United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all.

I have had no problem finding plenty of sources for traditional Shogi, but does anyone know of any retailers of Chu Shogi sets? Can't seem to find any with my web searches.

Thanks,

Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, your best bet outside of Japan is Mrs. Angela Hodges, wife of Mr. George Hodges (who unfortunately died last year), who was the person that researched rules to many historical Shogi variants and the only manufacturer of many obscure Shogi variants outside of Japan. Mrs. Angela Hodges are still selling remaining stock, and when I ordered various sets from her earlier this summer (Poppy, Kyoto, Tori, Wa, Tenjuki and Dai-Dai - I already had Chu and the Middle Shogi Manual since a previous order), she was still listing Chu Shogi as being in stock.

The prices including shipping overseas (I assume that's the same price for US as for mainland Europe...) were then:
£65 Middle / Chu Shogi Board with 92 stamped plastic pieces
£40 The Middle Shogi Manual (looseleaf) - Mr. George Hodges' magnum opus, an extensive book on the rules and strategy of Chu Shogi, along with a large collection of historical mating problems.

If those prices strike you as reasonable, I would suggest you contact her and inquire about what she still has in stock and what the current prices are.

Her address and contact details can be found on http://www.hollandnumerics.demon.co.uk/BSF.HTM , and the email address is: george.hodges@talk21.com .

I hope this helps - Chu Shogi is an excellent game, with the unique Lion piece producing lots of exciting tactics. It takes a while to learn to use the variety of weaker pieces, but between better players, it's important to use them to support the stronger pieces in attack and defence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
Reviving this question in hopes that someone knows of an online shop in Japan that makes/sells chu shoji pieces/boards.

Only place I know of currently is Nekomado
http://shop.nekomado.com/products/list.php?category_id=18
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Axford
United Kingdom
Stockport
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this shop by Googling '中将棋駒' which I believe means 'Chu Shogi pieces': https://kyoto-tengudo.jp/item/shogi-piece/1626.html. Though I wonder if you're meant to play with such high quality/price pieces or if they're just for display.

None of the other search results were shops. I'm fairly sure I've found other shops selling them in the past (including a site that had a variety of different scripts rather than just one set), but I can't remember how I got to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought supplies to make my own but need to just do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.