United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
\|/
badge
/|\
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for thoughts on the map posters. Personally I think it was kind of cheap of them to put poster instead of tiles, but I haven't received my set yet so I don't know the quality of the posters. Is it any good? Does it look like it will last for any period of time? Have you tried a mix and match with the tiles? Is it all just a ploy to make you buy the upcoming tile set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they're trying to make a cheaper cost to get into the game, and make it so Dust Warfare players don't pay for things they don't want.

The quality of the posters is ok, but not great. Out of the box, I could already see a little bit of wear on the folds, and I have a couple corners that got folded weird as well.

They're also shinier than the tiles, and I find I get some bad glare in my gaming room (but this depends on your lighting situation).

The actual map layouts themselves are fun to use, but down the road when I hope to have Cyclone and Seelowe and their extra tiles, I don't see using the Revised Core map posters except for the specific Victory Bridge scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McDonald
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
\|/
badge
/|\
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

I was considering scanning them and printing on sticker paper to affix to cardboard. But if it is as you say and they aren't of much use beyond the specific scenarios I will probably just scan them so I can print out on paper if needed to replace them if (or should I say when)they get damaged (I really just dislike paper game components).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the bridge and water tiles would actually be really good to have as individual cardboard tiles (which is probably why the new tile set includes them.)

But I would find using the posters enough of an annoyance that once I have more tiles, I probably wouldn't be bothered to pull out the posters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McDonald
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
\|/
badge
/|\
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, so the new set will have bridge and water. That's good, I'll grab that when it comes out and hopefully will just be able to tuck the posters into the bottom of the box and forget about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deckard Cole
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I picked up a piece of plexiglass (36X42 I think it is) back when I got into Monsterpocalypse (all paper maps). It works great for the new Dust core set as well, it flattens the maps and hold them in place. I place the units and obstacles directly on the plexiglass, it makes the games that use these cheap paper maps look great (IMHO).

Now, I will say, if you have strong overhead lighting it might be a problem. I've, due to personal taste, always used indirect lighting in my house so it works quite well.

It's not as crafty as the print and mount solution but it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.