Subject: Do Justice to the Elves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
As happy as I am to see another expansion announced, I am getting a bit worried about the lack of Elves as heroes in this game. After the deluxe set, we shall have seen 5 Dwarves already as opposed to 1 Silvan and 1 Noldor (or a max of two more in total with 2 heroes from the Mirkwood cycle still unknown - to me and some).

5 dwarves is great for a dwarven deck for which you can drop two and still get it. I would like to see not only an elven deck which is still impossible now but a Noldor and Silvan deck. Do others think there is a chance for more elves in the Dwarrowdelf cycle? And is it known if Celeborn and/or other elf is coming in Emyn Muil and the Return to Mirkwood?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say give it time. There is no way FFG is going to leave elves out of a LotR universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect at some point you will see a big box expansion for elves, and Rohan, and Gondor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottandkimr wrote:
I expect at some point you will see a big box expansion for elves, and Rohan, and Gondor.

Exactly this. The only thing we can speculate about is which order they will appear... Maybe we can figure it out geographically. Right now we're moving from Mirkwood to Moria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Fed
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goodfriend

Berwyn
Illinois
msg tools
mb
It wouldn't be my first choice, but maybe Lorien is next.

(My first choice would be Moria...sweet for me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
No G&R in Middle-earth, please!

I do see though that my post is a bit silly. It is a bit interesting though that elves have been given so few heroes so far compared to Men and Dwarves. It can very easily change, I know, I just felt like writing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hidahl
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elves are a bit laissez-faire in this age of Middle Earth, mind you, and that goes for those who haven't already sailed off to the Undying Lands. However, I still almost expect FFG to capitalize on their popularity somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
jpraibis wrote:

I do see though that my post is a bit silly. It is a bit interesting though that elves have been given so few heroes so far compared to Men and Dwarves. It can very easily change, I know, I just felt like writing it.

No, I totally agree. As excited as I am for the Khazad-dum expansion, a little part of me was disapointed that it wasn't an elf-focused expansion. They're way cooler than dwarves! I guess it's better to start with an area you're not as interested in and then they'll get more and more interesting! I'm sure they'll still slip in a few elf characters along the way through Moria.
We know there's some kind of elf character coming soon because of that picture of the female elf that was on the add for Dead Marshes (see Dead Marshes expansion images gallery here on BGG). So that's exciting and early on they had Celeborn as a hero so that could be coming. Also we don't know who the hero is going to be for Emyn Muil so there's a possibility that it could be an elf.

Keep looking on the bright side elf-friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Fed
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpraibis wrote:

No G&R anywhere.

I am sure they will even it out. It should be encouraging that they split the elf trait into Noldor and Silvan. I am sure they will capitalize on all of it in time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
narsil0420 wrote:
jpraibis wrote:

No, I totally agree. As excited as I am for the Khazad-dum expansion, a little part of me was disapointed that it wasn't an elf-focused expansion. They're way cooler than dwarves! I guess it's better to start with an area you're not as interested in and then they'll get more and more interesting! I'm sure they'll still slip in a few elf characters along the way through Moria.
We know there's some kind of elf character coming soon because of that picture of the female elf that was on the add for Dead Marshes (see Dead Marshes expansion images gallery here on BGG). So that's exciting and early on they had Celeborn as a hero so that could be coming. Also we don't know who the hero is going to be for Emyn Muil so there's a possibility that it could be an elf.

Keep looking on the bright side elf-friend.

I, in general, am just bias about elves. Everything elven seems super exciting. That said, I do love the dwarven culture too. But less the "warmongering" aspect of it represented by Gimli card in this game, if you know what I mean. I really like Longbeard Map-maker for instance, or even Erebor Hammersmith. The new miner card (the Spirit one if I remember well) also seems interesting.

And it is true that if one is excited about elves, the pleasure shall be even greater when their expansion arrives. I am also encouraged by the fact that the trait was split into Silvan and Noldor. Do you think there may come another even? Like Half-elven or Teleri? I think not but who knows.

As for the other part of my initial thread, has anyone here seen the preview of the Celeborn card? I heard he shall represent the Spirit sphere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'll try to find the picture of Celeborn.

EDIT: Here's the only picture I could find.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/844474/the-lord-of-the-ri...

You can just barely see him. However, now that I look at it again, I'm thinking that his stats were the same as Glorfindel and that he just basically turned into Glorfindel just like Thorin turned into Gloin. I can't see the text clearly enough to tell for sure. Celeborn will come out sometime, for sure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
narsil0420 wrote:

Oh, please do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Różycki
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottandkimr wrote:

Undoubtedly, but I'am thinking that in Shadows of Mirkwood comes at least one elven hero. I count on King Thranduil in Return to Mirkwood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
narsil0420 wrote:

EDIT: Here's the only picture I could find.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/844474/the-lord-of-the-ri...

You can just barely see him. However, now that I look at it again, I'm thinking that his stats were the same as Glorfindel and that he just basically turned into Glorfindel just like Thorin turned into Gloin. I can't see the text clearly enough to tell for sure. Celeborn will come out sometime, for sure...

Thanks. Interesting.

And yes, Thranduil for the Return to Mirkwood sounds more than reasonable. But what of the sphere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Różycki
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpraibis wrote:
And yes, Thranduil for the Return to Mirkwood sounds more than reasonable. But what of the sphere?

A few possibilities: Leadership because he was a Elvenking, Tactics because he fought in Battle of Five Armies or Lore because probably he was a member of White Council.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
I want Arwen so I can build a deck with Aragorn and Eowyn... blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bullroarer Took wrote:
I want Arwen so I can build a deck with Aragorn and Eowyn... blush

Shameful, indeed.

I feel like that when I put Glorfindel, Eleanor and Legolas together. Quite a threesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Fuqua
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With how many people love elves, I would think that FFG would balance out the number of heroes with them as to the dwarfs. It may nit happen by the end of the year but maybe by the end of 2012 Q1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.