Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Sanderlin
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any official 2 player variants? I could see why it wouldn't be designed for 2 because it might be too easy for one player to wipe the other player from the game too easily. Perhaps a non-hostile empire building only? No combat would be allowed. Simply the first person to gain 5 monuments would be the winner? Or maybe the homeworlds would be off limits (they could be considered to be too well defended) so that you could still steal systems from eachother but not the home planet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raabe
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game and read the instructions but haven't played it yet, but I think there's a simple way to do a two person game. Just require the attacker to disclose with how many ships he's attacking with before the defender has to choose their ships. This would still allow combat, but it would be harder to succeed at invasion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raabe
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The creator of the game has a blog, and in it he once posted a suggestion for a 2 player variant.

Jean-Paul Lapointe wrote:
When we designed the Portable Galactic Empire, one of the challenges we faced was how many people would be allowed to play out of the box. We went with a maximum of 6. However, I would not say that is the ideal number. Truth be told, they probably aren't enough cards in a single set for six players, with the exception of monuments.

For a two player game there are too many cards. If you wish to play a two player game of PGE, I would recommend reducing some of the cards. Remove 3 or 4 sets of weapons as well as half the defenses. Reduce each of the improvements by a count of 6. Reduce the planets and systems by removing all of the larges. Finally reduce the number of monuments in the deck to 6. Victory now requires only 4 monuments.

Unfortunately, with only 2 people playing the chance of stalemate increases. As a result I also recommend you use a sudden death rule. After a monument has been played by either player, each player rolls a d6 at the start of their turn, before the Invasion step. If the result is a six, the game ends without playing that player's turn. The person with the most monuments in play wins. If there is a tie, use resources as a tie breaker. The person with the largest pile of stuff wins.

We haven't really play tested that enough to know its going to work 100%, but it should make for a faster game with 2 people. As always, you should remember that any game out of the box is a framework how you choose to play it is ultimately up to you. And if you come up with what seems look a cool variation, let us know. We love to hear from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Paul Lapointe
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

This is a fairly old thread, but I can now confirm my hypothesis. If you cut down the number of systems this makes a tighter two player game. It's not necessary, but brings the game back to a manageable amount of time.

With out this change the game can take a lot longer. Which is OK if you're prepared for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.