Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are following the Automod updates thread you'll already know this, but since not everybody is interested in automod, I thought it best to put this in its own thread since it will impact all games not just automod games.

In the process of giving auto-mod a few updated features, I realized that I needed to also give all the games a few of those updated features as well.

I'm currently in the process of updating these features so you may see hints at what they will be already even if they aren't yet fully implemented.

So here is a list for everyone's benefit.

Planned Updates:

Fully Implemented Updates:
1. Allow games to have start dates of "Starts When Full". These games will also be shown at the top of the sign-up list since the list is organized based on when a game will start.
2. Allow games to have lynches of off hour marks. Ie. at 1:30pm not 1pm.
3. Allow games to be classified as "Standard" or "Fast" speed games. This will allow you to either set Lynch and Night Action deadlines or Day and Night lengths. Fast games will be listed in a separate table on the front page from the standard games.

If you notice any glitches or bugs, please let me know. It is hard to test everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can now specify off hours for lynch and dusk times, and they are displayed both on the game page as well as the tables on the front page.

Enjoy this new freedom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh Captain! My Captain!
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good work! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. All the planned updates are now complete. You can now mark games as "Fast" games and then set a day length and a night length rather than a dawn/dusk time. These games will show up in a separate table on the front page above the standard tables. Hopefully this will greatly facilitate the "Fast Fiver" games you all love.

As before, if you notice any glitches/bugs please let me know so I can try to fix it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Era
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
A friend in need is a friend indeed
badge
An enemy in need is hilarious
mbmbmbmbmb
When I swapped the Speed option from 'standard' to 'fast' on the sign-up form, the Deadline drop-downs disappeared entirely with no options for setting day/night length appearing. When I changed it back to 'standard', the Deadlines box remained empty (the drop-downs didn't reappear).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperChutney wrote:
When I swapped the Speed option from 'standard' to 'fast' on the sign-up form, the Deadline drop-downs disappeared entirely with no options for setting day/night length appearing. When I changed it back to 'standard', the Deadlines box remained empty (the drop-downs didn't reappear).

Hmm... it worked for me. Set me as moderator of your game please so I can try it on your game specifically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
The Fast option worked perfectly for my game. Thanks! kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidenkinderen wrote:

I've got two ideas as to what the problem might be.

1) Supper, can you clear your browsers cache and try again. It is possible that your browser is storing the old javascript files and that is why it isn't working.

2) David, is your game brand new (created after my changes) or prior? It is possible that games created prior to my changes will have problems if they are switched to "Fast" while newly created games won't have that problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidenkinderen wrote:

ooohhh... your game just made me realize something... Fast games need a start TIME as well as a start Date. I'll look into adding that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
Melsana wrote:
davidenkinderen wrote:

I've got two ideas as to what the problem might be.

1) Supper, can you clear your browsers cache and try again. It is possible that your browser is storing the old javascript files and that is why it isn't working.

2) David, is your game brand new (created after my changes) or prior? It is possible that games created prior to my changes will have problems if they are switched to "Fast" while newly created games won't have that problem.

The game existed prior to the change. I use Firefox and everything worked smoothly. The cache is cleared automatically everytime I close my browser though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Era
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melsana wrote:

Cleared the cache and tried on another computer.

I use Internet Explorer -- even after clearing the cache, I had the same problem as before when trying to put a new game in sign up. I hadn't tried it last time, but taking an already created game and changing it from standard to fast worked perfectly fine.

Firefox and Chrome both work as well, so it's just IE and putting new games in sign-up. :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
Melsana wrote:

1) Supper, can you clear your browsers cache and try again.

I think it's clear from this that Melsana's a wolf. She's been very helpful to the village, but [vote Melsana] nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperChutney wrote:

Firefox and Chrome both work as well, so it's just IE and putting new games in sign-up. :/

Okay, thanks for that detail. IE is always a pain my coding but.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melsana wrote:
SuperChutney wrote:

Okay, thanks for that detail. IE is always a pain my coding but.

So yeah, the issue is that IE8 has a bug where javascript cannot change the visibility of an element back to visible (no problem hiding it though). ARGH.. that is a most basic use of javascript... stupid Microsoft... seriously can we just outlaw IE's use on Cassy.

Now to find a work around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to http://www.daniweb.com/web-development/javascript-dhtml-ajax... I found a solution. You should be able to get IE8 to work now.

Now, because I use this method rather frequently I wouldn't be surprised if you run into other issues in IE because of it. So just keep me posted cause now I know how to do this in a way that both firefox and IE like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melsana wrote:
davidenkinderen wrote:

ooohhh... your game just made me realize something... Fast games need a start TIME as well as a start Date. I'll look into adding that.

