Popular Tags: [View All]
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tags module on a game page doesn't clearly indicate how popular individual tags are, and most of them are hidden unless you click the View All link. This also means that there are lots of differently entered tags for the same thing. E.g. Hive has the following 5 tags:

modular_board (2)
Mech-ModularBoard (1)
modular-board (1)
modularboard (1)
Mech:Modular-board(1)

Could this be updated with a more conventional tag cloud, where the size of the tag is proportional to it's popularity.

This should then over time lead to a reduction in the number of different tags as people adopt a consistent folksonomy, which in turn makes searching or browsing tags easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I interlinked the various dictionaries the other day. I just linked tag definitions to all the other dictionaries. So we have:

* Common Tags - Definitions of commonly used tags.
* Game Abbreviations
* Glossary - Main Geek glossary
* Publisher Abbreviations
* RPG Glossary Role Players Gamers
* VGG Glossary (Video Gamers Glossary)

-----------------------

ADMIN - If there is an admin that has the stomach for it I'm willing to play tag police.

(1) I'll add tag definitions in present tag cloud to wiki page.

(2) I'll identify tags which appear to be common.

For instance looking at the present tag cloud it seems that 2-Player is the most used term, and that 2P and 2 have the same meaning.

(3) Given list from Admin in (A), I'll add tags and definitions to wiki for some agreed upon frequent count. I'd guess that any tag used by more than 25 users, or a tag used by at least 5 users and used more than 50 times, would be a good first start.

(4) I'll identify in wiki what some of terms are assumed to be and what preferred term is. So 2P = Assumed to be 2-Player and 2-Player is the preferred term.

-----------------------------------

I'll need from admin:

(A) A database pull of the tags vs (1) count for that tag and (2) number of users who have used that tag.

Need to decide how far down to go. My guess is that if we fix any tag used more than 50 times that would be a very very good start. We could do another pass to look at 50 to 25. I'd expect more duplicate tags as the counts get lower.

(B) For admin to create a script which will e-mail folks saying basically that in 90 days, then 60 days, then 30 days, then in a week, that the tags 2P and 2 are going to be converted to the preferred tag 2-Person.

The email should specify a bail out. So if user XYZ wants his 2 tag changed to something else, then he should reply to note after adding the additional definition in the wiki and notify admin that he wants his 2 tags all changed to Too_Long meaning that the game takes too long to play for his taste.

(C) Need to work with admin to see if there are any tags just used by one user. So for user XYZ what is tag 72TRWEW? Is there a point to keeping track of such single use tags?

I'd guess that if the tag is used less than 25 tags leave it alone. Someone has to be first user of a tag. But if the tag is used 500 times buy one user then isn't there some "standard" tag that could be used?

(D) Agreement to do this in waves. Say once a quarter. So For Oct-Dec we identify no more than 25 tags to change by system intervention. Every quarter start on another 25.

Don't want to have 15 different lists going on at same time and confuse the hell out of everyone. Also a user is unlikely to be able to cope with a list of 200 changes to be done all at once.

(E) Finally there will be a need to enforce the notion that the tag has to get defined first, then it can be used. So system needs to be modified to have tag_name and an tag_definition. There needs to be a dialog "Hey this tag isn't defined. You really want to use this tag?" In a year this will change to "You can't add this tag because it isn't defined." Then the system will make the user define the tag before he can use it. Also need tool to dump defined tags into format that can be used in wiki. Also need tool to import starting tag_name and tag_definitions from wiki into system.

----------------

Finally I'll take the position that without some admin support it isn't worth wasting my time on this. There is no global search and replace for tags for users so it is unrealistic to expect that some user is going to open up 250 games and change his tag 2P to 2-Player.

---------------------

Anyone else have any thought on my proposal?

--------
edit 9/14/2011 7:10pm

Report needs to be more sophisticated. For instance boxtop a tag which will be almost always used on images. so need count of how many times tag is used by type of thing being tagged (game,image, forum thread, ?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
There is no global search and replace for tags for users so it is unrealistic to expect that some user is going to open up 250 games and change his tag 2P to 2-Player.

There is. My Geek > Tags > Rename Tags (on right-hand side, under your list of tags).

However, I'm not sure any kind of admin / moderation action to standardise tags is the way to go. Standardisation tends to happen anyway when conventional tag clouds are used, and I fully support the ability for users to maintain their own lexicon for their own reasons. You'd be setting yourself up for a lot of workload, and it would be ongoing. I think this would only really be feasible with a much smaller userbase. As it is, I think a tag cloud would give the critical mass for self-organisation to occur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
herace wrote:
There is no global search and replace for tags for users so it is unrealistic to expect that some user is going to open up 250 games and change his tag 2P to 2-Player.

There is. My Geek > Tags > Rename Tags (on right-hand side, under your list of tags).

Thanks for the correction about making find & replace tag changes. I didn't remember that feature.

Since users do have global search and replace I'll add the tags in present tag cloud to the wiki page of definitions. That should help some. Anything else will need admin support. In part it is training the herd and changing the expectation. Sure you can use your own tags, but using common ones is better.

There are only about 10 in first tag cloud list that I think are duplicates.

Beyond adding some more tags to the wiki and marking a few of the depreciated, and I'll still need admin support.

All in all database management requires constant cleaning up the data. If the admins developed a few tools to facilitate the clean up then it could be done on-going without much problem. the reality is that tag cleaning up is no doubt low on their priority list. So I'm not holding my breath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Added all terms in current tag cloud to wiki. If term was already in wiki then I used the definition that was there.

I also added a table on top for lesser used terms. So the suggestion is to use 2-Player instead of 2P to mean a 2-Player game.

See: Common Tags
Feel free to add more definitions.

I setup forum thread:
Tags & Tag Meanings in Glossary
to argue about discuss tag definitions.

I don't plan on doing anything else with this unless admin wants to work with me. I don't have capability to get lists oftags except by crawling through database game by game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.