Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Quarriors!» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Teach me to use these dice! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played about 50-60 games of Quarriors over the past week. It is my wife's new favoritest game of all time. I love it. Yes it's luck and random, but it's short and sweet. It's tactile and brightly colored and just fun.

But after so many plays there are still a handful of cards I just can't ever see myself buying. But I've seen other posts where people talk about how cool they are. So teach me how to use these cards!

Note, this is not a discussion about overpoweredness or unbalanced creatures. There's plenty of other discussions here for that. I'm looking to discuss strategies and situations where these cards would be useful, or maybe a note that I'm right in thinking I'd never buy them.

So how do you use:

Strong Primordial Ooze
I just can't see buying him. Yes, he copies a creature. But what he'll have access to copying is pretty random. For a cost of 7 you get a random creature that someone else has in play. You don't have a choice, so if you're opponent has only assistants out you either don't summon this creature you paid 7 for, or you do and now you paid 7 for a 1/2 worth 1 glory. Yay!

I can see, maybe, picking this guy up only as a reactionary creature. If my opponent gets a bunch of Dragons, or Defenders, then maybe he'd be worth it. But for 7 you could just buy a Defender assuming there's one left. And there's no way to be sure that your opponent is going to have a dragon the same time you can copy it.

It just seems a little to hit/miss for me, especially as a first buy or something.

Primordial Ooze
An even more expensive Ooze. 8 cost for 2 glory seems such a bad return on investment that I wouldn't buy him regardless of his abilities. But his ability doesn't seem so great. The BEST he'll ever be in an 8/8. And that's only if none of your basics are in your bag, and you didn't cull any of those dice (which is usually a good idea). I can't see him ever usually being more than a 3/3 - 5/5. For 8 cost. Worth 2 glory. How do I use him?

Strong Questing Wizard
Yes, Wizard's got them some stats to back them up, so he's not a terrible buy regardless of his ability. But I just can't see this ability ever kicking in and being useful at all. Spells (we'll get to those in a bit) seem pretty underpowered. The spells have to already be out, and you have to CULL them out of your deck, permanently. Gone. For 1 glory? Doesn't it seem like you wouldn't buy it in the first place if it was only going to be worth 1 glory, ONE TIME?

MAYBE a combo with Strong Devotee of the Holy Query would get you 1 extra glory in a game? 2? Which brings me to:

_______ Devotee of the Holy Query
I've tried so many times to like these guys. And I can't make them work. 3 or 4 cost for 2 glory. No attack to speak of, at least late in the game. Powers that only activate 1/6th of the time. Powers that affect spells which I think have questionable uses.

They have OK defense I guess. Like a mini-Defender. But I'd be hard pressed to not find another 3 or 4 cost out I'd rather buy than these guys.

Shaping Charm
I've seen some posts of people who like this. I can't ever imagine getting it, and the games I've tried to get it to work just fail. The game just seems to random to have it go off enough times to be worth it. Anyone been able to get good use out of it?

In fact, Shaping Incantation is the only pink spell I could ever see using. And even that's iffy since it's an attachment

Victory Incantation
I've tried so hard to pull this die off. 9 is expensive. And a 3 glory hit ain't bad, but only on 2 sides (albeit with on side having a reroll). If you had all 5 of these in your bag, I can see you keeping up with creature strategies, but that just isn't going to happen before you lose. And if you had that 9, you should have bought a Dragon or a Wizard.

Anyone getting use out of this?

Well, those are the big ones. A lot of the others have pretty good uses situationally, or all the time. The blue spells I'm all a bit iffy on, but in my 50+ games I haven't really tried many strategies with them yet, so I'll have to wait to see.

Yes, it's a totally random game and trying to strategerize too awful hard is a bad idea. I get that, and it's one of the reasons I like Quarriors so much after spending much time lately playing wargames or taking statistics exams.

So how do you use these dice? Or do you? What dice have you not been able to make work yourself?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, shaping charm seems to want to be out with a creature who has a good * ability on its higher level. Like one of the wizards or the dragon maybe?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you on the iffiness of the Ooze class in general. Maybe if they cost 5 or 6 they'd be more attractive. But the 8 cost one you mentioned, your best strategy is to clog your bag with other players' discarded quiddity dice.

Also the Holy Query guy that ignores attached spells is highly limited in use as well. There's only one(?) per spell class that is classified as an attachment, whereas most of the life spells would be good to ignore.

