Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
( not exactly board games in video games, but rather turn based video games that looks like board games)

I am currently playing Romance of the 3 kingdom 6 and I always found that these kind of games could be easy to program. Most of the game consist in having a data base with lot of information, show a portion of that information to the user with a UI and give the user actions to modify that information.

I know that there are some video game engines out there that allows you to easily make old school video games without too much programming. But I was wondering if there was actually other engine for managing spreadsheet games.

I think the most elegant solution would be to have an engine that makes it a web browser game. It would be easier to make custom user interfaces.

Zun Tsu and vassal are not really an option because the player needs to apply the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also thought for a long time about trying to make some kind of spreadsheet-based simple text adventure creator using a noun/verb grid. I don't know if I'll ever strike upon a practical solution, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Uckelman
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll be able to do this with VASSAL 4, all except the in-browser part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SIMONE DONNINI
Italy
Varese
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What you describe is not an easy task. Maybe you think it's easy because there's no need for advanced graphics (like 3D, etc). But I can assure you that designing and developing the UI aint an easy task anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny how me and others have complained about computer wargames being like spreadsheets (lots of data, very little game) and you try to suggest doing games from table data as a good thing. : (

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://mysqlgame.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.