Popular Tags: [View All]
Yuri Walkiw
Canada
Sturgeon County
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic: The Gathering is a really fantastic game and hobby, but it can be really intimidating to newer players. I just wrote an article on my website, Hex19, about the top 5 ways to get started in Magic. You can check it out here.

To summarize:

1. Duels of the Planeswalkers
2. Head to Your Friendly Local Gaming Store (FLGS)
3. Get an Intro Pack
4. Get a Duel Deck
5. Play in a Limited Event

Thanks so much for reading! How did you first get into Magic: The Gathering? Please share! For me it was the Duels of the Planeswalkers released in 2009 on XBLA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it was back in the days of Mavislight (Mirage, Visions, Weatherlight)
There was a market stall each Thursday that carried Star Wars ccg. I collected it but unfortunately had no one to play against.
While I was there chatting to the owner, he & a couple of others were playing a card game that they taught me & so we used to gather each Thursday, get a random starter deck & play for ante.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that this is a good way to make a post here that still provides some info from your own blog or website without being a shill-like promotion. I appreciated that you breakdown the basics of your article without being overly pushy about expecting your readers to go there.

Because of that, I am now interested in checking your site out when I get a chance. Thanks for the insights on the game, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ypod wrote:
How did you first get into Magic: The Gathering?

Around this time (September) last year a friend and I bought some Magic 2011 core set introductory decks after he was introduced to the game by someone else. He bought a handful more cards but my collection has grown quite large in the intervening year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Nikolaou
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in a very small town in Greece, where no game stores exist. I saw Portal's advertisement in a computer gaming magazine (around Weatherlight), ordered it by mail and was self-taught

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
ypod wrote:
How did you first get into Magic: The Gathering?

It was September 1994. I had just started my second year at the university. I started reading on the RPG groups on Usenet about this new card game that "everybody" in the hobby played. It sounded interesting, so I casually mentioned it to a friend of mine. So he basically said: "Ok, let's go to our FLGS and see if they have it". We went and they had it. We each bought two Revised starters and went home to read the rules. Later that day we tried it and were basically hooked and later a few other friends bought starters as well. And we played it a lot.

I don't remember much of those first cards, but I do remember that I got Sol Ring, Demonic Attorney, Demonic Hordes, Phantom Monster, and Phantasmal Forces in that first starter. I still have that Sol Ring and probably both of those blue fliers (they were killers in that starter!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuri Walkiw
Canada
Sturgeon County
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
I think that this is a good way to make a post here that still provides some info from your own blog or website without being a shill-like promotion. I appreciated that you breakdown the basics of your article without being overly pushy about expecting your readers to go there.

Thanks. I never want to be pushy. My friends and I didn't start the site to make money or pageviews, we just wanted a way to share our opinions with like minded geeks on the internet. I don't want to be annoying on these forums, but hopefully there are more people that enjoy the articles than people that dislike the advertising.

Moonleaf wrote:
I live in a very small town in Greece, where no game stores exist. I saw Portal's advertisement in a computer gaming magazine (around Weatherlight), ordered it by mail and was self-taught

That's really awesome! I'd never be brave enough to do that, haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.