Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I bought some of those $3.99 booster packs on clearance at Target to go with a Clone Wars starter. I'll be playing mostly with my son, who is 11 years old. We enjoy collecting, but we're not going to be fanatic about it. If he became dead set on a figure, I might get it for him, but I'm not going to scour eBay to complete sets.

We bought approximately:

1 Clone Wars starter
4 Clone Wars boosters *forgot to list these when I posted*
10-12 Imperial Entanglements boosters
3 Legacy of the Force boosters
3 Alliances and Empire boosters
1 Jedi Acacemy booster
1 Knights of the Old Republic booster
1 Force Unleashed booster

So obviously a good chunk of my commons are from Imperial Entanglements, and I have a good selection of various types of Stormtroopers and Clone Troopers.

What are some of the more useful/fun common types that we might want to try for our first couple games?

About how many of each common figure will we usually want to keep, and are there some types that we might want to keep more of? I don't really need any for RPG use. I've heard that the Jawas are useful as well as the Bespin Guards.

As for rares of characters I recognize, we've got a Darth Vader, two Princess Leia (including the Jedi Knight version), Padme, Qui-Gon, General Grievous. C3PO Ewok Deity, Secura, Yularen, Commander Gree and Odd Ball.

Thanks for youre suggestions.

EDIT: Updated to list Clone Wars boosters I forgot about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
If I may, I direct you to The Holocron for their decent analysis of many of the latter-day SWMinis sets.

Here is the page for Imperial Entanglements:
http://www.the-holocron.com/index.php?option=com_content&tas...

It gives a good mini-by-mini review of what's useful & what's not.
You may also try Bloomilk.com for another excellent resource to see which of your minis are winners, and which can be safely tossed back in the box.

Yularen works with a lot of squads, throw him in with Gree and some clone troopers and it would be fun & competitive. Or Secura, Gree, and some Clone Troopers. C3P0 Ewok Deity is as useless as his sculpt is nice, unfortunately. Not sure which Grievous you have, but any GG can be fun to use with some droids, especially if he has the quad-attack kickin'. For more hints, just examine the Commander Effects that your minis may have & build synergies from there. Then once you've played a game or two you'll know what squads you like running & which you don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like you're in the neighborhood of about 150 miniatures. The game is supposed to be played faction vs faction, but with a smaller collection it's generally better to ignore factions and either play light side vs dark side or even ignore factions completely. 150 is probably about the breaking point where you'd want to start paying attention to faction restrictions when building squads, so it could go either way. Depends on what you have.

From Imperial Entanglements, you probably have Crix Madine and a bunch of Rebel commandos - there's a good squad. And you probably have Thrawn (Mith...). Him with anything is a good squad. Those two are two major pieces of some of the top squads. I don't know which one you have, but almost all the Vaders are good.

Mouse Droids are incredibly useful with most commanders if you got any of those. Keep them all.

General Obi-Wan Kenobi from the starter set is so good that he's the only character ever banned from competitive play. Give him to your son. (GOWK came back to competitive play later, after a modification to Soresu Style Mastery.)

Door control is a key part of the game. Opening/closing/timing/etc. As such, R2-D2 and Lobot are very important - they both have Override, a key ability. If one side has Override and the other doesn't, it can be a huge advantage. Ugnaught Demolitionists can blow doors open, and are one of the key pieces in the game. Ugnaughts and Mouse Droids (3 points each) are thrown in as filler/fodder in just about every squad to get doors open and help the commanders. Unfortunately, Ugnaught Demolitionists are from a set you didn't get any of. They're actually useful enough that it's worth printing out the card and then using a proxy for it (any Ugnaught Droid Destroyers you got from the IE packs):

http://www.the-holocron.com/images/stories/Articles/cards/co...

Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler is arguably the best shooter in the game (taking cost into consideration). You may have got him from IE.

Bloomilk.com has a good squad builder/collection tracker.

Enough rambling for now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Darth Vader, Legacy of the Force. And I did get Thrawn, Crix, Dash and a bunch of Mouse Droids. I guess I can give Obi-Wan to my son.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
I have Darth Vader, Legacy of the Force. And I did get Thrawn, Crix, Dash and a bunch of Mouse Droids. I guess I can give Obi-Wan to my son.

How many is 'a bunch'? I've heard people complain about getting 0 or 1 out of 12 IE boosters. You may have gotten pretty lucky there!

Here's an all-IE squad that you might be able to pull off:

Vader Legacy 71
Thrawn 32
Dash 28
181st Imperial Pilot x2 24
Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo 18
Lobot, CLO 15
Mouse Droid x4 12

If you happened to get Tarkin from Alliance & Empire, this squad could be really scary.

(200 point squads is sort of the standard game size, but the game works pretty anywhere from 75 up to about 300 or so.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I got at least four Mouse Droids, plus all the rest of those figures, so I could definitely try that squad. Don't think I got Tarkin, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You listed Odd Ball (from Clone Wars) and Yularen (from Galaxy at War), but you didn't say you had boosters from either of those sets. Maybe you have more than you realize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, I did buy three or four Clone Wars boosters. Forgot about those. I don't remember getting any Galaxy at War. But I just sort of grabbed whatever Target had on clearance and may have overlooked the name of one of the boosters. My son and I had a lot of fun ripping them open and seeing what we got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Djali
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hakuna
badge
Matata
mb
Sooooo jealous.... 3.99$ for a booster...
wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.