can get to expand my box."

"Picking up something new, hot, and cheap, and then sticking it in my trunk with the others."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
badge
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mbmbmbmbmb
Be happy you're not going to roleplay conventions! That really tends to get the coworkers confused/assuming the kinkiest.

I work in a 13-man department so after a few weeks of patient explaining, I can just say I'm off to play board, video and/or roleplay games. Though occasionally it's still weird:

Boss: What are you doing for the long weekend, Jules?
Me: Oh, I'm going to the Ardennes, we've rented a house with two other couples for the weekend.
Boss: Oh, how sporty! You'll have a great time cycling through the forest, swimming in the lakes and walking through the hillside!
Me: Yeah, um..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Me: I'm headed to Dallas for a few days.
Boss: For what?
Me: For some rest and relaxation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have no problem telling the truth, but my employer would never ask where I was going, unless it seemed like I didn't mind talking about it. But if they wanted to know how I was spending my time off, I'd probably tell them to get stuffed... it's none of their damn business!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard Conference

When you get a confused stare, just say you're into different types of cardboard and other wood products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People in my office don't hide the fact that they are taking a "personal day" to go play golf. Golf is a game (sport) last time I checked too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
When people take days off work to go to a boardgaming convention and your workplace would like a general of where you'll be, do you just straight up tell your coworkers that you're going to a board gaming convention? If not, any generic, but still specific enough alternatives? I could just say "personal day" but I suppose it wouldn't kill me to be a bit creative.

One wonders why in the heck your workplace think they have a right to know where you are going when you take vacation days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had a problem telling people I'll be at a convention playing board games. It can be difficult describing what board games I'll be playing (many assume I'm playing stuff normally found at mass-market retailers - Monopoly, Risk et al). Try describing Power Grid, Agricola, or 1830 to non-gamers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Aura

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I straight up say I'm going to a convention. Usually nothing else is asked about it but occasionally it is and I answer. It was much cooler when I had a co-worker who liked anime and other geeky things and we would talk about Anime Expo but she moved away and now I'm the weirdo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to tell people where I was going. I have no issue with my hobbies and if people at work cared enough to ask, they are likely friends who know me well enough to either be there with me or not care what I do with my time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's nothing to be ashamed of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
Is it bad that I don't even have to say what it is for and they already know?

*shrug*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I meet new people (especially for dating purposes), one of the first things I've been doing is tell them about boardgames and show them a picture of an 18C2C: Manifest Destiny board about mid-game.

Their reaction, positive or negative, determines a good deal about how much interest I have in pursuing that relationship further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerri Mullis
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small business or work seminar. It will make them wonder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Hookers and blow."

They'll either stop asking questions, or you'll be fired on the spot. Either way, you'll have more time for gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.