Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
V. Romero
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know many of you have been waiting for this day. For those of you that use CoolStuffInc (like me), they just opened their pre-order window, and it looks to release in December of this year: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_boardGame.php?viewType=view....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. $58 is a great price! Get it if you need it!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice....I'm probably not going to order from CSI, but it's good to know War of the Ring is making a comeback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
Some people think the first edition was broken without the expansion.

Unless those people were expanding the definition of "broken" beyond the point of usefulness, that belief is nonsense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Marvosh
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:

The first edition was broken only for people who don't like having awesome fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilcoxon
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drinkdrawers wrote:
red black wrote:

The first edition was broken only for people who don't like having awesome fun.

Have some avatar love

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Publisher was previously stating that 2nd edition would include the updated card text and expansion guys would inherently be in the game. Guess we'll see if that's still true. Though I guess if someone knows the plastic figure count we could figure this out eh? Argh, 205 figures vs. 204. Expansion guys are not included

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miceli
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Dead Man's Doubloons
mbmbmbmbmb
There was talk of an "upgrade" for existing v1 owners. Any new news about that? Not sure if that's no longer going to be the case with FFG not being the publisher this time around...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
KakarisMaelstrom wrote:
Publisher was previously stating that 2nd edition would include the updated card text and expansion guys would inherently be in the game. Guess we'll see if that's still true. Though I guess if someone knows the plastic figure count we could figure this out eh? Argh, 205 figures vs. 204. Expansion guys are not included

The expansion parts were never to be a part of the revised edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renato Bruno
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonmiceli wrote:
There was talk of an "upgrade" for existing v1 owners. Any new news about that? Not sure if that's no longer going to be the case with FFG not being the publisher this time around...

I've seen an upgrade which has a set of cards in a tin here http://www.milsims.com.au/node/121019
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
We wants it! googoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne O'Keeffe
Ireland
Sligo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
KakarisMaelstrom wrote:

I also remember reading that the revised edition was the "full" game, main game + expansions in 1 package.

Re edit: Ah, expansions not included. Rule tweaks and bigger board I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
KakarisMaelstrom wrote:

cybernex wrote:
The revised edition of WOTR will not include the expansion components.

We definitely plan to expand it in the future, with the strategic components from Battles of The Third Age, plus additional new components, most likely with a single expansion box. However we're not ready to announce this in detail at this stage.

Woops, I guess you were right. I read this backwards before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne O'Keeffe
Ireland
Sligo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
romevi86 wrote:
I know many of you have been waiting for this day. For those of you that use CoolStuffInc (like me), they just opened their pre-order window, and it looks to release in December of this year: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_boardGame.php?viewType=view....

Is there a preorder direct from the publisher for Europe? Are Asmodee making it for Europe (English ed.) or are they just doing the French version? I'd like to order it but would also like to keep shipping cost down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Slaunwhite
Canada
Middle Sackville
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the board the same size as the original?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as the expansion is released separately, it won't be a big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I remembered was they were talking about releasing the expansion guys for War of the Ring but without all the overhead of the additional battle scenarios or whatever. Or at least that's how I interpreted it. It felt kind of silly having 2 battles I'd never play when I was really just after the ents, corsairs, wildmen, and extra characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too had thought the new edition would have the expansion parts to add to the base game and skip the tactical battles stuff. I am guessing by not including the expansion stuff at all they were able to keep the price point down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rewslaun wrote:
Is the board the same size as the original?

The preorder site at CoolStuff says the board is 100cm x 70cm, which is the same size as the original board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KakarisMaelstrom wrote:
What I remembered was they were talking about releasing the expansion guys for War of the Ring but without all the overhead of the additional battle scenarios or whatever. Or at least that's how I interpreted it.

A lot of people were asking for that, but Roberto never said it was going to happen. On the contrary, per the quote you cited above, the 2nd edition was described as having the same component set as the 1st edition, but with various elements upgraded (figures in unique colors by nation, bigger cards, improved rules, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
KakarisMaelstrom wrote:
What I remembered was they were talking about releasing the expansion guys for War of the Ring but without all the overhead of the additional battle scenarios or whatever. Or at least that's how I interpreted it.

A lot of people were asking for that, but Roberto never said it was going to happen. On the contrary, per the quote you cited above, the 2nd edition was described as having the same component set as the 1st edition, but with various elements upgraded (figures in unique colors by nation, bigger cards, improved rules, etc.)

Yeah, the official line at that point was:

shager wrote:

Roberto:

Thank you for taking the time to bring us up to date with this information. I can assure you that this news has been long awaited by the WotR crowd. I hate to pick your brain, but I have to ask one question.

When you say

cybernex wrote:
We definitley plan to expand it in the future with the strategic components from Battles of The Third Age

you do mean Galadriel/Hunting Witch King/Ents/Corsairs/Smeagol/Dunlendings?

cybernex wrote:
Yes, exactly.
Plus Siege Engines, of course.
And possibly more!

Sphere, you're right again. I just looked through his history and these are the only posts on the subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoelCFC25 wrote:
red black wrote:

Unless those people were expanding the definition of "broken" beyond the point of usefulness, that belief is nonsense.

the expansion is "broken" to the degree that the "its only an opinion" defence dies with it. The concept is silly, as the better something is, the harder it is to modify successfully. And WotR is the best we've got.

I've always felt the difficulty of claiming the unpolluted game is "unbalanced" founders on the similarity of the percentages that describe the maximum win rate reported by Geeks and the balance originally desired by the designers, namely 70-30. You rarely get this type of congruence, which perhaps is the reason it isn't believed, even seven years down the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the expansion does is add more variety and fun to the base game. There may be a slight edge to shadow without the base game but only when players use classical openings and strtegies IMO. For me i just prefer to have the expansion so it looks more complete as a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
KakarisMaelstrom wrote:

This was all that mattered to me.

Awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran McCann
United Kingdom
Belfast
Nothern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aforandy wrote:
JoelCFC25 wrote:
red black wrote:

the expansion is "broken" to the degree that the "its only an opinion" defence dies with it. The concept is silly, as the better something is, the harder it is to modify successfully. And WotR is the best we've got.

I've always felt the difficulty of claiming the unpolluted game is "unbalanced" founders on the similarity of the percentages that describe the maximum win rate reported by Geeks and the balance originally desired by the designers, namely 70-30. You rarely get this type of congruence, which perhaps is the reason it isn't believed, even seven years down the line.

JESUS!!!!

Scottish name, English wee flaggy thingy but speaks Greek surprise

Man. I never have a clue what you mean in those words you type!!!
OK I get this sort of (still don't understand you're 1st sentence) but I needed to re-read it, slowly, 5 - 6 times surprise
Not a complaint, just most people don't speak like that!!!
Quite interesting
All the hairy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.