Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Space war epic theme game thing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cory Suter
United States
Orlando
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Heyo!

So I am on a quest for a space game. I love theme and I lack a good space game. Over the past while I have been browsing some games but all of them seem a little out of reach. Here is what I am looking for:

--Play time of under 2 hours.
--Aliens would be sweet (especially if multiple powers/abilities)
--Can totally be trashy (I like games that have random elements that can screw up a good strategy. Just like real life.)
--Can have Euro elements (as long as the game is not dry)
--Fast gameplay but still strategic and/or tactical (example: I don't want turn 2 to mess up turn 8)
--Pretty components (miniatures would be nice)
--Awesome battles that make everyone cheer/cry
--2 Player is a must but well-done scaling up to 4 or more would be great.
--It does NOT have to be space battles but can be fighting on planets with characters.
--HUGE BONUS: Sense of "Holy crap that was fun. Let's talk about it for another hour. No wait! Let's just play again then talk for 2 hours!"

Other games I have looked at:

I have looked at Twilight Imperium. Looks great but I would like to play a full game before I die.

Space Empires: 4x looks interesting but a little long and dry. Plus my roommate owns it.

Eclipse is cool looking but I have no idea what it really plays like and could be too dry as well. It is still a prototype (right?) and my money is burning a hole in my pocket.

My roommate has Cosmic Encounter so I don't want it.

Alien Frontiers looks like Kingsburg and I didn't take well to that game (but please convince me otherwise if you think it fits).

I own Merchants and Marauders and I love it. It is a little long but I think its fun.

Is there a game that offers battles both in space and on the ground?

I am open to other themes as well but fantasy is a little over done these days. There is a lot of info up there but I know that you peoples can help!

Thanks for the suggestions.
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Korreck
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Battleship Galaxies could scratch your itch. Tactical though, not strategic.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
StarCraft: The Board Game fits your requirements.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Eclipse could be pretty much what you describe, although it may run a little longer than 2 hours. Eclipse is out of prototyping and will be released pretty soon (Essen?).

Another option migt be to look at Risk 2210 A.D.. Get's pretty good reviews. I own it but haven't played it yet.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Suter
United States
Orlando
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for some quick responses. Battleship actually looks cool and I will consider it. Any experience with more than two players?

Starcraft looks great except I can't afford to pay for an Out of Print game

Risk 2210 is awful. I played it a long time ago and it ruined my Risk experiences. Thanks though! I may just have to wait for Eclipse to figure out what is going on with that sweet bit of board gaming coolness.

What else?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Farmer
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Conquest of Planet Earth or (if you can find it) Nexus Ops.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games come to my mind, one of them being quite expensive nowadays. Both pack some serious fun - although none of them is a empire building, fleet clashing type of game.

Number 1: Galaxy Trucker
No armies, wooden cubes, victory points... is it possible for this game to be fun AND fit your requirements? Yes, indeed. Because for a euro-ish game, this one drips with theme. You begin with building your ship out of a pile of parts, trying to get something that actually works in the end and has as much of everything onboard as is possible. When you are done your trip starts where you will try to get as many tradegoods as possible, shoot down as many pirates as possible, board as many ships as possible and so on. You will do this three times in a row, each time with your ship getting bigger (and therefore harder to construct) and the trips taking longer than before. The base game is really fun, downside is it can be quite optimized (if you want to). If you are in for pure mayhem, either get the expansion and add all the stuff in (resulting in your ship looking really battered in the end - i.e. if you reach the end) or just use all the spare cards after setting up the third trip or setting up a fourth trip. This will also do the job until you have the money to buy the expansion.
The game plays quite well with only two players, you should, however, remove some of the parts when building the ships. Otherwise there's just too much to choose from and both players end up with perfect ships.


Number 2: Space Hulk
Again, no armies. But this time you are fighting aboard an enormous conglomeration of wrecked space ships with your elite squad of superhuman warriors against countless numbers of hereitcal xenos.
Space Hulk is fast, aggressive and incredibly immersive because of the constant tension. The Marines have to act quickly as they are under constant pressure (time limit for your turn!) and there are corners, doors and tyranid creatures everywhere. This game can create truly epic moments (the one time, when the last marine fired the last shots of his assault cannon in the closing mass of enemies, and then, with the last shot his weapon overheated and whiped out every enemy nearby as well as himself. Gotta love those moments! ). Plus the game components are spectacular.
Drawback: this game is expensive. Really expensive. But given its original price tag which was $100 the price increase is somewhat acceptable.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lee
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Galactic Emperor would be my pick. Euro-influenced space conquest game.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 galaxy trucker.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Suter
United States
Orlando
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses so far!

