Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like the game page social networking widget is changed. Instead of just facebook and +1 you can now share with various social networking sites?

The google "bookmark" one doesn't seem that useful though vs. +1/Google plus?

Was there any announcement regarding this change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Not that I know of, but then again I don't pay that much attention to the social networking side of the site. In fact, I block their trackers with the Ghostery Firefox add on. The average game page has trackers for: Google Adsense, Google Analytics, Amazon Associates, eBay Stats, Facebook Social Plugins and Quantcast (Quantcast provides real-time detailed audience profiles for advertisers to buy, sell, connect and learn more about what consumers are doing online.)

Come to your own conclusions and make your own decisions, but helpful to BGG or not, I find such features at best, nothing more than bloat that impairs my browsing experience and at worst, intrusive data mining. Just because it might generate a useful advertisement from time to time doesn't mean I relish complete strangers invading my privacy.

Then again, you didn't ask for my opinion and your might differ, so feel free to summarily dismiss the paranoid freak with the tinfoil hat. (Me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Analytics is not what I'm talking about here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.