Hide
9 Posts

Quarriors!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Reaction question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rachel
msg tools
so I've read two very long FAQ's and didn't see my answer (sorry if I'm just being dense).

"reaction" - the book says "on your opponent's turn"

But there are a couple cards (don't have them in front of me right now) that say stuff like "Reaction: for the rest of this turn, you are at a +4 defense".

The text on the card seems to suggest that you must wait until a creature is destroyed before the spell can be cast. Reaction = a reaction to something = something must happen first. "For the rest of this turn" = not the whole turn = not from the begining = something must happen first

But the text in the book (on your opponent's turn) suggests that you can play it at any time during someone's turn.

So - which way is right? Do I have to wait until a creature is destroyed to play a reaction, or can I cast my spell before I start losing creatures?

Thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Skedzielewski
United States
Augusta TWP
Michigan
flag msg tools
Who has two thumbs and likes Tacos....?
badge
...This Guy!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My initial thoughts seem to think you can use it in response to them readying there creatures.

Otherwise that spell seems pretty awful...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You can use it as a reaction to them summoning a creature. A "turn" is a single player's turn. So if you are Player A and you ready this spell during your turn, you can either cast the reaction to Player B's turn or Player C's turn (in a 3-player game) and it would only be good for the rest of that player's turn. If Player B doesn't summon, save it for Player C. If C doesn't summon, the thing simply gets discarded.

But if B summons creatures and you choose to cast it, it won't be available to protect your creatures if Player C summons anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wrong on the storage of spells before, but those were the immediate ones. Reaction spells can be stored in the ready area until you use them as they do not have the "immediate" tag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Will
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
From the rules (p18):

Quote:
You may cast a reaction spell at any time during your opponent's turn, but you may not cast these spells when it is your turn.

Hint: Often, Reaction Spells are most useful if you cast them when another player's Creatures attack you.

So what you will want to do with this spell is...

On your turn:
* Ready the spell by moving it to your Ready area. You cannot cast it now.

On an opponent's turn:
* If the opponent isn't attacking, do nothing so you don't waste it.
* If the opponent is attacking...
** (Optional) You may Cast the spell if you want the effect. Spend the die immediately by moving it to your Used pile. The spell's effect lasts until this opponent's turn is over.

On your next turn:
* If you haven't used the spell yet.
** Nothing happens during Step 1 of your turn. Just score creatures normally. The die remains in your Ready section.
** (Optional) During Step 6 of your turn, you may discard the spell die by moving it to your Used pile. Or you can keep the spell readied for the next round of opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
You can use it as a reaction to them summoning a creature. A "turn" is a single player's turn. So if you are Player A and you ready this spell during your turn, you can either cast the reaction to Player B's turn or Player C's turn (in a 3-player game) and it would only be good for the rest of that player's turn. If Player B doesn't summon, save it for Player C. If C doesn't summon, the thing simply gets discarded.

I don't think so, Brian. I could be wrong, but the spell can remain in your ready area for later rounds/turns when you might need it. Readied spells don't get discarded until they are cast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hgcoleman wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

I don't think so, Brian. I could be wrong, but the spell can remain in your ready area for later rounds/turns when you might need it. Readied spells don't get discarded until they are cast.

That is correct. On page 14 of the rules it states that on phase 6 of each players turn you "may also choose to move any spells from your ready area to your used pile." In phase 1 you only discard creatures and spells ATTACHED to those creatures, there is never a time when you HAVE to discard readied spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
hgcoleman wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Good catch. I missed that previously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel
msg tools
thanks everyone! This is how we have been playing it - good to know we're doing it right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.