@Hoyle A and Perturabo - Galaxy Trucker looks like a ton of fun. I have heard good things about 1/2 of the game but to be honest, I think it all looks fun. I was hoping for more of a Merchants & Marauders with UFOs or spaceships though.

@Mike Lee - Galactic Emperor doesn't play with 2 and I really want that feature. A little less Euro-ish would be nice too. I will keep it on the radar.

@tiger cats - Conquest of Earth actually might fit the bill. It doesn't look too complicated but still it has a little meat which is good. I'm afraid it might be, dare I say, too random? What is your experience on that front?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me that you're looking for Ascending Empires
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchant of Venus?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:

That's totally not space war.

I really think StarCraft: The Board Game could be what you're looking for.

Concerning Space Empires: 4X - did you play it? It really doesn't seem to be dry to me. Certainly not dry-as-in-euro, maybe dry-as-in-wargame but much less so than you'd expect from looking at the components; there's Doomsday Machines and black holes and evil aliens and ten classes of combat ships (plus bases and shipyards and three different kinds of non-combat ships), and plenty of dice rolls for excitement. Since your roommate owns it, I'd really recommend trying it out. It has all the epicness that you can possibly cram into 2-3 hours of play, for two players, probably longer for more.

I've yet to play Ascending Empires, looks neat indeed. Concerning Eclipse, that could be something, too, but I'm afraid that it might be too dry-as-in-euro for me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gromguitar4 wrote:
Conquest of Earth actually might fit the bill. It doesn't look too complicated but still it has a little meat which is good. I'm afraid it might be, dare I say, too random? What is your experience on that front?

Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game certainly is quite random throughout. Starting with randomly deciding which alien you get, then there's the randomness of the locations you land in, the enemies you fight, the gearstuffs and events you draw, and of course the combat dice.

Still, to me, the game was surprisingly strategic after all. There's elements of hand management (when do you play what card?) and long-term planning (when do you use which action point token?), you can decide between short-term gains and long-term improvements a lot of the time (gaining menace tokens vs. placing aliens vs. buying gear when the gear salesman is out) and generally, you get to decide lots of things that matter in sometimes subtle ways. I was pleasantly surprised by the impact of the non-random elements despite all the randomness in the game. It's not everything that decides games, but a major point.

What the game also offers is plenty of references to trash movies. I've looked through your list and didn't find "empire building" or "tech tree", which is good, because this game doesn't have it. On second thought, it might well really be exactly what you're looking for.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gromguitar4 wrote:
...

I have looked at Twilight Imperium. Looks great but I would like to play a full game before I die.

...


LOL laugh

thumbsup You should try Planet Masters, that's TI3 in under half an hour.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Suter
United States
Orlando
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ScYcS wrote:
Seems to me that you're looking for Ascending Empires


Oh man, this is probably what I'm looking for. The board just makes me SOOOO nervous! I'm holding off on that front unless someone can convince me otherwise.

haslo wrote:
I've looked through your list and didn't find "empire building" or "tech tree", which is good, because this game doesn't have it. On second thought, it might well really be exactly what you're looking for.


I'm not afraid of tech trees or empire building. Like I said, I like Merchants & Marauders. The upgrading system in that is well done and I'm not opposed to something a more complicated (well, not really complicated). Conquest looks ok, but I think it might get stale because it doesn't tell the best story AND it doesn't look that deep. I need at least one or the other. Thanks for the suggestions! I'm keeping my eyes peeled!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Suter
United States
Orlando
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tocoking wrote:
Gromguitar4 wrote:
...

I have looked at Twilight Imperium. Looks great but I would like to play a full game before I die.

...


LOL laugh

thumbsup You should try Planet Masters, that's TI3 in under half an hour.


Now that is a quick empire game! Nothing like the rise and fall of galactic civilizations in the time it takes to watch a TV sit com.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jacobs
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to say Space Empires 4x with your roommate sounds like a great idea. The game is surprisingly easy to learn both the basic rules and the advanced rules. It is way more thematic than it may first look and endlessly expandable with one expansion for race traits already in the works. The developer of the game has also made it so the game is highly customizable and has encouraged players to create their own thematic space experience. One of the few games where two hours of play time feels more like 30 mins.

