United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
So, during setup, each player recieves a gas can, three of their own infection cards, and one random card from the deck BEFORE the host card is added.

1) If this card is a Parasite Alert card, it is resolved, discarded, and a replacement is drawn. However, pieces are not placed on the board until right before the first action point is spent by the team. So, [A]The card does nothing, is discarded, and humans cheer? or {B} A parasite appears in the room and hits EVERYONE for 1 damage? I'm leaning towards [A].

2) Am I correct that Troopers cannot attack? Does this mean they are basically scouts that go looking for items while the androids provide the defense/muscle?

Clarified order of actions

Okay, so
A) Enter room
B) Activate "Parasite Alert" if it's that sort of room.
C) "Encounter Characters" You must choose one of these:
C.1) You must trade with a character OR
C.2) You may decline to trade. However, your first action must be to attack the teammate.
D) You may not perform actions in the room up to your AP limit. EXCEPTION: if you attacked a teammate at any point, you cannot team search.

1) Does this mean that the only way to decline a trade is when it's my turn and I enter a room and I declare that my first AP will be an attack against my potential trade partner?
2) If there's more than one player, will my declined trade/attack nullify ALL trade, or must I instead trade with them? I think it would nullify trade in general.
3) So, I can "Team Search" and then shoot a teammate with a later AP?

Computer Terminals
Each player can take a maximum of one "computer terminal" action per turn? Does this flip the card and make it red? Can the location be searched (and will THAT make it red?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bungeeboy wrote:
So, during setup, each player recieves a gas can, three of their own infection cards, and one random card from the deck BEFORE the host card is added.

1) If this card is a Parasite Alert card, it is resolved, discarded, and a replacement is drawn. However, pieces are not placed on the board until right before the first action point is spent by the team. So, [A]The card does nothing, is discarded, and humans cheer? or {B} A parasite appears in the room and hits EVERYONE for 1 damage? I'm leaning towards [A].

2) Am I correct that Troopers cannot attack? Does this mean they are basically scouts that go looking for items while the androids provide the defense/muscle?

Clarified order of actions

Okay, so
A) Enter room
B) Activate "Parasite Alert" if it's that sort of room.
C) "Encounter Characters" You must choose one of these:
C.1) You must trade with a character OR
C.2) You may decline to trade. However, your first action must be to attack the teammate.
D) You may not perform actions in the room up to your AP limit. EXCEPTION: if you attacked a teammate at any point, you cannot team search.

1) Does this mean that the only way to decline a trade is when it's my turn and I enter a room and I declare that my first AP will be an attack against my potential trade partner?
2) If there's more than one player, will my declined trade/attack nullify ALL trade, or must I instead trade with them? I think it would nullify trade in general.
3) So, I can "Team Search" and then shoot a teammate with a later AP?

Computer Terminals
Each player can take a maximum of one "computer terminal" action per turn? Does this flip the card and make it red? Can the location be searched (and will THAT make it red?)

Let me tackle them one by one.

1) Actually, this question confused me simply because it only makes sense for me with the game in front of me.
Effectively, the way the game is played the character discs only enter play during the human action turn, and it is best to do this in pairs of two to not make the start location crowded.
So, given the fact the parasite phase is before the human action phase the parasite alert cards take no effect and are discarded.
Players who want to have a tough game (and we sometimes do this with experienced players) can put the discs already on the starting location before cards are drawn, so there is a potential attack.
This could result in humans starting their turn with already some damage , forcing them to explore and locate the medic bay. But this variant should not be played by beginners.

2) Exactly. This creates vital decissions and a balance act for the player. He needs both characters and thus needs to keep them both alive.
If he looses the trooper he will not be able to destroy the hive and as a result must trust another trooper to do so. If he looses his Android he will be low on defence and an easy prey for parasites.

