Popular Tags: [View All]
David Wann
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound game session.
Played with all the card expansions.

Finally after a few weeks I was able to catch up with 2 of my gaming buddies. However we were down by two so we had to choose a different game than we had played. Our host had lent me Runebound previously, which I returned today so we decided to play that as my 2 buddies hadn’t played it for a few years.

At the character draw I picked the archer that can make 2 ranged attacks per turn. One friend was dealt Sir Valadir and the other was given Dorn. I didn’t like my chances here.

The game started off slowly with the other Dorn and Valadir getting reacquainted with the game.
A few challenges each later someone drew the event card that gave the first player with more than 5 XP a free item next time they return to Tamalir. This became a bit of a race between us all as there was already an Elven Wraproot in Tamalir and we all wanted it. Valadir was the first to try a yellow challenge and succeeded giving him the required XP to gain the free item. Dorn had his turn next and also won against a yellow giving him the XP required. I was also 2 XP off the 5 XP total so also attempted a yellow, and failed miserably.

So there became a race to Tamalir. Valadir could easily get there before Dorn so he decided to stop off along the way and take care of another yellow on the way through to Tamalir. To Sir Valadirs chagrin he failed and was sent to the closest town, Riverwatch. In the end due to bad dice rolling Dorn got to Tamalir first. This item made Dorn so much more powerful than the rest of us.

In an attempt to keep up with Dorn and Valadir I attempted a yellow again with a free port to Vynevale the result. Dorn and Valadir were chugging along nicely, starting to rack up the XP and gaining a few cool items.

The game changing dice roll, as we all decided during our discussion occurred with Dorn attempting the first blue challenge. Dorn used all the abilities he could to boost up a defense roll. Dorn needed a 10 or more to succeed, if he failed he would die, lose about 15 gold and the Elven Wraproot. We all hung avidly on the roll of the dice, the first one stopped and came up a 3. Tension mounted, breaths were held and result was 7! He made it. Just as Dorn was celebrating his victory over the evil forces of the blue challenge.

I had been holding onto a pixie skill challenge card for just this occasion and played it. This allowed me to force Dorn to reroll any 1 10-sided dice. Of course I picked the 7. After some cursing Dorn picked up the die and rolled again. You could have heard a pin drop in that room, we were all mesmerized by the spin of the die. It seemed to take forever to stop, on an 8. NOOOO!

Basically the Elven Wraproot gave Dorn a superior advantage the rest of us struggled to overcome. We did our best to hinder and slow Dorn down but eventually he was able to grind out 3 wins against red challenges.

What a great game. I had no chance of ever winning so did my best to help Valadir and hinder Dorn.

We wrapped up our gaming session excited and happy, full of stories about our successes, failures and near misses. Runebound really takes on a life of its own when you put some effort into imagining it as a story. Would definitely play this again with these 2 guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.