I'd also be interested in hearing other people's strategies regarding the ones you mentioned.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:

Strong Primordial Ooze
I just can't see buying him. Yes, he copies a creature. But what he'll have access to copying is pretty random. For a cost of 7 you get a random creature that someone else has in play. You don't have a choice, so if you're opponent has only assistants out you either don't summon this creature you paid 7 for, or you do and now you paid 7 for a 1/2 worth 1 glory. Yay!

I can see, maybe, picking this guy up only as a reactionary creature. If my opponent gets a bunch of Dragons, or Defenders, then maybe he'd be worth it. But for 7 you could just buy a Defender assuming there's one left. And there's no way to be sure that your opponent is going to have a dragon the same time you can copy it.

It just seems a little to hit/miss for me, especially as a first buy or something.


This guy is far better than you are giving him credit for. I had the same initial reaction thinking, well he is only really good if something else good hits the table. The fact is though that something else good most likely WILL hit the table, especially in a 4 player game. Yes if only assistants are out he will be an assistant, but you get to change him once per each players turn so the moment they summon something better you change him. Offensivly and defensivly this guy can be pretty versatile as all three sides do the same effect yet ever other creature needs to roll well to get their best side. When they do you get it too! This is a big bonus since if your opponent buys a dragon for example and you do as well there is no guarantee that when they roll a level 2 or 3 side you won't roll a level 1 side.

Quote:
Primordial Ooze
An even more expensive Ooze. 8 cost for 2 glory seems such a bad return on investment that I wouldn't buy him regardless of his abilities. But his ability doesn't seem so great. The BEST he'll ever be in an 8/8. And that's only if none of your basics are in your bag, and you didn't cull any of those dice (which is usually a good idea). I can't see him ever usually being more than a 3/3 - 5/5. For 8 cost. Worth 2 glory. How do I use him?


This one I'm not usually crazy about. If there are no other big creatures and you are not culling your basic quiddity he can be regularly decent. I think this is simply a rare buy overall.

Quote:
Strong Questing Wizard
Yes, Wizard's got them some stats to back them up, so he's not a terrible buy regardless of his ability. But I just can't see this ability ever kicking in and being useful at all. Spells (we'll get to those in a bit) seem pretty underpowered. The spells have to already be out, and you have to CULL them out of your deck, permanently. Gone. For 1 glory? Doesn't it seem like you wouldn't buy it in the first place if it was only going to be worth 1 glory, ONE TIME?


It is his basic stats that make him worth while. I would say his ability really will only be used late game when you are a few spaces away from victory. Not useless just really limited on when it will come into play.

Quote:
_______ Devotee of the Holy Query
I've tried so many times to like these guys. And I can't make them work. 3 or 4 cost for 2 glory. No attack to speak of, at least late in the game. Powers that only activate 1/6th of the time. Powers that affect spells which I think have questionable uses.

They have OK defense I guess. Like a mini-Defender. But I'd be hard pressed to not find another 3 or 4 cost out I'd rather buy than these guys.


I agree. At first glance I though I would love these guys. After a bunch of plays they see the table less than goblins. I think a future one needs a new ability that does NOT require the *, like when you score this creature your next purchase of 4 or less gives you 2 of the same dice if available. Something to make it a worthwhile purchase or at least one that you could develop a strategy around.

Quote:
Shaping Charm
I've seen some posts of people who like this. I can't ever imagine getting it, and the games I've tried to get it to work just fail. The game just seems to random to have it go off enough times to be worth it. Anyone been able to get good use out of it?

In fact, Shaping Incantation is the only pink spell I could ever see using. And even that's iffy since it's an attachment


You do realize that you don't have to cast this spell right away when you ready it right? The dice itself has some really good alternative sides as well. That being said more often than not I pass on this specific spell as well. There are enough creatures that it does not effect that its uses are really dependant on your current 'deck'.

Quote:
Victory Incantation
I've tried so hard to pull this die off. 9 is expensive. And a 3 glory hit ain't bad, but only on 2 sides (albeit with on side having a reroll). If you had all 5 of these in your bag, I can see you keeping up with creature strategies, but that just isn't going to happen before you lose. And if you had that 9, you should have bought a Dragon or a Wizard.

Anyone getting use out of this?


Auto 3 glory is super powerful, especially in 4 player games when it is much harder to keep creatures up. I don't know if I would always buy a wizard over this spell, it would depends which wizard I suppose. Dragons would take priority more often than not though. Depending how the game is flowing there have been times I chose this though. If you and your opponent are neck in neck and near the end this is a more direct way to get those last few points you need.