There is a lot of chance with the dice but mitigated by a lot of strategy and development. There are technology trees but the technology is thematic and easy to understand. The game also has a really neat hidden element to the game which allows players to conduct moves in secret. It is a game that I was able to teach my g/f in 15 mins and she can't wait to play again (and my girlfriend found command and colors too complicated and took several tries to learn Dominion). If that isn't enough reason to at least try the game, it is also quickly moving up the war game ranks on BGG.
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Farmer
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
Gromguitar4 wrote:
Conquest of Earth actually might fit the bill. It doesn't look too complicated but still it has a little meat which is good. I'm afraid it might be, dare I say, too random? What is your experience on that front?

Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game certainly is quite random throughout. Starting with randomly deciding which alien you get, then there's the randomness of the locations you land in, the enemies you fight, the gearstuffs and events you draw, and of course the combat dice.

Still, to me, the game was surprisingly strategic after all. There's elements of hand management (when do you play what card?) and long-term planning (when do you use which action point token?), you can decide between short-term gains and long-term improvements a lot of the time (gaining menace tokens vs. placing aliens vs. buying gear when the gear salesman is out) and generally, you get to decide lots of things that matter in sometimes subtle ways. I was pleasantly surprised by the impact of the non-random elements despite all the randomness in the game. It's not everything that decides games, but a major point.

What the game also offers is plenty of references to trash movies. I've looked through your list and didn't find "empire building" or "tech tree", which is good, because this game doesn't have it. On second thought, it might well really be exactly what you're looking for.


You asked for my opinion, but I can't really say much more than Guido's fine assessment. Yes, it is a random game. But it's light, fun, and anyone I've taught it to has really enjoyed it. If I want a longer, heavier sci-fi experience then I pull out Twilight Imperium or Federation Commander. But when I want a lighter, faster game, I have found this game to be great. You can even play it in competitive or cooperative modes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to quote myself from another thread because that's always awesome:

----------------------------------------------------
Here's some suggestions for existing games:

Galactic Emperor
Ad Astra
Galaxy's Edge
Supernova

And there are a number of soon to be released or in-development titles that are also within the 4X genre.:

Eclipse (has quite a following!)
Hegemonic - a game I'm designing (in prototype/testing)
Omega Centauri
Space Empires: 4X

Lastly, check out the following GeekLists for some comprehensive listings:

The Ultimate 4X Games Geeklist - eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate: Games with an epic feel of gameplay

[geeklist=65738][/geeklist]

Grand Strategic Space Wargames

----------------------------------------------------
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Suter
United States
Orlando
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
starshadow wrote:
I would have to say Space Empires 4x with your roommate sounds like a great idea.


You are my roommate. ninja
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Suter
United States
Orlando
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:
I'm going to quote myself from another thread because that's always awesome:

----------------------------------------------------
Here's some suggestions for existing games:

Galactic Emperor
Ad Astra
Galaxy's Edge
Supernova

And there are a number of soon to be released or in-development titles that are also within the 4X genre.:

Eclipse (has quite a following!)
Hegemonic - a game I'm designing (in prototype/testing)
Omega Centauri
Space Empires: 4X

Lastly, check out the following GeekLists for some comprehensive listings:

The Ultimate 4X Games Geeklist - eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate: Games with an epic feel of gameplay

[geeklist=65738][/geeklist]

Grand Strategic Space Wargames

----------------------------------------------------


That is a list of things I haven't heard of yet. Thanks!

Also, I will gladly play test if you need someone to help!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gromguitar4 wrote:

That is a list of things I haven't heard of yet. Thanks!

Also, I will gladly play test if you need someone to help!


Sweet! I want to get a few more internal playtests done on Hegemonic and I will be looking for outside testors once I get some additional playtest kits assembled.

In the mean time if you are interested, feel free to head over to this thread on the Hegemonic forums. I recently posted rules and the action and technology cards for the community to review and provide and feedback on.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jacobs
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gromguitar4 wrote:
starshadow wrote:
I would have to say Space Empires 4x with your roommate sounds like a great idea.


You are my roommate. ninja


Mayyyybeeeee arrrh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Suter
United States
Orlando
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what I want: Firefly.

Someone know where I can get this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.