15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Midwest

Subject: New Gaming Shop in Ohio rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Holland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello fellow BoardGeekGamers! My buddies are opening a brand new Full Line Gaming Store in Newark Ohio and I am looking to hold a huge day of gaming there to help them celebrate and bring Ohio Board Gamers together. We are looking to overtake the gaming area which is the entire bottom floor which holds around 13-15 tables for around 30-40 players plus a separate gaming room that could hold another 10-15. I will be bringing a huge stash of games I have available from my personal collection to play. Games including newer titles like Thunderstone and older games like Double Trouble, Clue Museum Caper, and those in between like Pizzabox Football, Battleball, and many many more. Please voice in your opinion about attending an event like this. We were also thinking about having a door fee that gives you access to all the games to play. We wont go into the details of that but we are looking for a low cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where in Newark?

Also - is the door fee for open gaming going to be a standard thing? If so, want me to keep a thrifty eye out to build a library? Glad to help...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thumbed it till you said charging at the door? Most shops let you play for free, and most have a wide selection of new games to play, paying to play battleball or pizzabox football would not get me there - OK thunderstone is nice and I would play that one - bought I doubt I would pay to play it.

So is the $ for you and your collection or for the store?

If you let people play for free you will probably get more people, but just my thoughts - and get more people to the shop to see what a great new place it is.

And I am way to far to come to it myself, but I use to live in Ohio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Holland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No the fee would be just for like if we rented out the game room

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Holland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Timmy the door fee is for like a convention type of thing. Its also for renting out the entire game play area for the day. The money would go in to buying some products to hand out as door prizes, etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so the question remains, where in Newark, and when are you opening?

The fee thing isn't a bother for me - i mean, CABS charges a fee, that coffee shop in Toronto requires purchase... if players are using a library of gaming materials, i think a fee is totally justified. Plus, if it is a comforting place, then there has to be something other than game sales to keep it running, especially in a smaller town like Newark.

As someone local, I wouldn't mind. The big hurdle with CABS is the distance for me, if there was a mini CABS in Newark my whole family would probably be "in"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Holland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Newark is about 30 minutes east of Columbus. We have a good gaming group that on a good board game night could bring in about 20 players easily

The gaming collection that will be used will be mine and I will take no money charge for it being used. The Fee is to go towards rewards, prizes, etc at the store itself so the store gets profits from the event and the use of their space.

There are also games I never mentioned to play. I have games ranging from the year 1960 to current stuff. It would be a great theme for an event and for a business

The shop is set to open on the 23rd of September.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Holland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate Newark is where you and I meet up and traded games at my work. The New store is about 5 minutes from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Newark very well, born and raised in Granville... I just mean to ask more specifically where. Is it in downtown, or out by the mall, or 21st street... like a shopping center or something? Just curious, really. 23rd of september? That is really close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We know where Newark is... what's the address and website URL of your new venture? i'll stop by next time i'm in the area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Holland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate yeah looking at 23rd for opening. It is on 30th street. Near the Subway and that convience store.

Cracky, The website is still in development.

74. South 30th Street

And remember not my shop, just getting word out for my good buddies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Literally walking distance from my job (and the Jolly Pirate)!

Perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Holland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, that makes sense, thanks

I get to travel a bit in the US and all the games shops I have hit, say at least 8 different ones, and a few here in Latin America that have tables and games you can try do not charge. You can use there space to play your own games, or games from their in store library. All for free. They have game nights where groups meet up and still no charge. So I was just curious, I understands CABS charges, but they have a hall they use and I have never been there, but I don't think it is a game store in its own right, but I could be wrong here.

If there are prizes and such, I understand the fee. I just wondered if some people may not show up because of the fee,who would with out it? Most stores owners I have talked to say they just want more new people to see the shop and know they can come game and hang out, but also that they can buy games there also. As a serious gamer I may not buy at the store, but if I bring a few friends to play games at the store then the store gets more exposure and maybe some of the newbs will buy something.

I am excited for More game store in Ohio, All the best of luck and I hope your game day goes great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Aichele
United States
Zanesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just stumbled across this thread. Did anything ever get started on this? It would be nice to have a gaming option closer than CABS in Columbus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.