Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We trying to find fun little games that I could fit in a small container or bag thats easy to keep on hand for our group or just the two of us that we could take when we are out to fill that boring time you you always run into and or use to play away from home just to get some gaming in outside or at a cafe'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is always my Food Fight! card game. Though you may want to put it away before the server notices the theme or they might look at you kinda funny. Or maybe you'll get some special treatment so you don't enact the theme in real life. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Farrington
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bananagrams can be played in a short version perfect for this. I think their rules even suggest it. And the banana package of tiles is easy to carry around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Games with coins, e.g.
Fight!
Coin Clusters

Also see geeklists:
Small games for two to be played in the restaurant while waiting
Coin games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2 players
+1 Hive
further, Ebbe & Flut and Adaptoid

For more players I´d suggest Palastgeflüster, For Sale, Corporation, Fairy Tale
and last but not least my Topology

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaysachs wrote:

Hive definitely wins for two players, at least in my eyes. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To Court the King is a Yahtzeeish dice game with some special abilities thown in the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
You wouldn't by chance have an iPhone/iPod-Touch/iPad? I take my Touch when I go to eat out with my daughter and let her play games on it so I can actually get some of my own food down. There are lots of good quick games for it (she like Army of Frogs for instance).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities is quick, requires minimal setup, and can essentially be played with just the deck of cards.

Monopoly Deal Card Game is another option. Quick to play with 2, tiny box, cheap game.

Archaeology: The Card Game is fairly quick and compact, but setup can be a bit of a pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KT
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the Shoptaugh travel series will be exactly what you want. small hard plastic games which fit into the palm of one hand and can be shaken during play (not inverted though) without loss of game state.
I have calypso and shuttles (and really want interplay) but there hard to find.
Good Luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am big into pulling out quick games in restaurants or outdoors! I even usually take a game or two with me while riding my bike or snowboarding.

Zombie Dice is great for this as long as you are okay with something light. It's good for two players or as many as you want. It's especially small if you take it out of the tube and use a bag to carry it around (I use an old Crown Royal bag). This game is by far the most common one that my husband and friends and I pull out when we are waiting in a restaurant or anywhere.

As others have said, Hive is also great if you have just two players. It doesn't take up a lot of space, has no setup time, won't get dirty or damaged, and is fun and quick.

Slide 5 is also fun for this purpose because it's so quick and allows a huge player range, from 2 up to 8 or 10, but it's cards, so you need to worry about keeping them clean and also need enough space for the four hills of cards.

I have also often played Archaeology: The Card Game while waiting for food in restaurants. It is a little longer to set up and you have to worry about the cards staying clean, but it works if you have about 15 or 20 minutes to spare.

I recently removed Jaipur from its box and carry that in my purse in a small bag. It's good for two, but you need enough table space and a clean enough environment to avoid damaging the chips and cards.

Any of the Fluxx varieties are good for this purpose. I especially like Martian Fluxx.

I have also been carrying around Fairy Tale hoping that it will work for this purpose, but so far, that hasn't happened.

I just recently got Sushizock im Gockelwok, and that also looks good for impromptu gaming at restaurants or outdoors because it consists of durable tiles and some wooden dice. No cards to damage or blow away in the wind. Pickomino looks similar and would probably would work well too, as long as you don't mind playing a game about fried worms while waiting for food. I noticed that the Pickomino box is significantly larger than the Sushizock box, but probably both would get much more compact if put in a bag instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dyer
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ususally bring Pickomino with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
I used to have Cosmic Wimpout. It's probably stuffed in a box somewhere. I'll have to hunt for it sometime. A quick little push-your-luck dice game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Get yer finger off my head!!
mbmb
TREEHOUSE from looney Labs is quite a quick and easy game to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kämmen mein schnurrbart
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Hive. There's also Zip-It, which is a more compact version of Bananagrams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalco wrote:
To Court the King is a Yahtzeeish dice game with some special abilities thown in the mix.

While I like To Court the King, I would think the prospect of chasing a die that rolls off the table under other customers tables would be enough for me to leave it at home. (this goes for any other dice game)

Hive does sound like a great 2p option, truth be told.

My suggestion for a 2p game to be different might be Micropul. It's very compact, it's cheap (print and play, and simple and low-cost to make to boot) and the suggestion has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I just made mine yesterday afternoon and would much rather be playing it than working right now whistle
Apparently, if you have 2 sets, you can play with up to 4 by putting the sets together.

Onirim is fun and compact, but I've only played the solitaire version, so I can't speak to the co-op variant.

Just about anything with a travel version is likely a good idea too. Blokus Duo, Ingenious: Travel Edition are two that spring to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:
Lost Cities is quick, requires minimal setup, and can essentially be played with just the deck of cards.

Monopoly Deal Card Game is another option. Quick to play with 2, tiny box, cheap game.

Archaeology: The Card Game is fairly quick and compact, but setup can be a bit of a pain.

Beat me to it.

+1 Monopoly deal
+1 Archaeology The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shelley
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Bag-O-Loot... it comes in a little golden sack, and you can play a round in 5-8 minutes. Perfect!

ps: I am the game designer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
An iPad.

My wife and I play Small World waiting for orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
The nestorgames.com site has a ton of foldable, roll-up games. They're a tad bit on the pricey side but so be it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Devourer of Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flapjacks & Sasquatches

Quick and fun easy to teach game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.