Popular Tags: [View All]
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What would it look like if A&A used a tactical battle board for combat resolution? I patched one together from bits and pieces and this is what I am experimenting with now...

So, how does it work?

1) The defender places his units on the battle board. Aircraft start in the reserves area.

2) The attacker places his units on the battle board. Aircraft start in the reserves area.

4) Players select artillery to use for directed fire and then exchange one round of directed artillery fire (1 dice roll). Units selected for directed artillery may not move or pair with infantry during this combat round. Place them on their side to indicate their status.

5) Attacker moves units. (Only units not engaged may move forward or laterally. Any unit may retreat to the rear or reserve area but may not leave the battle board.)

6) Players exchange fire as usual.

7) Defender moves units. (Only units not engaged may move forward or laterally. Any unit may retreat to the rear or reserve area but may not leave the battle board.)

8) Return to step 4 and repeat this cycle until there are no defenders remaining or the attacker decides to end the attack.

NOTE: Variant Rules for Directe Artillery may be found here: Directed Artillery

Other relevant optional rule sets may be found here...
Mechanized Infantry: Infantry Paired With Tanks
Combined Arms Bonus: Fighters Paired With Tanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, since you posed this as a question, my answer would be, "it would add a layer of decision-making/complexity that would not necessarily make battle resolution any less abstract than the existing battle board resolution system, though it could be fun." I mean, at least based on the approach you've illustrated here, a generic 'battlefield' and mechanistic rules for the use of various units does not impart any greater degree of historical fidelity to the play of the game than the current "line 'em up and roll '1's'" system. However, if the goal of this 'tactical' system is not so much to add "accuracy" to battle resolution as it is to simply give the players more decisions to make for the sake of making decisions (which is fine, by the way), then yes, this could be cool. It might also drive somewhat different unit purchase decisions as well, which could be interesting, though I haven't thought that out entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just for fun and to give a tactical flavor to the combat resolution (still highly abstract) and give players more decisions that can affect the outcome of a battle.

I had also considered having units fire into adjacent areas rather than moving into the areas to conduct combat.

I was also thinking of allowing the defender to initiate a round of combat after their move.

These are things that need to be playtested to see how/if they work and I provide them merely for your consideration and amusement. Thank you for even looking at this and most especially for your comments.meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may add a considerable amount of playing time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect you are right! That is one of the reasons I didn't post this in the A&A 1940 thread.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Martin
United States
CAMAS
WA
flag msg tools
designer
"...but only slightly less well known is this:
badge
...never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!"
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer55 wrote:
considerable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.