Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm just dense, but I can't figure out what to do with ground units that are on the turn track. Are they placed like replacements? Do they go to the force pool? When exactly do they get placed? I'd appreciate a rules reference.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cfarrell wrote:
Maybe I'm just dense, but I can't figure out what to do with ground units that are on the turn track. Are they placed like replacements? Do they go to the force pool? When exactly do they get placed? I'd appreciate a rules reference.

Thanks!

Chris,
Check out 7.2 Turn Marker Segment, Step 1

"Ground units, support units, Convoy markers, Detachment markers, Logistics markers, and Partisan Base markers are placed in their faction's DS Force Pool."

I hope that helps,

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, got it, thanks! Not sure how I missed that. I think my brain cut out at the bottom of the column.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's ok man, when a rulebook gets thick enough, it's MUCH easier to pick up by playing it with someone who knows his way around it.

The time on the track represents how long it takes to rebuild the unit. A broken down unit may have the components, but can not rebuild into the multi step form until they are back. Though causalities are the most common reason for breakdowns, a smart player (especially the Germans,) learns to break down large forces to send them across the map as corps, since one step units get the road movement bonus. Then once they get to where they are going, you build them back up.

Also Russians are known to break down crappy units to get better infantry from from the second step. If they have the time, the next turn the build up the better infantry with the crappy step. It takes 2 turns, but the Russians can make their troops into a fighting force with re-organization.

All these theories are based on the first edition, I still haven't player the new edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cfarrell wrote:
Awesome, got it, thanks! Not sure how I missed that. I think my brain cut out at the bottom of the column.

I totally understand how this happens, especially with this great title. The reason this question comes up is most games handle anything around replacements and new counters at the beginning of the turn, so it is counter cultural to some degree.

The design is fundamentally a very clean wargame with an enormous number of nuanced strategies as depicted in the various unique chits. With all of that going on it is hard to find the obvious tree in the forest.

Off to continue my solo campaign of this...

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.