Subject: Leicester Monthly Board and card game event rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I'm trying to restart an event I used to run (in Aylestone, Leicester) to make sure I broke out the board and card games at least every once in a while. Its organised through the eastmidlandsroleplayers.com group where I'm also a member so it is fair to expect many of the people who are there to be primarily roleplayers who like a bit of boardgaming now and then. The whole event is pretty casual and always used to be a lot of fun. Hopefully it will be once more. There is an FAQ:

http://www.eastmidlandsroleplayers.com/tiki/tiki-index.php?p...

which admittedly needs updating. At present the even is on the 4th Sunday of each month with the first one being in October. That may change to Saturday instead if it'll up attendance. I'll give Sundays a chance first.

I've put some extra details about it up here. If you want to know more drop me a line and I'll fill in the details likewise if you are thinking of coming along I'd appreciate a heads up so I know to look out for new folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catty_ big
United Kingdom
London (sort of)
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi zom

4th Sun in Oct will be problematic for board and cardgamers as it falls during Essen, the biggest event in a board/cardie's calendar. Could you just this once hold it on the 5th Sunday?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate your concern but I think the "clash" won't effect things too much at my end. Certainly in the past I don't think most folks who were showing up were even aware of Essen much less likely to attend. But we'll see - if the November session is filled to capacity with people who were at Essen the month before I'd be quite happy to eat my words. Hopefully after having played some several of the games they aquired at the show
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catty_ big
United Kingdom
London (sort of)
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess if most of your members are RPers then they probably won't be going to Essen anyway. And it's virtually impossible to schedule an event without it clashing with some other one.

I'll try to make your November meet. I really like Leicester and I don't often pass up an opportunity to visit, e.g. ManorCon and Continuum amongst others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, I'll look forward to meeting you. I'm hoping it grows into being a bit of a mini convention almost. The present venue can support probably 3-4 big games happening at once and it'd be great if the numbers were there for that happen regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shameless reminder time, this is happening and next weekend at that (23rd October 2011). That is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another shameless reminder, the next one is only a week away on Sunday the 27th November. Last time only 2 people showed up one of whom was me - which given the dozen or so maybes I had was a disappointment tp say the least. If there isn't a stronger turnout this time it'll probably be the last one. A bit sad but I'm getting a regular board game fix elsewhere so I'll cope if that happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catty_ big
United Kingdom
London (sort of)
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've posted about this on the Leicester Sabres* forum, let's see if anyone bites (other than Twighlight fans, obviously).

*Leicester Uni's gamesoc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catty_ big
United Kingdom
London (sort of)
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi zom

Here's your problem:
http://gamesocforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&b...

Fixable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up. I used to get plenty of folks (back in the day.....) and I'm pretty certain there was never anyone from that games club coming back then. Having it on Sunday was an experiment so I'm not against moving it, but I'd probably move it to the Saturday on the same weekend as it traditionally used to be and I suspect, but could of course be proven wrong, the game soc folks would look at two gaming events at the same weekend and only do one and I'd expect it to be their own.

If I move it forward a week it'd be kind of close the eastmidlandsroleplayers other monthly meet that happens on the second Saturday so I'd be hesitant to do that.

At any rate this months event will stay where it is and I'll see how that goes. The December one won't happen because of dates and other bookings. But I might well give it another chance in the new year and change the day to Saturday for a January session and see what difference that may make.

I think I may have sabotaged the event somewhat by having a weekly game night for my circle of friends in the area. I'm more than happy to do both of course but they are perhaps not quite as enthusiastic as I on the matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catty_ big
United Kingdom
London (sort of)
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. January/February I probably wouldn't be able to make it but March might be possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well after several months of a total lack of interest I've called this to a close. Might try again one day if ever there is enough interest but it seems there are a myriad of such board game events that go on around the area and no one is much interested in cross pollination as it were. So long as folks are playing games its all good.

I can still thoroughly recommend a trip to the pub we were using though - real ale and good quality reasonably priced food make it a pleasant place to shoot the breeze with friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.