Merchants & Marauders» Forums » Rules

Subject: Selling Frigate to Win? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Clarke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible on the last turn to sail into your home port, sell your frigate and then stash the gold from selling the ship to win the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules specify you must buy a new ship when selling your old one. In other words, you can profit enough by that little scam to buy a couple of glory points, but then again, your buddies may well head-slap you afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
The rules specify you must buy a new ship when selling your old one. In other words, you can profit enough by that little scam to buy a couple of glory points, but then again, your buddies may well head-slap you afterwards.
Since the sell price of a Frigate is the same as the buy price for the Sloop/Flute you can't really make any profit from the ship itself, but if you had a bunch of upgrades you could make a little bit of extra from those. That might be enough to gain an extra glory point when combined with the rest of your gold and/or help with the tiebreaker, but otherwise it's probably not worth the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd forgotten the exact numbers, but I knew you couldn't make much. There are a lot of little elements like that in M&M, where what appear to be possible loopholes are, on closer inspection, already handled, and handled well. All the time Christian put into playtesting paid off handsomely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Clarke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is what I was thinking, getting the money for the upgrades to put into your stash to tip you onto the victory when you are short a handful of gold for the VP.

Maybe could be a -1 glory point rule for downgrading to a sloop or fluyt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I hardly think it is worth changing any rules over (or pusuing as a strategy). The amount of gold you can earn that way is very little, and if it is just enough to give you the win, then why not? You invested heavily in your previous prize ship and now you sell it in order to live a comfortable life in luxury. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah if the few gold you would get from selling off your upgrades gives you the win, and you had the good judgement to make such a move, you deserve to it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dallas
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I very nearly won a game using this tactic. I had a heavily upgraded Frigate that I was bringing to port to sell. I should have made just enough money to bank and win the game. Unfortunately my heavily upgraded frigate became a heavily upgraded and heavily damaged frigate after a little sea battle gone awry and I wasn't able to make enough after deducting for repairs.

SD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.