Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this weekend and ran into a timing issue regarding the tariff event. This is the one where you had to pay $x per business depending on which period you were in.

The question came up as we entered period C on the same turn the tariff triggered. The text on the card stated 'at the start of the turn' so our question was do we pay period C costs and do we pay for 6 or 8 businesses (assuming you have your max)? We said C and 8 businesses, $48 down the drain. But did we do this correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the event triggered on Turn 11 I believe you did it correctly. The rules say Period changes are immediate, so as soon as Turn 11 started (before the Resolve Events step) you should have been in Period C.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But therein is the rub. Also part of a period change is retiring 2 businesses. If the event was a effect now sort, it would be C and 6 businesses. But since the event card had text of 'at the start of the turn' we weren't sure and went with the most painful choice. Pretty much killed my end game as I needed the extra cash to get into Montreal and had been squeezed out in prior turns due to events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You pay for 8 businesses because the retiring of the businesses doesn't happen until immediately before the card draft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Longtime Gamer
United States
Bellows Falls
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummer. Had to re-read the pathetic rules and FAQ to check this. We have played the card took effect after dumping the 2 businesses. Oh, well. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.