Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why I'm holding off on this one. The solo option is appealing, but I'll be curious to hear what you think about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from the theme and board/components upgrade, what enticed me to get this and get rid of SHDA is order cards. In SHDA, it's weird teaching the game since you know everybody's cards and what they do, and you have to stop using the knowledge to boss them around in order for everybody to have fun. In GoW, you have several cards in hand that do a bunch of different things, leaving each player to do his own thing. I still call out "Anybody got Teamwork?" or "can you move + attack?" sometimes, but it's a lot less bossy than "You Guard, you Attack and use your special ability, you change facing just in case."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't the same guy design both SHDA and GoW? That would certainly explain the similarities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus both a pretty cool games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love both games and they fill a different niche, but I fail to see almost any similarity whatsoever. This isn't the first thread comparing the two, and when the other popped up before I owned GoW (but thoroughly went through the rules) I didn't comment, even though then I couldn't see any similarity.

To each their own, but the only similarities I see are; both coop, both fighting aliens, both use dice for combat and absoluely everything else is way different.

I could never recommend to a friend, "oh you like Death Angel, you must buy GoW" or vice versa. ... I guess I just don't get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:
Is it just me or does this game feel an awful lot like Space Hulk- Death Angel?

Yes: quick turns/decisions, intuitive gameplay, careful coordination between players can yield huge results, the enemy is always moving and changing (in ways that seem devilishly complex despite using simple rules, but occasionally doing something stupid or even helpful), and once things start going bad they can get really bad. That last part is what makes it feel similar to me. The "general" events can also be very devastating and sad, which reminds me a lot of SHDA; I keep trying to change my COG's facing

However, it is not the same game. It is much bigger and has way more viable choices (usually in SHDA there is one or two right choices to make in a turn). The choice for over-kill attack or not is a medium-ish decision that can build up to have dramatic effects later. Winning with one last kill using your chainsaw because you have no ammo left is a great feeling.

I will say it seems much, much easier than SHDA, though. I've lost one solo game, won another on the first mission, and won mission 1 and 2 with two players. In mission one we came close, but in mission 2 we rolled through it. Part of me is hoping this is just beginner's luck, but we'll see. It'll also be fun to play harder missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Marx
United States
Tarpon Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Is it just me or does this game feel an awful lot like Space Hulk- Death Angel?

I started having this feeling about half way through our first game. I feel like the discussions between the players are similar. This was a great thing for me because I really enjoy SHDA.

I wouldn't want SHDA to be any less punishing (it wouldn't feel like Space Hulk), but I enjoy the mildly enlarged options that GoW gives.

Two great games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I had my first play yesterday, a quick solo run on Emergence just to try it out, and actually it didn't feel like SHDA at all. Granted, part was surely because here you can really play with just one character (opposed to controlling at least three teams in SHDA), but I got a really different vibe, with GOW I really felt immersed in the combat, and the decisions seemed to be less costrained.

As BagpipeDan said, in SHDA you really don't have that many right choices if you want to survive, and most of the times it feels more like a very hard abstract puzzle with a combat theme attached (I'm not saying it's bad, mind you).

Here the flow is just not the same, at least playing solo. Tonight I'll try it coop, we'll see how it feels...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.