Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I decide to banish this card and get the second turn, can I view my hand first ... or do I decide to get the second turn prior to refilling and reviewing the cards in my hand.

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to do it during your turn. You refill your hand at the end of the turn. So you don't get to see your hand before choosing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter van Helvoort
Netherlands
flag msg tools
CaptainCosmic wrote:
Dr Brian wrote:
When I decide to banish this card and get the second turn, can I view my hand first ...

No, but that would be awesome. cool

There's nothing quite like the feeling of banishing the tablet ... then getting three Apprentices, a Milita, and a Mechana Initiate.

I once got even worse. I had already banished 4 starting cards. I had built myself a monster-head-bashing-machine (not just heavies, but also 2 Demon Slayers, Emri, Spike Vixen... Typically, I am instant-killing any monster on the board - trying to finish the game quickly while I'm still ahead. (Wind Tyrants rule for getting expensive stuff... The occasional extra double draw from an Earth Tyrant doesn't hurt either... )

During my turn, Avatar comes out, with Hedron Cannon already in the center row, and my opponent having 6 mechana's out already (including Rocket Courier), and she's pretty much capable of instant-buying anything she wants. Naturally, the prospect of a rune-heavy opponent gaining 7 power each turn is not very appealing... But no worries, my tablet will do that trick for me - and I smile: "I'll get an 8 honor Shadow Star!". So, I end my turn, draw 5, look at them..................... 4 apprentice, 1 militia. Hurray. A starting hand. And not even a good one. And there's not even a regular Shadow Star out for me to get...zombie

Oh well, that's what you get for playing a game that involves luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hedron Engineer wrote:
So, I end my turn, draw 5, look at them..................... 4 apprentice, 1 militia. Hurray. A starting hand. And not even a good one. And there's not even a regular Shadow Star out for me to get...zombie

Luck mitigates itself pretty well in deckbuilding games. With a hand like that, it means that the hands around it (just before it and after it) have a lower proportion of those awful cards and a higher proportion of the good stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:
Hedron Engineer wrote:
So, I end my turn, draw 5, look at them..................... 4 apprentice, 1 militia. Hurray. A starting hand. And not even a good one. And there's not even a regular Shadow Star out for me to get...zombie

Luck mitigates itself pretty well in deckbuilding games. With a hand like that, it means that the hands around it (just before it and after it) have a lower proportion of those awful cards and a higher proportion of the good stuff.
Unless there won't be another turn left, in the case that the Honor pool is about out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
trenttsd wrote:

I completely disagree with this. Somedecks in some deckbuilding games wll be good/bad card decks (like Big Money in Dominion), but many decks are about combinations or access (through thinning, card drawing, etc.).

There are high variance and low variance plays, and both can win. Deckbuilding games have a built-in replayability mechanism, but I wouldn't say that luck mitigates itself. It's just as easy to draw all one type of combo piece and know you have to then draw all the others.

Doesn't mean I don't love Ascension, but deckbuilding games are probably the most capricious games rated highly at this site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.