This has now been done. All the "Fast" games can also specify a start TIME since that is important for that type of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Era
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melsana wrote:
Thanks to http://www.daniweb.com/web-development/javascript-dhtml-ajax... I found a solution. You should be able to get IE8 to work now.

Now, because I use this method rather frequently I wouldn't be surprised if you run into other issues in IE because of it. So just keep me posted cause now I know how to do this in a way that both firefox and IE like.

Yep, it works now. Thank you for fixing it! I use IE most of the time, so it would be a pain having to swap browsers to use Cassie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Corrin
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
Traveller Werewolf - more games planned
badge
Still have werewolf games in sign-up.
mbmbmbmbmb

What is up with the confirm geekmail from the automod games, and can we generate this for normal games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorrin wrote:

What is up with the confirm geekmail from the automod games, and can we generate this for normal games?

Since cassy can't really tell if her game is garnering interest or if it should just be canceled the way a real person could... and the fact that her games also are usually start when full games, but like this one might take a while to fill. I have it set up so that once a week she verifies that a player is still interested in playing. If they don't confirm then they are removed from the play list. Also if a game gets no new sign-ups with in a week, I think she will also cancel a game under those conditions.

As for setting it up for modded games, the code would have to be modified, but it is something I could consider.

Do you think it would be better to have it be an automatic (weekly) type of thing the way it is with Auto-mod, or do you think just a button on the game page that the mod can press when they want to do a confirm would be better? Regardless it would be something the mod would have to turn on, cause we all know there are some games that are scheduled WAY in advanced and it would be kind of annoying to get confirmation e-mails from those games every week for months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Corrin
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
Traveller Werewolf - more games planned
badge
Still have werewolf games in sign-up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Melsana wrote:

As for setting it up for modded games, the code would have to be modified, but it is something I could consider.

Do you think it would be better to have it be an automatic (weekly) type of thing the way it is with Auto-mod, or do you think just a button on the game page that the mod can press when they want to do a confirm would be better? Regardless it would be something the mod would have to turn on, cause we all know there are some games that are scheduled WAY in advanced and it would be kind of annoying to get confirmation e-mails from those games every week for months.

I was hoping it would just need to be a quick re-use of the code.
Some games have people who sign-up well in advance and then aren't available when the game starts, causing a scrambling for replacements.

In place of having an over-subscribe (for alternates), a button that could be used to send out the reminder would be good, so that the mod could accurately measure the real interest the week before (if necessary - people who fill up a game within a few days for a "when full" game likely wouldn't need a reminder).

Actually for "when full" games perhaps this could be the default behaviour for all games, and be a as-needed option for the date specific games (or automated the week before it launches).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorrin wrote:
Melsana wrote:

I was hoping it would just need to be a quick re-use of the code.
Some games have people who sign-up well in advance and then aren't available when the game starts, causing a scrambling for replacements.

In place of having an over-subscribe (for alternates), a button that could be used to send out the reminder would be good, so that the mod could accurately measure the real interest the week before (if necessary - people who fill up a game within a few days for a "when full" game likely wouldn't need a reminder).

Actually for "when full" games perhaps this could be the default behaviour for all games, and be a as-needed option for the date specific games (or automated the week before it launches).

I'll let these ideas brew in my brain for a while. I'll probably work on updating the auto-mod code first, but in the process of doing that I could pull the code that does this out of the auto-mod code and make it more universal. I'm thinking of doing that for the part of the code that posts Dusk and Dawn for Auto-mod codes as well, so Moderators could set up Cassy to post the [Dawn] and [Dusk] posts right at the correct time. So this would just be another thing to add to the more "universal" bit of code.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
I changed "Everything you know is wrong" to SWF, but on my personal page in cassy it's still shown as starting on the 11th instead of when full. Also, for some reason it's no longer on the front page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:
I changed "Everything you know is wrong" to SWF, but on my personal page in cassy it's still shown as starting on the 11th instead of when full. Also, for some reason it's no longer on the front page.

ahh, yeah, didn't even think about that page... only thought about the front page... guess I should go change that too. Thanks.

As for why it isn't on the front page... hmmm... I'll have to look at that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melsana wrote:
twomillionbucks wrote:

ahh, yeah, didn't even think about that page... only thought about the front page... guess I should go change that too. Thanks.

As for why it isn't on the front page... hmmm... I'll have to look at that.

Okay, all should be good now. Cassy was filtering out your game based on the original start date listed, as it won't show games who's start dates are too long past (except auto-mod games). But now I made the SWF games bypass that filter since their start dates don't really matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.