Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Steward
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased Innsmouth Horror, and have gone through the rules and components and there are a few things I just want to make sure I am interpreting correctly.

1. The rulebook says "(Being delayed when arrested in Innsmouth) occurs even if the investigator is normally immune to being delayed." The one character I can think of that is immune to being delayed is Mark Harrigan, but he can't be arrested. His ability to never be arrested is still applicable for getting arrested in Innsmouth, correct?

2. Quachil Uttaus's GOO Sheet indicates that the first player can spend two clue tokens instead of drawing from the dust deck, and says nothing about not being able to pass the first player marker. The dust cards appear to prevent passing the marker but you of course don't draw one if you spent the clues. The instruction manual says "the first player marker is never passed until Quachil Uttaus finally tracks down the first player and devours him." Do you think this is an error in the instruction manual? Otherwise why wouldn't it mention never passing the first player marker on QU's sheet, and why would they bother to mention not passing the marker on the dust cards if that happens regardless of the dust cards?

3. Norman Withers's "In the Stars" Ability - Would this work on removing Corruption Cards from BGotW just as it works on the monsters?

Thanks for any insight you can give!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about item 1 and 3, but we recently had item 2 come up in our game. We decided the description of that particular agent one in the rule book is just badly written, and that paying the clue tokens does allow passing of the first player token, because otherwise it would be stupid for them to have put the text saying you can't pass it on the cards. We could be wrong though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Don't know, but it'd be a big advantage if he can't get arrested in Innsmouth

2) The unfortunate First Player cannot pass the 1st Player marker till Q-U devours him, sorry. Q-U is the personification of relentless, certain Death....

3) Yup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:

2) The unfortunate First Player cannot pass the 1st Player marker till Q-U devours him, sorry. Q-U is the personification of relentless, certain Death....

If that is true, then why do all the cards that you draw say that the effect of drawing the card means you can't pass the starting player token?? Because you are saying, that that effect applies whether you draw the card or not.

One way or another something is sloppily written. either the manual is right, and the cards should not bother saying what most of them say because they just confuse the issue. or the implication of the cards are right and the "impending doom" on the first player only applies if the player draws one of the cards.

Either interpretation is perfectly reasonable given the way the cards and manual have been written. And there is no mention of this in the FAQ, so I don't see how we know for sure one way or another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stewaa991 wrote:
1. The rulebook says "(Being delayed when arrested in Innsmouth) occurs even if the investigator is normally immune to being delayed." The one character I can think of that is immune to being delayed is Mark Harrigan, but he can't be arrested. His ability to never be arrested is still applicable for getting arrested in Innsmouth, correct?

2 things:
Keeping themselves covered for any future expansions
Referring to items or other effects that may grant investigators immunity to being delayed.

stewaa991 wrote:
2. Quachil Uttaus's GOO Sheet indicates that the first player can spend two clue tokens instead of drawing from the dust deck, and says nothing about not being able to pass the first player marker. The dust cards appear to prevent passing the marker but you of course don't draw one if you spent the clues. The instruction manual says "the first player marker is never passed until Quachil Uttaus finally tracks down the first player and devours him." Do you think this is an error in the instruction manual? Otherwise why wouldn't it mention never passing the first player marker on QU's sheet, and why would they bother to mention not passing the marker on the dust cards if that happens regardless of the dust cards?

It is far more likely that the rules are correct and that the text on the cards is a reminder of this effect (yes, putting the reminder on the Ancient One sheet would be more helpful and less confusing, but there is already a ton of text on Quachil Uttaus' sheet), than the rules be flat out wrong, and the cards the only indication of when to refrain from passing the first player marker.
Or you could just search the forums and read it from the man himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Worst of all possible ways of resolving that is to put the text on the cards...since that creates the obvious contradiction with what is in the rules. would have been clearer to put nothing about that on the card at all and to mention it only in the rule book. but oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know about 3. So be safe, I've been playing corruptions and Withers exactly as written:

"When a gate is closed, all Corruption cards in play that match the closed gate's dimension symbol are discarded."

Seems inconspicuous on its own, but:

"Whenever Norman closes or seals a gate, he may choose any dimensional symbol other than the moon. The gate is considered to have that dimensional symbol instead of its normal dimensional symbol for purposes of removing monsters from the board."

Corruptions are not monsters, so the altered symbol does not apply here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steward
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the replies. Based on this I am going to interpret 1. Harrigan cannot be arrested in Innsmouth 2. The First player marker never passes when using QU unless the first player's investigator is devoured 3. Norman Withers's ability does not affect Corruptions.

Klintus, I'm with you regarding QU, this was confusing.

Tuckerotl, thanks for the link, you can't cite a better authority than the game designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.