Quote:
Well, those are the big ones. A lot of the others have pretty good uses situationally, or all the time. The blue spells I'm all a bit iffy on, but in my 50+ games I haven't really tried many strategies with them yet, so I'll have to wait to see.


The main point of the game is too get glory. You get glory primarily by keeping creatures alive. Many spells keep your guys alive AND let you choose when to use them. That gives you some control over the flow of the game which is a great thing in a game like this. You have to choose when and how many to buy carefully though as misuse can do more harm then good. 4 player games are also quite different from 2 player games and what may be a smart purchase in 4 players may be less so with 2.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirenx wrote:
This guy is far better than you are giving him credit for.


I'm sure that's the case on many of these!

Quote:
I had the same initial reaction thinking, well he is only really good if something else good hits the table. The fact is though that something else good most likely WILL hit the table, especially in a 4 player game.


I see your points. Maybe in a 4-player he'd be worth it, and 2-player I'd say a big "pass." Any word on if you can copy a high glory creature at the beginning of your turn right before he scores? I'll play with him some more in 4-player games.

Quote:
It is his basic stats that make him worth while. I would say his ability really will only be used late game when you are a few spaces away from victory. Not useless just really limited on when it will come into play.


Yeah. If you're running a handful of spells than I can see a late game dogpile to cross the line, but that's about it. Obviously, his stats are great so he's good just for those.

Quote:
You do realize that you don't have to cast this spell right away when you ready it right? The dice itself has some really good alternative sides as well. That being said more often than not I pass on this specific spell as well. There are enough creatures that it does not effect that its uses are really dependant on your current 'deck'.


Yep! Usually when I buy it just sits there the times it comes up. It might give you a couple extra attack or defense by leveling up a guy, but definitely not comparable to a Death spell or another creature.

Quote:
Auto 3 glory is super powerful, especially in 4 player games when it is much harder to keep creatures up. I don't know if I would always buy a wizard over this spell, it would depends which wizard I suppose. Dragons would take priority more often than not though. Depending how the game is flowing there have been times I chose this though. If you and your opponent are neck in neck and near the end this is a more direct way to get those last few points you need.


I'll have to keep trying it!

Quote:
4 player games are also quite different from 2 player games and what may be a smart purchase in 4 players may be less so with 2.


I think this is huge. I've played with 2, 3, and 4 players, and it's very true that what's good in one game my be pretty crap in another.

Thanks for the tips!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lambert
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with pretty much everything that Kiren Maelwulf said above.

The only thing I would like to add is that an oft-overlooked attribute of the Wizard is the portal ability on the 1 quid side. On every other creature die, when you roll 1 quid it is a major bummer, but with the Wizard you get to pull out another die. This effectively means the Wizard has no "useless" side.

I'm not saying I would buy a Wizard over a Dragon, but it is a very strong die overall.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:

I see your points. Maybe in a 4-player he'd be worth it, and 2-player I'd say a big "pass." Any word on if you can copy a high glory creature at the beginning of your turn right before he scores? I'll play with him some more in 4-player games.


The way scoring happens is that it occurs at the begining of your turn and the creature is removed from play. Thusly I am fairly certain you would NOT have a in play creature to change before scoring occurs, the same logic I believe would prevent attaching Victory Cantrip directly before scoring rather than before you pass your turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Styro wrote:
I agree with pretty much everything that Kiren Maelwulf said above.

The only thing I would like to add is that an oft-overlooked attribute of the Wizard is the portal ability on the 1 quid side. On every other creature die, when you roll 1 quid it is a major bummer, but with the Wizard you get to pull out another die. This effectively means the Wizard has no "useless" side.

I'm not saying I would buy a Wizard over a Dragon, but it is a very strong die overall.


I have actually purchased a Mighty Questing Wizard over a dragon before as its ability opens up more purchase opportunities as the game progress's. Of course that depends how far along the game is when the chance to buy either first comes up. In general though I find alternative sides is an important consideration with most dice. It's actually one of the few things I like about the current Devotees is that they have 4 creature sides, more often than not though for that particular creature it still isn't enough.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:
_______ Devotee of the Holy Query
I've tried so many times to like these guys. And I can't make them work. 3 or 4 cost for 2 glory. No attack to speak of, at least late in the game. Powers that only activate 1/6th of the time. Powers that affect spells which I think have questionable uses.