3) in step 3 I reckon you mean "You may not perform" should have been "You may now perform". The rest is correct. The only way to avoid a trade during your turn is by attacking a team member when you enter a new location.
Indeed, the attack eliminates the need of all potential trades in the location. And yes, you can perfectly attack after a team search. It would not be ethical, but then again...this is a mean game

Terminal: using the terminal doesn't turn the card towards the red icon.
This only apllies to the sick bay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ausloosd wrote:

1) the rules does state that parasite cards are resolved immediately, even when they are drawn during the first draw of cards.
This means there is a potential situation that a team starts the game with a parasite attack. I understand that this sounds a bit harsh, but this also creates a unique narrative were the team has some extra pressure to locate the medic bay.
Granted, this only happens rarely since there are only two of these cards in the deck, so the odds of drawing one in the first pick of cards are low. But players can if they want to create a variant if they wnt to get a soft entry into the station that simply says a parasite card drawn for the starting hand may be discarded.

Gotcha. The source of my question is the fact that this parasite attack can occur during "setup", and the rules state to place pieces on the board before the first team phase, which is after setup and after the first parasite phase. So, pieces should be placed during setup instead is what you're saying. Ok.

The game looks intriguing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
no flag
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bungeeboy wrote:
Gotcha. The source of my question is the fact that this parasite attack can occur during "setup", and the rules state to place pieces on the board before the first team phase, which is after setup and after the first parasite phase.

Yes, that's exactly how I read the rules in french. As written, there can't be an attack during set up as a player should place his pieces right after the Parasite Phase and before he takes his first action.

bungeeboy wrote:
Gotcha. The source of my question is the fact that this parasite attack can occur during "setup", and the rules state to place pieces on the board before the first team phase, which is after setup and after the first parasite phase. So, pieces should be placed during setup instead is what you're saying. Ok.

But, if the designer disagree himself, may we consider the following sentence as an official errata ?: "Players' pieces should be placed on the Reactor Room during setup, before each player receives 1 gas can card and 1 randomly drawn card from the Search deck".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great point. Is this an official change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Todea
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have thought that if a Parasite alert is dealt to a player during initial setup, a parasite would appear in the control room, before the game starts (that's from following the rules of placing parasites). Then the game starts with the parasite phase where the parasite can't really move (there's only 1 room) and also deals no damage as no discs are in there yet. Then the players start entering the room, so the parasite will not harm them until the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tzutzy wrote:
I would have thought that if a Parasite alert is dealt to a player during initial setup, a parasite would appear in the control room, before the game starts (that's from following the rules of placing parasites). Then the game starts with the parasite phase where the parasite can't really move (there's only 1 room) and also deals no damage as no discs are in there yet. Then the players start entering the room, so the parasite will not harm them until the next turn.

That is correct.
I again note that drawing a paraiste card in the setup face happens only rarely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Todea
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply David and congrats on the fine game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Aldebert
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ausloosd wrote:
And yes, you can perfectly attack after a team search. It would not be ethical, but then again...this is a mean game

I don't understand. As I understood the rules, when you enter a room where another player is present you first have to decide if you attack or not. So if decide not to attack, I can team search and then attack? Weird, no?

Or maybe the rule must be understood that way: when I first enter a room where another player is present:
- if I want to avoid a trade, I have to attack. Later on my turn, I can do whatever I want (except team search), even trade
- if I don't attack first, I have to trade, and then later on my turn, I can do whatever I want, including attack (even after a team search)
Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zippog wrote:
ausloosd wrote:
And yes, you can perfectly attack after a team search. It would not be ethical, but then again...this is a mean game

I don't understand. As I understood the rules, when you enter a room where another player is present you first have to decide if you attack or not. So if decide not to attack, I can team search and then attack? Weird, no?

Or maybe the rule must be understood that way: when I first enter a room where another player is present:
- if I want to avoid a trade, I have to attack. Later on my turn, I can do whatever I want (except team search), even trade
- if I don't attack first, I have to trade, and then later on my turn, I can do whatever I want, including attack (even after a team search)
Is this correct?

Didier, this is indeed correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Aldebert
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.