Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this game completely out of print? I noticed FFG doesn't even have a mini site for it. It looks great, but on the fence on whether or not this game is worth my money and time especially since it's out of print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's been a long time since FFG did not renew the license
You can find the game on some places to buy, specially eBay. The expansion is a little more difficult, but still can be found.

I bought mine+expansion used from eBay, and got lucky, the owner looked like cared a lot for the game, and it was quite new

Do not get intimidated by it being out of print, it is a very nice game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is this compared to Space Hulk?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konata
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can find it quite frequently on math trades, if you're into that at all (you should be)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing like Space Hulk, other than you should expect a hard time winning. Mechanics are completely different. Enemies are more varied than the typical Genestealer. You don't have a squad of marines. You have individuals that have to work together, using different skill sets, trying to make it out of the level.

I highly recommend Doom. Just because it's OOP doesn't mean that it's not any good. FFG didn't really support it even when they still held the license. I wonder if Gears of War will be the same way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doom's a great game, but I held off on buying the expansion recently because I'm curious how Gears of War and Descent 2nd. Ed. are going to turn out.

Someone on these forums has said that a 2nd expansion was in the works but never got published because the 1st expansion didn't sell well. Compared to Descent, Doom's reviews were more neutral - I think that's because of the theme and difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Finley
United States
Aston
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
As soon as I saw that the expansion was getting impossible to find I snagged it. Then I bought the base game. I'm very glad I did. Awesome game that actually has a place on my shelf alongside Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I have had more fun with this game than spacehulk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
I have had more fun with this game than spacehulk.

I second this - granted, I've only played Doom with 4-player, but I imagine one player controlling multiple marines would work OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If money is an object, look into Descent and Gears of War. Doom came before Descent, and is a "streamlined" version of the latter game. Gears of War is coop vs. Doom and Descent's "party vs. game master", but is thematically similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen groups love doom but hate descent and visa versa, it does all depend on your group though. Anyway that is a topic for another thread .

Back to the OP question:

Personally if you can pick up both the original and the expansion I would, to me the mechanics are more streamlined. Yes there are some rules that need asking from time to time but BGG seems to have the answers.

Just don't get sucked in paying an excessive amount for them. I got mine a while back at around $100.00NZD right around the time FFG had it on sale.

So if you can pick it up then I would do so

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are a lot of similarities between Doom and SpaceHulk, so much it's why I bought Doom in the first place. When I saw Doom at the gamestore, 1) it was the biggest game there and 2) it was the most expensive ($60 USD, before the big coffin box games of FFG). Those two factors scared me, and i remember laughing at the general concept. Doom, the *boardgame*?!? If I want to play Doom, I'll play my computer game!

But then I looked at the back of the box. There were interlocking tiles the like I hadn't seen since SpaceHulk! I loved SpaceHulk and so read on. Marines vs. Alien like creatures, again like SpaceHulk! Beautiful mi iatures I could paint, like SpaceHulk! And it was more than 2 players, even better than SpaceHulk! I had to buy it.

Now, before you jump all over my comparisons, yes they are different games. Doom is more deeper of a game, many more options to consider, etc. Here's a detailed list off the top of my head of differences:
- More than 2 players
- Facing of mini has no bearence (360 los)
- no marine perma-death (respawn after frag)
- marines have special abilities (cards)
- Action Pts replaced by specific actions to do (Move, Attack)
- "badguys" much more varied (not just one Genestealer)
- Invader player has a deck of cards, special abilities
- monsters spawn (similar to ambush tokens)
- no blips

And of course there are a lot more differences. All in all, they are similar enough games that if you liked SpaceHulk, chances are you'll like Doom. I love them both for their own reasons (SH is easier/quicker to play, Doom has more options, both are tactical survival games, fun!).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Vargas
United States
Farmers Branch
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wish it wasn't out of print, Mostly because I can't Find the expansion anywhere the only 2 people selling it here on BBG in the USA are asking WAY to much for it. I think the worst thing I've ever done was go to a store in the mall and pass on the expansion, just because I didn't own the core sent. I really regret not getting it. I just made myself really sad. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
The biggest difference between Space Hulk and Doom is doom has a lot more controlled chaos. Space Hulk you can look at the map at the start and more or less work out the perfect strategy for the map, ajusting it for how the die rolls go. In Doom you can't do that due to the demon players cards and much greater options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WAN CHIU
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Maybe I have been playing it wrong but without having to worry about facing makes Doom a lot less tactical and a lot more about running around, picking up stuff and shoot, which is what i like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chooche wrote:
...about running around...

I think that the only viable option to win is running away .

While i loved (and love) Space Hulk (1ed), i'd rather play Doom over and over. Choosing facing in Space hulk is as much tactical than choosing the right order or (being a multiplayer game) who do what in Doom. And i talk with friends doing it as a bonus.
The invader role in Doom have far more options than the Aliens... oh, sorry whistle, the 'stealers in Space Hulk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.