One of the key strengths of this dice is that it has 4 faces that summon the creature rather than just the three other dice have. So if your strategy is around churning out as many creatures as possible this is clearly a very strong option.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anh Khoa Nguyen
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Strong Primodial Ooze
It can be handy if you know when to use it. First, if there is no other creatures, you get yourself a 5 Defense creature, not too shabby. Second, all Ooze are level 2 creature and thus granted resistance againts the Quake Dragon "kill all level 1" which is very very dangerous. Third, you can shape-changing every other player turn, which means you can usually be the best creature there is, and it copies not only the stats, but also the special ability of that creature. Situational ? Of course. But handy ? Sure it is. And one thing about all the Ooze is, IMHO, they're fun to play ^^

Primodial Ooze
One of the funniest creature in the game. The way we use them is very simple : buy a lot of Portal, and cull your Assistant ASAP. You can almost be sure to get at least 5-6 Attack & Defense every time it comes out. And one more thing to do : buy back Quiddity dice that other people culled. Bought die go to the used pile, so you can power up Ooze in the same turn that you bought Quiddity dice. And with Portal you can control the dice bag : not enough dice to draw in the bag ? Then don't use Portal, and beside if that's the case then you've already nearly maxed out your Ooze potential.

Quake Dragons should learn to fear these insanely (fun) creatures ^^

Strong Questing Wizard
The ability to cull spell dice for points is for a sudden buble victory, the way I see it. It's not very powerful or easy to use, sure, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have potential. And beside, buying lots of spell mean you can generally have more money and be more powerful, until the time come when you just need that tiny 1 or 2 more points to win...

Devotee of the Holy Query
Like someone already mentioned, they have 4 creature faces, which is very handy when you just need to summon even one more creature to cast a group spell or to defense yourself. The problem with it is its ability are powerful and useful, but only one side got it. Its full potential can be reached if Shaping Charm is in the game. You can use Shaping Charm to rotate it from level 1 to the Burst-side level 2 and have its ability, instead of the normal level 2.

Mostly we used it for human wave tactics, with Strong Warriors or Strong Goblin, Death Cantrip, etc

Shaping Charm
Very powerful, because you can save it for when you need it. Warriors, Death Dealer and Wiching Hag are all very powerful at level 2. And you can you it with Devotee of the Holy Query, as I have mentioned above. Also, it level up all creature you have in the ready area. Combine with powerful creature such as Questing Wizard, Defender or Quake Dragon for extreme usefulness. I have one time won the game by using it to level up all 2 Defenders and 1 Questing Wizard from level 1 to level 3 (with one Shaping Charm readied from early turns, and one Shaping Charm just rolled).

Victory Incantation
In our group, there's a saying "Nothing can be summoned can't be destroyed". And as such even Quake Dragon, Defender level 3, Questing Wizard can all be "ashes to ashes". But with Victory Incantation, 3 sweet VP right off the bat. You only need it to kick in 2 ot 3 times and that's enough for you to win the game. And you should remember, beside the "only 2 side" of spell, it got 1 reroll side as well. So the probability isn't that bad.

There's two games we have played that a player never summoned a single creature and instead just keep buying Growth Charm and portal to help him buy Victory Incantation. While the other players are busy battling each others with Dragons, Deathdealer, etc he manage to get 3 Victory Incantation and won the game with only VP from casting them.


These are my experience after plenty of games within my group, hope they were of some help to you
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Durden
msg tools
Shuichi Niwa wrote:
Primodial Ooze
Quake Dragons should learn to fear these insanely (fun) creatures ^^

Unless its a Strong Quake Dragon...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Any word on if you can copy a high glory creature at the beginning of your turn right before he scores? I'll play with him some more in 4-player games.


I'm fairly certain he scores 2 glory regardless of the card he copies. He gets all the text, the level, the attack, defense, but not the glory... Could be wrong, but I do NOT think that copying an assistant relegates you to one glory, and likewise copying a dragon/overlord gets you 4-5 glory. It is just 2 regardless, otherwise there would be an asterisk on the upper right of the card. "* Glory" with clarification below.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sponkey21 wrote:
Quote:
Any word on if you can copy a high glory creature at the beginning of your turn right before he scores? I'll play with him some more in 4-player games.


I'm fairly certain he scores 2 glory regardless of the card he copies. He gets all the text, the level, the attack, defense, but not the glory... Could be wrong, but I do NOT think that copying an assistant relegates you to one glory, and likewise copying a dragon/overlord gets you 4-5 glory. It is just 2 regardless, otherwise there would be an asterisk on the upper right of the card. "* Glory" with clarification below.


Actually this was clarified a while ago and the ooze does copy the glory as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Nesci
Italy
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The iOS app DOES let you change them right before scoring and yes, the glory value is copied as well
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.